passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The iPhone killer? A thread for Android phones

Hendo

OK. Galaxy Note 3 or Nexus 5?

The Note 3 is a beast, but I'm thinking it might be almost too big. Anyone here have a Note? I like the idea of the Nexus 5 being pure Android with no bloatware or custom interfaces. I like the subtle look of it as well, but reading up the Note 3 destroys it where battery life is concerned. The Note 3 has 3GB RAM as opposed to the 5's 2GB, but reviews say they're basically the same speed and the extra GB is being used to run Samsung's Touchwiz interface.

I can get them both for the same price. I just need to decide which one now. I said earlier I fancy a change from Samsung, so my mind is half made up, but leaving my options open for now.

I toyed with the idea of getting a Note, the problem is how do you carry it around? If you're a woman, and I've checked Ed you aren't, then you've probably got a handbag, in winter you have a coat, but in summer you'll just have to carry it.

It's not insanely huge, but I think it is too big to fit in your jeans/shorts/jeanshorts

you can compare the size here

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Samsung-Galaxy-Note-3_id7984/size#/phones/Samsung-Galaxy-Note-3_id7984/size

just gone from an s3 to a note 3 this weekend, got it ensconced in an otterbox defender case so bigger again. it's massive, like people see it and be all, wtf! that's massive.

but it's sweet as. the lack of expandable memory put me off the nexus. and the pen thingy for the note is a great thing. it generally recognises even my writing.

and tbh, this pure Android site is just that. note currently has a bucket of shitty undeleteable apps but with disabling and hiding (courtesy of nova launcher) it's all but gone. I am strongly considering rooting it (mostly because I want my fonts back - most are not compatible post 4.3).

back to size, without a cover it's fine in pockets, with a cover, your pleased to see everyone.

just gone from an s3 to a note 3 this weekend, got it ensconced in an otterbox defender case so bigger again. it's massive, like people see it and be all, wtf! that's massive.

That's the thing. I don't want it to stand out to much, and that's pretty much inevitable with a phone like the Note 3. I really like the Nexus 5's minimalist styling. I'm not bothered about not being able to upgrade the memory, but the battery life if a slight concern. I'm comparing it to the Note though, which because of its size has a far larger battery so of course it's going to last longer. Still deciding, but tempted to try something other than Samsung. I've been watching reviews of both phones on YouTube for the past hour or so. :facepalm:

This is sexy though, isn't it?

http://youtu.be/pni1rlrgnZw

here's another, happy new year!

I've some online gaming time in may if your interested!

seriously though, loving this note 3. I've empty space on my (personally fixed) 2 screen set up, and that's with the liberation of certain apps from folders and adding an extra note widget and with an enlarged clock and enlarged diary/schedule thing.

it's a chunky fabulous beast. to compare, the Mrs iphone5s is a very impressive bit of kit. so ridiculously easy to swap from iPhone to iPhone and finger print scanner!

HTC wasn't in my shortlist at the end. I'm not really sure why not, maybe because it was an extra few quid a month on the contract. The only thing that put me off the Nexus 5 were the reports of terrible battery life.

I'll be selling my black Samsung Galaxy SII for £80 to one of the trade-in sites once my new one turns up, unless anyone here wants it? Very slight scratch on the screen, but not deep and doesn't affect anything. Locked to t-mobile but should be able to unlock. Everything else included in the box is unused.

you wont regret it ed! after a few days of full (read: work) use, im loving this more. its actually the giant s2 i always wanted.

battery is sweet, after a full work day (which means a fuck ton of calls & use as a torch and camera) & with podcast/audiobooks for driving (approx 90 mins on average) its only at 75%! (i have to admit, i dont do much mobile data stuff though).

still want my custom fonts back but apparently thats an issue with android 4.3 as opposed to anything else.

also noticed a couple of my most used apps have slight issues with the latest versions of adroid (mort audiobook player for example).