passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Dead or Alive 5

HandsomeDead

So this is free on the PS+ at the moment so I'm giving some impressions for you all.

It's Dead or Alive again to be honest. That's it.

The combat system remains pretty much unchanged. I took my old main, Ayane, into a few fights and I was instantly in a place where I knew exactly what i was doing so little has changed. If you want a crash course in Dead or Alive then all you need to know is the rock, paper, scissors type mechanics. If someone is spamming you with hits then use the counters, if someone is countering use those throws while they are in the counter animation, and if someone is throwing a lot then use strikes on them which are quicker to hit. That's the basics, and understanding the nuances of each combo and character fleshes that out more and there is a great variety in the characters fighting styles.

It's a fun fighting game, and one that's pretty easy to get into as well as having depth to master. It's not really tournament level but for regular Joes it's fun.

But the problem is that it is still Dead or Alive.

You still have the weird fetish-y baby faced female characters with massive sentient tits and an overall rubbishy art direction.

And this time you have a proper story mode for the first time and it's really, really weird. It's like a Erotic Saturday Morning Cartoon... the plot is stupid, the characters interact weirdly... I don't know what to make of it... It really has stumped me....

I mean it was always stupid but totally throwaway, but this is some finely tuned trash.

But yeah, that's Dead or Alive 5. Buy it.

Sentient tits?

I like to play as the bruce lee type one, the one who has the jeet kune do style, and then spam either his running kick or his spinning back hand punch and then let environmental damage do the rest.

Sentient tits?

Like they have their own consciousness and move at their own accord.

If you kept doing that to me, Sam, with Jann Lee I would punish that kind of newb behavior. Both easily countered.

Thinking more about it I can't think of another game that would benefit more from a reboot. I mean, most people that do still like the game do so because of the style of the game; it's a thing you kind of put up with or ignore and focus on the fight system, which is a good accessible one.

I think the game would reach a much larger audience if they got rid of the cringe worthy stuff as loads of people would get into DoA's fight system, and most people wouldn't miss the old style.

No youd be like 'ugh im getting so badly beatennnnn!' and id be like 'Dosh!!!' and you would try to counter and then I would be like 'Dosh!!!' again, and it would go on like that until I had won.

I cant think how they would benefit from rebooting it, well I can, but fighters are much of a muchness nowadays, its USP is big tits and its countery fighting style, if you take them out then its a very very risky business, many fighting games just make their living on the back of either character rosters or distinct fighting mechanisms, and even then most just dont stick.

Dream on, Sam. Dream on.

I think it's worth trying to reboot it. So, so many people just look at it and see it as something for virgins, and they're not wrong in a way, so if that stigmatism was removed I think it would go a long way. Those that like the mechanics would still buy it. Not many would be all "where are my tits?! No sale!"

This thread is four days old and Ed hasn't informed us there is a Vita version out now or soon. - http://www.destructoid.com/review-dead-or-alive-5-plus-248455.phtml

Sorry. Yeah, it's out now. I've had mine since launch but haven't had time to play it yet other than for a brief moment. Looks great, though.

And yeah, you can touch the boobs.

• 1 year later...