passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Final Fantasy General Chat

Jimboxy

Well Finished XII today, Well after the initial positive progress, It grew stale very quickly.

The Story is as boring as I remember, uninspired characters bar 1 or 2 a bad guy who you barely see anything of, let alone

feel he is a threat. and Dragged on to long in the end. Not Bad Just Dull as hell.

Though If I am going to give it a positive the game play mechanicsare way better than I recalled and actually enjoyed them at times, though if over levelled like I was at the end it presented little to no challenge.

Glad I replayed it if Just to remind me why I started to sour on the series for some years.

It really shows how quickly games have evolved during the 90s and early 2000s and how that impacts our perception (or mine at least). Comparing FFXIII to VII Remake isn't even remotely as big a step even though it's the same ten year timespan.

Has anyone played Dissidia? The console one, not the PSP games. I imagine it might be something I can retroactively look at via the backwards thingy of PS5. But I haven't seen anyone talk about it. Which is usually a bad sign with the FF series ?

That's what I hear. Strange that is the case though. As I thought a handheld is the worst possible place for a fighting game, ala the Power Stone PSP port.  So it seems weird that the leap to console didn't work.

Watching one of the recent DeS remake videos, I read a comment that said "I'd love to see Bluepoint remake FFVII". One of the first replies being "Square already burned that bridge!"

Bluepoint would probably have made an extremely pretty 1:1 version of the original, with turn-based combat and all that.

It's a cool "what if" situation to think about. Not sure it would have been better or worse than what we got, seeing as I haven't played the remake (yet).

1:1 would mean keeping fixed camera angles and stuff, I don't know if you approach that like a Divinity game maybe.

I'm definitely in the camp that I'd prefer an ambitious failure than a safe success when it comes to remakes. Otherwise it's just like you're getting the same game again rather than a new one.

I do think FFVIIR sort of sucks though. It's so slow and boring, hardly anything happens in it.  It ends right at the point when the story just starts in the original. Carried by its brilliant combat and music. 

On 27/10/2020 at 15:15, OCH said:

Has anyone played Dissidia? The console one, not the PSP games. I imagine it might be something I can retroactively look at via the backwards thingy of PS5. But I haven't seen anyone talk about it. Which is usually a bad sign with the FF series ?

I tried the free to play version on the console, the Moogle alone constantly saying Kupo was annoying AF.

• 2 months later...

Looks like we have a name for FFVII Remake's sequel

Theory crafting (ffvii remake spoilers)

Spoiler

Its a prequel to FFVII remake which resolves the alternative timeline stuff at the end. 'First Soldier' could mean that Sephiroth is the main playabale character, or figures prominently into it. Or its about Zack

Seems also like the follow up to remake isn't just going to be a straightforward scene for scene remake like FFVIIR was