passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

DRIVECLUB

spatular

i've seen a few people complain about the difficulty of the ps+ version so it seems like there isn't the gentle introductory tours to gradually ease you into it like there was in the full game - on the other hand if there are limited races it also makes sense to make these a bit harder to try and provide some longevity i guess.

anyway, yeah lots of people moan about the AI too, and i can see that, it can be annoying sometimes, saying that i didn't have massive problems with it either.

the handling though, i think is great, really great, very pgr like, so not a full on sim, and generally pretty easy to recover from slides and stuff - there are a few cars that are hard to control mind.

does the ps+ version throw you in at the deep end with the cars too? you get to drive slow - easy handling cars for quite a bit at the start of the full game to get you used to the handling and whatnot.

i do agree it's often too dark and hard to see stuff, didn't realise chase cam, which i use, could have been making that worse.

Ha, does the free version have weather effects?... Try driving when it's absolutely pissing it down in the dark, that's fucking difficult. ;)

Yep, there's a race in Audi's in Scotland. It's pitch black and raining up until the last lap, where it gets a bit lighter. Incidentally I manage to beat your average speed sector score on that race. You still had a good 5 second lead per lap though, I couldn't break through the pack to get a clear run so spent the whole race being pushed about like I wasn't even there.

Driving games I've spent a lot of time with. Gran Turismo. Forza. PGR. Burnout Paradise. Plus a load load of time spent in other driving games. The model here just feels nasty. It doesn't feel right. Forza feels great as far as sim racing goes when you turn off the aids. Even when you screw up by locking breaks or fumbling a gear change it feels right. In DC it doesn't feel like that. I'm still hitting the lines if the cornering challenges are anything to go by, but it still feels like I'm pushing a fridge on castors. It feels more like work than play.

Comparing to PGR is a little off. PGR is really good at providing feedback and you can make cars dance through corners. The game sort of actively encourages you to slide as well, DC feels more like a harder version of the drifting challenges from GRID. I didn't like the drifting in that game either. The drifting in PGR was so good you could snake your way around the tracks with little practice. I don't think you could do that without serious investment in DC.

There's one car that drives sort of nice. I don't remember what it is though. Not the Mini, Merc, Audi or BMW. I'm not even sure you can pick the car outside of that particular race in the PS+ version. The selection of cars you can actually drive is really slim, even then it's locked down for you hitting driver levels. Everything else is behind paywalls.

Comparing to PGR is a little off. PGR is really good at providing feedback and you can make cars dance through corners. The game sort of actively encourages you to slide as well, DC feels more like a harder version of the drifting challenges from GRID. I didn't like the drifting in that game either. The drifting in PGR was so good you could snake your way around the tracks with little practice. I don't think you could do that without serious investment in DC.

fair point about the drifting, that is a bit different to pgr, i'm not too keen on the drifting in this either, i tend to try and avoid drifting and sort of avoid that part of the game (unless it's for a tour event)

• 2 weeks later...

I tried it a little. I thought it was okay, I didn't like how the AI just convoys it's way around the track as it made the overtaking pretty dull and annoying, but Time Trials were good and I imagine racing real folk would potentially be fun.

I'm not on the market for a racing game, I think, so I won't be joining in on this for the foreseeable.

• 2 weeks later...

I played some more while I was waiting my my partner in crime to turn up and do some robberies.

I still think it's kind of trash. I went back and did some of the earlier tests to get more stars to open the final challenge or whatever it is. I'm still a few stars off but I'll continue to do it until I've got enough to go into the final part. Once I beat that nobody can really say "You don't know what you're talking about because you didn't play it enough"

Because I was up in the air expecting H to come online I spent a load of time doing the same track over and over again and shockingly started to enjoy myself a bit as i jumped about between the classes. Once you get up into Sports and Hyper classes though the games driving models wheels really start to fray. The Sport class especially has a big gulf between the cars that can compete and ones that cannot. I spent ages trying to get a win in the Audi the PS+ version gives you and just couldn't cope with the speed of some of the other cars in class. Then I unlocked a Marussia and managed to do it no issues, although the car did spend more time going sideways and acting unrealistically, more so than any of the other cars. I got a Lotus which is quite nice to drive, although it feels quite pedestrian which isn't really something which should be happening in a car like that.

I don't know what it is, but I feel like I want to play it a bit more dispite not really liking the bloody thing. There's something quite soothing about going round and round, it's mindless and you don't need to think about it. I could be going round and round in Forza 5 though, that's a classier ride with all mod cons, bells and whistles.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

This has finally trickled down my internet pipes. Only had chance to play a few different courses but I like it so far. For the cars I've played in, the handling has been great. It looks pretty good but I've not got a lot of points of comparison as yet. The menus seem a little confusing but that's probably lack of time spent exploring. Decided to plump for the season pass as well as it was down to £9.99 and seemed to add a load of extra content.

Will post more later once I've had more chance to play.

I fucking love it. Best racing game I've played since Forza3 (Admittedly I've only played GT5 and Dirt 2 since Forza 3). Spent some time working through the solo career this evening. Joined a club to get access to some other cars. Asked Ed for permission to join the MFGamers club. Accidently joined Spatulars Destiny party as if thought he'd invited me. Linked my Spotify account so I can listen to different music in game and did this without disturbing my wife or baby as you can push all the sound through headphones via the controller. Great!

Played some more of this last night. Decided to dip into one of the other sets of races to try and bolster my garage. It feels great to play. I'm playing with manual gears and face on the road camera angle. The sense of speed is very impassive and the weather effects make some of the races really challenging. Completed a race last night that I think was Scotland in the driving rain and it really added to the tension. My only real gripe with the game are the computer drivers. They tend to drive around in a snake and don't seem bothered by any of the effects on the track.