passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Next Generation

Hendo

Do they have a deal with Microsoft to use their logos and basic design? I would've thought without that, they'd get sued for infringing their patents?

Have you read that Sony have patented blocking second hand games? Possibly something for PS4, won't go down well.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-01-03-sony-patents-tech-to-block-use-of-second-hand-games

I think a physical disc lock out won't happen. However, trade in's will die within the next 5 years I reckon, simply because we're heading download only. I'm certain that this gen will be the last to use physical media for 1st world markets.

• 1 month later...

Inspired by a discussion on the most recent Bombcast - what features of the new Xbox and PS4 would make you draw a line in the sand and say "too far"? As in, you refuse to buy the system, whatever games get announced.

If they do lock out second hand sales for disc games, would this do it? We're pretty much used to lack of second hand for digital games any way.

How about "always online"?

Always online would be a no for me, I move house too often, but even without that not being able to play because there's something wrong with the line or their servers is idiotic. The 2nd hand thing, that would affect me less but on point of principal I wouldn't buy that console either. All they have to do is make downloading more appealing and it solves a lot of the problem for them, or reduces it at least. I think/hope there'll be more noise about the lack of reclaim on download titles if all your psn/xbla games are gone forever on the new consoles

I'm not sure it'd stop me, because I do own a 360, but if online passes are going to be a prerequisite from now on then what exactly is the gold sub for? Sadly I can't see either of those things going away, but hopefully they alter the model in some way.

I think if things were tied to kinect too, like if it recognised you weren't the account holder so you couldn't play the game (unlikely), be it age restrictions or whatever

If they do lock out second hand sales for disc games, would this do it? We're pretty much used to lack of second hand for digital games any way.

I'm also used to not paying more than a tenner on games I can't offload when I'm done.

Publishers have removed any value in games on PC with the online requirements, no used sales, and DRM, so I rarely buy games that aren't on sale or cheap to begin with. If consoles go the same way, I'll probably be the same.

I don't buy consoles on release, so I guess I have the luxury of observing how things pan out first.

Yeah, the second-hand thing wouldn't bother me personally too much, I tend not to buy too many preowned games these days unless I know where they came from. Isn't there some kind of legal reason they can't do it though? Seem to remember having that conversation somewhere.

What exactly is the deal with "always online"? Does it mean that, if your console is not connectected to the internet at any given moment, you can't use it at all? Because that would be not only a deal-breaker, but also the stupidest thing I ever heard of.

dont care about no 2nd hand games, always buy new in some way shape or form.

always online is a possible deal breaker for me as i live in the land of shit internets. if your connections drops out is it game over?

biggest issue for me (with the new xbox) is if (especially if combined with the above) is this talk of it having to have kinect on & connected for the system to work.

its not that im doing dodgy stuff in my living room or that anything im doing in my living room is of any interest to anyone on the the other end but....

it creeps me the fuck out and it would drive me demented.

biggest issue for me (with the new xbox) is if (especially if combined with the above) is this talk of it having to have kinect on & connected for the system to work.

its not that im doing dodgy stuff in my living room or that anything im doing in my living room is of any interest to anyone on the the other end but....

it creeps me the fuck out and it would drive me demented.

This was brought up with the current Kinect and Gerstmann's flatmate covered the Kinect camera, so i guess you could do that.

Yeah, the second-hand thing wouldn't bother me personally too much, I tend not to buy too many preowned games these days unless I know where they came from. Isn't there some kind of legal reason they can't do it though? Seem to remember having that conversation somewhere.

What exactly is the deal with "always online"? Does it mean that, if your console is not connectected to the internet at any given moment, you can't use it at all? Because that would be not only a deal-breaker, but also the stupidest thing I ever heard of.

the rumour for the next xbox is precisely that. If you don't have internet you can't use it, if their servers go down you cant use it, in 15 years when they've turned the server off you wont be able to use it.

Oddly though there's a thread on Gaf with a fair few people being absolutely fine with this, I wish I could take them back to that christmas Live was down for days, or even make them try to play Diablo 3 on its launch weekend (and about 3 weeks after). There was the psn outage, although that was very extreme circumstances (which could happen again), plus how many servers have EA switched off? I can't even play the pc version of Burnout Paradise with the original soundtrack because the licence has expired.

so yeah, I agree, I think it's too stupid for either Microsoft or Sony to actually do with a console that requires retail discs, but I've been amazed by how many people are perfectly fine with the idea

Of what the new consoles are going to offer. Weighing up the good and bad points. Sometimes a really bad point could be offset by several really good points.

The always online thing could have benefits. For instance, if it truly is always online, it could patch games as and when patches are released. DLC released for a game you own a season pass to? That shit gets downloaded too. Want to buy something while you're at work from the website? That'd download too, ready for when you get home. No downloading screens. No waiting. All that stuffs done while the machine idles. Of course I have no idea if any of these feature will be standard on the next gen consoles, but they'd be a good pay off for being tethered into that agreement.

Of course the bad things totally dominate these features. Always online would totally fuck my game playing time up should my connection start going awry. If they make it so that it kicks you out of single player games if your connection happens to drop then there's going to be a backlash. I don't know how long that'd happen, but I'm sure most people would get over it, same as they got over other things they (me included) raged about because they didn't like it at the time.

