passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Last of Us

DANGERMAN

I'm still remembering everything as it unfolds. Game was definitely a classic, and memorable in all its 'episodes'.

I'm not sure you'll get that from the sequel. I'm not criticising. It just wasn't built around set pieces in the same way.

On 10/07/2020 at 13:29, Rikzilla said:

I think Winter is my favorite part of the game. Feels like Tomb Raoder.

Except for that silly 'boss' fight in the big restaurant where Ellie suddenly 'forgets' how to do a stealth attack from a hidden position - something you, as the player, have been doing for the last 15 hours!

Feckin' hate it when games do that.

Anyway it's spring. We've stroked the Giraffe (not a metaphor) and the end game is upon us.....

And that's that. 45 hours in the Last of Us universe, and enjoyed every minute of it. Played back to back they're quite different experiences, with the first one being more level based, loosely traditional in a way, with boss/horde fights often rounding off an area.

It's funny indulging in all the hysteria surrounding the sequel on YouTube now that I've finished. Seems to be a lot of pretend outrage about the way the creators of this epic have chosen to use their characters. Fuck all that. 

Having a close reminder off what happened at the end of the first game, it's difficult to be too defensive about certain come-uppances that transpired in the follow up. 

Anyway, I'll look forward to doing it all again in a couple of years, or in a quiet gaming period. Certainly is a world and a creation to cherish. Brilliant.

• 2 years later...

Inspired by the TV show I've gone back to play TLoU (PS4) that I last played (according to save files) when I finished it in 2015.

It still looks great, the story comes together, but I'm struggling to enjoy the gameplay.

What's most annoying are those sections where it's not clear whether you're expected to; kill everything to progress; stealth / run on by; or actually have the choice of either approaches - and essentially you only find out by frustrating trial & error. I guess it's just a symptom of the original games age.

e.g. there's a bit where you're travelling with Tess & Ellie where, despite it looking you can stealth by, you have to kill everything to allow Tess to enter a room once you've pulled back a trolley. Then later in Bills Town, once you've been cut down from the rope, and despite a heavy shooting section and now Bill's armed presence, you've got to run away.

So in a game where you can, in some areas, adapt you're style, there's other parts where you're locked to one approach, and only learn which after dying several times by trying the other.

TBH it's beginning to tarnish my memories of the game, so might leave it be.

My missus encouraged me to complete Bill's Town just so she could see how different it all? as from the TV show.

It was okay once I'd got back into the vibe of it, but there's still some dumb stuff in there (Bill saying "Let's take it quietly" then opening fire as soon as anything moves, or Bill just walking along next to the bloater in the gym whilst I'm frantically blasting away at it. Followed shortly after by Ellie & Bill getting a leg up onto the gym ledge, leaving you to fend off the enemies single handed (maybe Bill was polishing his gun...?)