passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Final Fantasy XII - The Zodiac Age

Sambob

22 hours ago, Jimbo Xiii said:

I really love this game. It is already the second best Final Fantasy that I've played, and I can see it being the best. The combination of gambits and licence boards is really ticking my boxes. The story is getting going now as well. Vaan isn't to intrusive (half the characters seem to forget he's even there, and I've left him pretty much subbed out of my party, he's never the lead) and I like all the other characters. Mainly I like just walking about letting my team kick the shit out of stuff, until something kicks the shit out of me...

There is a particular cutscene that comes to mind in the late game, if memory serves, which various characters exchange dialogue. Meanwhile Vaan and Penelo are just silent wallflowers ?

As I said before, you can really tell the further you get into it, they were added to tick a box and nothing more.

20 hours ago, bellow said:

The most troubling thing is @Maf disappearing from the forum playthru of FF12 after calling it on.

I do wish I had had to the time to join in. Alas I don't have enough to commit to an FF right now.

I'm on the switch version of this, which means I can experiment with the job wheel a bit - although I'm not planning a superboss run on this so I probably won't need to be optimal in my choices.

So here's my initial setup with reasons why. Want to keep casters at range so have Fran, Ashe and penelo red, black and white mages respectively and have them all with ranged weapons, bows, crossbows and guns to deal out the pain when they're not busy witching.

Have had Basch as a sword wielding knight, but have given him foebreaker because I want him to be dealing out major damage with axes or hammers from now on. Balthier is my blade wielding Shakira, also with foebreaker, but just to keep him safe with heavy armour. Lastly, I have bushi on Vaan, and he does pretty good damage with his katanas, so I'm undecided whether to give him a mage option, or just go with knight to give him more battle options/power.

Decisions decisions.

Have you noticed how to get the licences that are disconnected from the main board? Some of those skills can really help decide party composition.

One thing I was surprised by is how oddly useful red Mage is in this. They only have lower tier black and white magic but they make a very versatile DPS/healing assist class.

I spent a few hours on Saturday night grinding out my characters in part of the Lhusu mines, got everyone up to 20/21, but more significantly, filled in quite a chunk of everyone's licence boards which has opened things up a bit. Also ended up with about 70k in gill which has taken the hassle out of shopping. I've accidentally ended up with 2 white mages (I'd forgotten I'd given Penelo that class before giving it to Fran as well) which initially I was a bit annoyed about, however it made grinding out stats pretty easy as I could completely switch out two sets of teams, with one mage recovering MP whilst the other crew are fighting. This meant I was able to do about 6 runs in a row without leaving the mines, only leaving when I had 99 bone fragments to sell. That combined with 4x speed setting made for a pretty chilled out session that I could do whilst listening to music. 

I've moved the story onwards a bit now, on my way to find some stone in a cave to prove a point, or something. 

I think I grinded a bit on that railway bridge. An obvious exp grabbing spot, that.

I think I'm quite a bit further on in the story than u, but I'm taking a short break to take some high level hunts on while I have a guest in my crew.

Plus I just took on a boss that tested me good, 

Spoiler

The elder wyrm. That fight lasted at least twenty minutes and I lost a couple of good men, and Vaan.

Decided to Google this guy to see if anyone else had found the barney to be a bit of a difficulty spike. Turns out it's an optional boss, and you're meant to hire a chocobo and run past him.?

Moved the story along a couple of hours yesterday, got my first esper and unlocked second licence board as well. Am I right in thinking you can move members to different roles as well, if you do, does it reset the old board? I also need to work out how the limit breaks (I can't remember what they're actually called) work in this, it seemed almost like a QTE but it caught me by surprise so I seemed to miss everything that it wanted me to do.

As it was getting late and I kept forgetting I don't understand Japanese, I went back to the bridge, cranked it up to X4 and grinded out about 600 LP which has left pretty much everyone setting on 1000 to distribute. Kept moving the golden amulet and the item that doubles EXP between party members for a boast as well.

Oddly, grinding in FF games often becomes my favourite part, it has a similar monotony to a racing game that you need to be semi aware of your surroundings, but you can also tune out a bit as well.

Thinking ahead to when I've finished this, what other genre or types of game have a similar set up to the gambit and licence board. Something where you can program your characters then let them lose with a bit of micromanaging? I was thinking something RTS like Age of Empires or Civ perhaps although I usually bounce off those quite quick. Suggestions welcome.

49 minutes ago, Jimbo Xiii said:

Am I right in thinking you can move members to different roles as well, if you do, does it reset the old board?

I don't quite understand what you're asking here. If you choose a second licence board for a character you're still going to keep the first one and its progress as both are running in parallel.

If you're playing on Xbox or Switch you can reset entire boards at any time and get all your point refunded to rebuild from scratch.

31 minutes ago, Maryokutai said:

Forgot to mention that you can't do it anywhere but you'll have to visit the Moogle in the Hunter's guild building in Rabanastre (one of the icons on the northern end of the city map).

Yeah I had a little look on YouTube how to do it. Good that you get all the point back to spend again.

The hunters guild where, also, you'll get some hardcore contracts.

These hunts are possibly the most intense part of the game, and perhaps a more organic way to level than simply grinding. Last night I took a couple of level 5 super slimes down in the waterways, and just getting to them was a pulse quickening horror show. I would have had no chance against them without my fire esper.

And now I'm chasing down a mutant ant in the llusu mines. But this time I might have bitten off more than I can chew. Even the normal enemies are coughing up over 1000 exp, and I'm getting jumped by all kinds of nastiness. Might turn around tonight and do some story, then return a level or 2 better off.

On 21/01/2020 at 07:12, Jimbo Xiii said:

Thinking ahead to when I've finished this, what other genre or types of game have a similar set up to the gambit and licence board. Something where you can program your characters then let them lose with a bit of micromanaging? I was thinking something RTS like Age of Empires or Civ perhaps although I usually bounce off those quite quick. Suggestions welcome.

Didn't notice you in the Dragon quest 11 thread, but you can definitely set your team to auto play thru that, and up the speed too, until it feels almost like an action RPG.

I'd only ever played a bit of DQ8 before, which was rather slow going. But DQ11 is now one of many favourite games of all time, with great characters, well acted in English, and an easy to follow story. Plus, the greatest 'airship' ever seen in gaming.

Alternatively, I'll be playing the switch remake of Xenoblade Chronicles later in the year, which can also be rather hands off.

My tendency to want to visit every corner of the map led me into big trouble last night as I ventured thru the the salikawood. Stumbled across an outrageous boss who wiped my team in 2 moves. But rather than scarper I opened up the books, found a couple of relevant protective items in my accessories bag, spent a few licence points to activate them and loaded up my reserve team which, luckily, included my white mage (who holds my 2 espers because she can heal them as they fight).

What transpired was half an hour of gaming anarchy and one of the most satisfying victories I've had for a while.

In beating him I also opened up a couple of areas in which the normal mobs made the defeated boss look like a small defenceless kitten. I'm assuming those areas are for the after-game. Feckin hope so, anyway!

The thing with espers also is they link to skills outside the grid. Later on some of those skills can be really useful.

In my game I think I had Vann set up as a Monk and a Knight, or something along those lines. Very melee focused tanky sort of role. But he also got to learn renew due to an esper link-up so suddenly he was like a support tank (renew is a full heal)