My gaming time now is compromises of being connected to the internet. My 360 does it. My 3DS does it. My PC does it. My phone does it. The only systems that I game on that do not connect are the Gamecube, because it isn't really an online system, and the PS3, because I seriously cannot be bothered to spend hours watching the fucking thing update. Even then, there's nothing stopping me from firing up the internet browser, iplayer and youtube. It's still connected. Whenever I fire one of my things up and it doesn't connect I always think it's a bit weird. Even if I'm playing single player stuff if I am disconnected I'll connect again. It's become the norm for me. I'll probably whine like a bitch when I can't play games because my service is down, but then again I'm mostly playing online games anyway and would be impeded anyway.

No doubt there's plenty of bad things that could go hand in hand with this always online shit. Like I said, I'd like to see what I'm letting myself in for before I click on the agreement tick and proceed.

Something that does make me raise an eyebrow is people saying "What about when they turn the servers off? I want to be able to play my stuff etc etc". I don't think either company is going anywhere any time soon. Services for both Microsoft and Sony will be going for years yet, while I can see them restructuring themselves as commercial companies, I don't see them burying online services just for the sake of it. By the time they come to shutting down servers the generation of console successors will be well under way. It's worrying they have the power to pressure us into leaping into a new purchase similar to how EA treats the people who buy it's sports games online, but hey, that's progress. I didn't like it so I stopped buying them.

As for people playing old consoles, I think that's an area that's interesting to look at. Effectively they are drawing a line in the sand that kills retro. This is a bad thing. The other thing that were going to see are the game industry start treating dead formats like the music and film industry has. A meal ticket. We (well some of us) bought records on vinyl. Then when that died we bought the same albums on tape. Then CD and lastly mp3. I almost certainly guarantee that this will happen. We've had several remakes of PS2 and Xbox games for the current gen. Microsoft and Sony have been paying attention to Nintendo and their ability to turn out the same titles on every console they ever put out and I'll bet they really push it if backward compatibility isn't available. Capitalism baby! These companies need your money!

I'd be more pissed off if they said that they were killing the used games market. They don't seem to understand that being able to trade games in makes for a buoyant market that drives game sales because they can be expensive. If they are going to do that then we need to see game prices tumble to what we'd normally expect to pay for PC games via steam. It's a pro's and cons argument that only has cons if they just decide to lock out use games but keep the same pricing. I think that is fucking bullshit. Someone mentioned earlier in the thread about LIVE Gold and online passes and why should people pay twice. While Gold gets a less and less attractive service as time passes, the vitriol should be aimed directly at the publishers who decided to incorporate this system into their games without having a valid reason other than they got greedy and wanted a slice of second hand sales. Plus what happens with small game runs? I've had to buy used versions of some games simply because they game is no longer in circulation with its shrinkwrap on. Are they going to fuck off physical media and put up games to download at a reasonable price?

There's so many variables and "If's" and "Ands" that it's a bit pointless us bigging something up or cutting it down until we've seen what being a consumer of said products actually entail. I just fucking hope that the fanboy stuff dies, or at least if it doesn't we have someone absolutely ridiculous to laugh at. I miss the days of Che Warden and his "Gay niggaz" slurs and his baseless accuse.

I think tbf Hendo was asking for wild speculation, where would you draw the line, not asking you to say definitively that you would/n't be buying the the consoles?

The servers going off would be a very real issue, it already is. Mostly it's online servers for old sports games, but I'm sure some of the last batch EA killed were only about 2 years old, and there's now dlc that is no longer able to be accessed. While Sony and Microsoft might well last for the rest of our lives I doubt they'd keep the servers for the console running indefinitely, meaning that even physical disks that you have in your possession would only be being rented

and aren't you without internet on Wednesday, that'd mean no gaming, even single player stuff. I will agree with you though, aside from drm I do wonder how they could sell it to the consumer, whether that would be the promise that patches etc would download automatically.

Breaking points for me?

A bad controller or other shoddy input device. If I'm going to play something I want the controller to be comfy. I'm holding the bastard for hours on end and it should be designed to be as ergonomic as possible.

I am without internet Wednesday. I wont have time for games, although it's no loss. I've plenty of shit to keep me occupied. I just wish I had more time at the minute. :(

Personally I think there would have to be lots of good points to outweigh lack of online playing because there would be massive problems with that.

I've got no faith in the WiiU but I am loving what Steam does so can see me sticking with PC gaming, though I'm not sure if Steam has to be online to work?

I'm gonna be paying attention to what Sony and Microsoft announce because I doubt I'll be getting both, perhaps not either of them if these rumours are true.

For me it's more what they can offer than what they can take away - I'm loving the Spotify and Netflix model of pay an up-front fee every month, get as much as I like and have zero adverts in the process. I want this in my gaming life or else I might bow out while Steam and iOS sales get my money instead.

Breaking points for me?

A bad controller or other shoddy input device. If I'm going to play something I want the controller to be comfy. I'm holding the bastard for hours on end and it should be designed to be as ergonomic as possible.

I am without internet Wednesday. I wont have time for games, although it's no loss. I've plenty of shit to keep me occupied. I just wish I had more time at the minute. :(

it'll be interesting to see if wearable computing eventually means this doesn't matter :)

Hendo, Steam has an offline mode. You might need to do something to set this. If memory serves it's something like set your account to always remember your password, that way it just fails and signs you in

The other thing to think about for the next gen is price and howmany of us will go for all 3 consoles again?? The previous gen i had the GC and xbox, this gen i still have wii. ps3 and xbox, next gen im not sure i can justify all 3, currently avoiding the wii u but will the ps4 and xbox have enough to warrant a purchase of each or will they just end up being the same as each other. I know games rule the roost and thats why we buy all 3, but i just wonder is it justified this time round in the current climate.

I am torn, ps4 or xbox, both have advantages.