passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jimboxy

Ages ago I said that they had cast themselves into a corner with Portman because I was convinced she'd be too short and too slim for Thor. But after seeing this and how much work she put into the role (just look at her shoulders) I have to say I was wrong. Even the helmet works really well with her facial features.

Going back to that She-Hulk trailer which I was very much looking forward to – I think it's a good trailer, but it's obviously a TV show and obviously a project about a lesser-known character, because you can count the dollar bills invested there on one hand almost. It does feel genuinely like She-Hulk though and she does look very classic Shulkie in some scenes, mostly when they're not in full sunlight (for example in the restaurant scene towards the end). I wonder if they changed her origin story or if they just cut the trailer that way, certainly hope it's the latter. But otherwise very much looking forward to it.

Gorr looks good, at least. But so did Hela and Surtur. A certainty this will be the same style over substance tonal mess as the last Thor though. So, a pass from me. Nice to see Tanngrisnir and Tanngnjóstr make it into the MCU though.

The Thor trailer is good but not as funny as I thought it would be. It looks great, I like what I’m seeing overall. Just thought it would be funnier. The last joke is good.

Just to catch up.

Dr. Strange: MoM was banging 🔥 not up there with Shang-Chi or NWH but slightly better than Eternals for me, miles better than Black Widow.

Finished Moon Knight and it was pretty good, I loved how weird it was and Oscar Isaac is incredible in it but it's not as good as Wandavision, Loki or Falcon and the Winter Soldier for me, far better than Hawkeye though.

She-Hulk looks cool but I know barely anything about the character so I'm struggling to care a bit. Thor 4 looks great and I have full faith in Taika but I agree with Maf, where's the humour? Just looks a bit serious at the moment, hope they're holding something back. 

3 hours ago, DisturbedSwan said:

She-Hulk looks cool but I know barely anything about the character so I'm struggling to care a bit.

The only bit you need to know. The character isn't just a gender swap of her cousin. They flipped the script completely. So just don't go into it expecting "She-Hulk Smash!"

She-Hulk is what would happen if Deadpool was hot and had Daredevil's day job.

It's interesting how unknown she is though. Most comments below the trailer read like people thought Disney had just made her up for this show. I expect this'll make it easier to avoid spoilers until all episodes are out at least. Any info on the episode numbers by the way? Most/all of these Marvel shows seem to wrap up after 6.

20 minutes ago, Maryokutai said:

She-Hulk is what would happen if Deadpool was hot and had Daredevil's day job.

The original 4th wall breaking character.

I haven't heard anything to the contrary, so I assume the same six episode deal.

• 2 weeks later...

Loved the first episode of Ms. Marvel last night. Possibly the strongest opening episode of any Marvel TV series thus far, young Peter Parker vibes at times with Kamala being this nerdy kid who's into cosplay and idolises Captain Marvel and stuff but with obviously a more female twist combined with Kamala's Pakistani heritage. 

It was so nice to see folks of Pakistani heritage get some representation on screen, some of the moments with Kamala and her family were some of the strongest of the show so far.

Ms. Marvel - Episode 1

It was alright. Although a little slow. I still think Moon Knight had the strongest opening episode. The 'Slice of life' stuff doesn't really do anything for me. Really liked the stylised aesthetic though. Reminded me of the first Hulk film. For me though, it was a 7/10.

@Maf She definitely isn't one of them. That's why they gave her the Nega-Bands instead.

• 4 weeks later...

Doctor Strange 2 spoilers

Spoiler

They play the fucking X-Men music when Prof X rolls in with the hover chair and when he uses his psychic powers is has the blueish waves coming from his head like all of it is ripped right from the cartoon.

These muthafuckas 

Yeah, I've just finished watching it. 

I'm so tired. Here are my random thoughts shotgun style 

Spoiler

I don't know if I like it. It's too dark for me.

America Chavez was awesome. I love it when she does the pose.

I loved the prof X stuff with all the cartoon references. But I hate that scene where Wanda kills everybody.

