passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Destiny: The Taken King

Sambob

So this is about a month out now, there is going to be a Twitch stream of the new playable area soon which should give a really nice idea of how much is going to be in this game. Will add it to this post once its announced.

I think im going to get this, managed to get some psn credit for cheap which brings the price down. From what ive seen so far theres enough there to warrant me continuing to play it but this brings up an interesting point.

I was in a gaming shop a few weeks back basically slagging off the approach they had taken in calling it a sequel and saying how I didnt think it would do very well. The guy behind the counter said something that obvious but I never thought about, this is the game that should have come out last year and when you look at the price for everything included which is the base game, The Dark Below and The House of Wolves AND The Taken King all for 45 quid, then its incredible value to people that either havnt played it, or stopped playing early on.

So this in turn raises the question, who will be picking this up in a month, and are any of you first time players to the franchise, and to the people that have played it, do you think that its good value for everything its packaged with?

There will be more information over the next week with gamescom coming up.

I dunno, had a bit of a break from this, started a new character and I'm really happy to get back into it. The new game modes and class types look pretty cool and I'm interested to see what the dreadnought is like, the idea of having a planet that you can actually explore and be rewarded for will be good.

We will see.

Sounds like the levelling system has also had an overhaul. From now on the gear system is gone and the experience is back in all the way to the newly confirmed 40 cap. Apparently the game will keep track of which loot you've been awarded and will give you less of the stuff you've already got, and even give you things that you will benefit most from.

Edit: also images doing the rounds of melee weapons taking the heavy slot.

Edit the 2nd: looks like the weapons you've got now won't be getting any stronger. The idea being your current lot will get you through the early parts of the expansion but then stronger ones will take their place.

I'm pretty happy with all those changes to be honest.

I think they should have got Brian Blessed to voice Ghost, just because it'd have been hilarious.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they sell the game as 10 years down the line you'd have all the armour and weapons from year one and they'd be seen as badges of honour and relics that you fought for during your time playing? What is the point in them if they're going to leave them behind like they are saying they are going to do now? All that shit you spent hoping RNG would gift you and all the times you worked to get etheric light to bring it up to cap, yeah, all that stuff is fucking useless now. What are you meant to do with that once it gets replaced with updated gear? There's not masses of storage so the only real option is to junk it, it's not like you can use it and have it be viable going off what they are saying.

Become Legend. Throw away everything you've worked for and buy the next DLC that'll allow you to do it all over again. That's what I'm taking away from that tidbit of news.

From reading between the lines, it looks like the reports are being economical with the truth. It sounds like the legendaries are going to stagnate but the exotics might come along for the ride.

I would probably prefer they all got left behind regardless of what they may or may not have previously written. I think the important thing is that they make the changes which are best for the game and not stick to some bravado they spouted as part of the marketing. Some of the exotics like thorn and gjallorhorn are OP, they can either tweak them as they are doing with the weapons update or leave them behind, as I said in the last post of be pretty happy with them being left behind it that was best.

Packaged with every copy of the taken king is one boost item. The boost item will insta-level one existing or new character to the minimum level required to play the Taken King content. Theres my yet-unstarted Warlock up to the level cap then to complete my bulbasaur-squirtle-charmander lineup.

It's a shame,

Destiny is a great game, but it's turning into a bit of a PR disaster.

They've lost a lot of trust, certainly mine, and I think that the damage there has been done.

The taken king could well be the best game on the planet ever, but once you've flipped off your fanbase, it's kinda hard to pick that back up.

I'm thinking about trading in my current physical copy and going for The Taken King physical edition through ShopTo for £40.71. I've traded stuff with them a few times and they usually do okay prices. I should get at least a tenner. It'll make the price easier to deal with.

I hope its all on the disc as I could do with freeing up some HDD space.