passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Sly's St(r)eam Tombola Thread: Children of Morta

Sly Reflex

I absolutely loved AP. It has major faults, don't get me wrong. The combat is literally hit and miss. The stealth was poor. And some boss fights really took the piss difficulty wise.

But when a game has a "karma choice" option like this, it made all the struggles worthwhile. You could be a secret agent, only choose to be a homicidal maniac. I went with every "evil" choice to be made, and some genuinely made me laugh.

So this is a bit special. Not the good special either. It's the "Should be on benefits" special. I should have know as soon as I saw it flash Obsidian up at the start of the loading screens.

It also has the rather annoying habit of coming out to desktop. I've had a look at troubleshooting forums and I can't see anyone with the same problem.

Shank is actually a hell of a lot better than I was expecting. The animations are so smooth and it's effortless to run between enemies cutting them to bits. It's very grindhouse, the violence is very OTT and visceral. You kill a rubber clad gimp by by choking him out, shivving him in the neck and then ripping his nipple piercings out.

The gameplays a bit repetitive, although I think I'm on the last stages now. It doesn't look like a massive game.

I would have never bothered playing this if it wasn't for my little tub of shame. I'm glad it got pulled out.

There's not much more to see outside the first level outside of some newer tougher enemies, bosses and combos/executions from new equipment you get. It's kind of satisfying how you can chain the different attacks into one another.

Plus it has dog violence in it. I love to kick shit out of dogs. Especially the type that allows you to slash at them with a chainsaw before kicking them off a train so they get mangled under the wheels.

shanked_zps449f1825.png

I really enjoyed that. Short, sweet, precise and to the point. It's worth your time if you've got an afternoon to kill. Only took me 3 hours according to the ingame clock as well.

Next up is Far Cry 3. I've seen someone playing this recently.

This is great. I was sneaking around a camp taking the guys out one by one and I could hear some unusual noise behind me. I turned around and got jumped by a leopard. I was trying to flank a base where you had to disable an alarm and then blow up a weapons stash where I was doing a similar tactic, although I saw the tiger this time and avoided the same mistake twice.

I can tell I'm going to enjoy this, I think I'm going to take a RHIB out and try to snipe a shark next session as I need some carves of those buggers to make several items.

I hear it's quite good.

Also, that crocodiles are dicks.

I only ever saw one croc. I did see a lot of dogs, which I enjoyed killing and skinning. Didn't even need the skins, I just fucking hate dogs.

The ending I got...

Will.I.Am. was pissed off with my decisions and went to knife me, but token black t and a took the blade. Whatevs...

Well worth playing, not really for the story but the gameplay itself. I'd rate it up there with the best of what last gen has to offer.

Next game up is Papers Please.

I need to go back to Papers, Please. Started a new game on Easy mode because Normal is ridiculous, which is maybe the point but it's dark enough - you need a bit of help managing your finances.

I would recommend at least starting on Normal though and then dropping down if you're a pussy like me.

Also, regarding FC3, I got tag teamed once by two leopards. I didn't walk away from that one.

I found that those emu like creatures were the nastiest cunts going. I got pushed off a cliff by a boar as well, I didn't even know they were aggressive up until that point.

Is there an end to Papers, Please? I sort of assumed it was roguelike in that it was different every time you played, but I'm not getting that vibe from you, it's coming across as more of a management game.

I was quite into it for a short period of time, if you check the thread I may or may not have recorded my progress. But I can boot it up and see what day I was on.

You can save your progress after each day and resume from any day so it's not like a roguelike in the "all or nothing" sense.

Basically what happens is the game gradually introduces new things for you to check for, the more you play the faster and better you get at it. I recommend playing it for five or six hours just to experience some of the more interesting things the game throws at you.

So, this is pretty poor. Also it has bugger all to do with Sacred. It's more like Castle Crashers than anything, except it looks shit. For some reason it has techno and wub wub in it, despite it being about fantasy. I don't think the people making it could decide what they wanted it to be.

It does have co-op though, so that might make it fun. Anyone?

• Sly Reflex changed the title to Sly's St(r)eam Tombola Thread: Children of Morta