I hated what they did with Wanda full stop. I hate seeing good characters go bad. I don't like it. 

The film is quintessential Marvel.

Just like the first Doctor Strange, I love they beat the bad guy without violence. 

Where the fuck does Kang fit in.

How much talk about Incursions. Secret Wars here we go. 

I feel like the story telling could have been clearer. It might be because I'm so tired but I struggled to understand or missed the finer points of the story. I understood the main thrust of what was happening the whole way through. But there are explanations for so much multiverse stuff I either missed or stopped paying attention. 

Might be the best looking film Marvel has ever made

All that stuff that Strange did a spell that fucked up the multiverse and we all assumed it's related to what he did in Spider-Man NWH. Did they take that plot point out the movie? That doesn't happen at all. Which is fine just weird 

Yeah, I dunno. I don't think the film is bad, on a rewatch when I'm less tired I might get more out of it. But there's a lot here which is the opposite of what I want to see with comic book movies. I want my MCU to be more pop than dark

Kang is in Ant Man 3, Maf. Not a part of this one. Nothing from the Loki series is relevant to this film. The only show that is, being Wandavision.

It definitely sounds like you need to watch it again with a clearer head. For me personally, considering this was touted as the first MCU horror, I don't think it went dark enough. This kind of story was never going to be sunshine and rainbows. Because Avengers: Dissembled certainly wasn't. 

The shows and movies don't intersect unless explicitly stated. That's the rule.

Remember, as far as the films are concerned, Loki was killed by Thanos.

But the TV shows and the movies do explicitly intersect. Wanda was in Dr Strange 2.

The problem is when doing multiverse or time travel stories you’re allowed plot holes for small stuff but the main points and general rules need to be clear. Unless Marvel are about to pull out some sick fucking ace they’ve been holding behind their back it kind of feels like all their rules folded immediately 

I've seen an interview at some point. They want to avoid the situation where you have to watch a TV show to enjoy a given film. Basically, Wandavision is directly referenced in Dr Strange 2. So it intersects. But it isn't required viewing. As the film communicates the general gist of Wanda's motivations. Watching the show beforehand enhances that.

They know the majority of viewers watch the movies. So they prioritise them. For example, the next Captain America film will feature Falcon in the titular role. You don't need to watch F&WS to get that information. Since Cap gave Sam the shield in the conclusion of Endgame.

They have to keep this relatively simple for the normies...

• 2 weeks later...

After the great start to Ms. Marvel I've found myself a little bored with the rest of the series really. I still really like all the characters but it just isn't gripping me like other MCU TV shows have unfortunately. Got the finale to watch tonight though so hopefully the series will at least end on a high.

Saw Thor: Love and Thunder on Saturday and whilst I enjoyed it, it was nowhere near as good as Ragnarok and towards the bottom of the Phase 4 film releases thus far.

My Phase 4 rankings so far:

1. Spidey: NWH
2. Shang-Chi
3. Doctor Strange 2
4. Eternals
5. Thor Love & Thunder
6. Black Widow

I was watching a YouTube video on the Thor movies recently and it dawned on me why I felt the disconnect that I've noted since Ragnarok. Also makes the preferences people vocalise online even funnier.

I've read lots of variations of:

"I didn't like Thor in the first film and Dark World."

"He's so serious and uptight."

"I prefer him in Ragnarok (and L&T,  presume?)"

Funny thing is, what that actually means is you don't like Thor. At all. You actually like Hercules. The "Dudebro" personality, is Marvel's Hercules. Thor is uptight and serious.

Upon reflection, that realisation was when I could articulate the problem I had with the tonal shift. Because it was a completely different character, in Thor cosplay. 

Even with the MCU, my interest in the Avengers is not really much greater now than as a kid in the 90's. But Hercules, I knew of. The Live Action (Kevin Sorbo) series was a favourite at the time. So I looked up other Hercules'.

Spoiler

Makes Thor look like a bitch, too. Ignore the logistics of this though...