passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Xbox Smart Glass

Jimboxy

Gave the newly available Smartglass app a try on the Xbox this morning. It's actually very cool. Only tried it on the iPhone but it is pretty good for navigating the menues.

Sadly that's pretty much everything I can do as anything else requires Xbox live gold.

If Microsoft want to become the go to entertainment centre in the family living room, they really need to look again at Gold service. It just isn't good value any more.

I tried it yesterday too only I thought it was useless. Same as you I don't have gold so I couldn't do the way point stuff, but menu navigation was so much slower than just using a controller.

It's clever that they've managed to get it running, and I can see some of the in game stuff being useful, but their claims comparing it to the WiiU are way off (so far)

I tried it yesterday too only I thought it was useless. Same as you I don't have gold so I couldn't do the way point stuff, but menu navigation was so much slower than just using a controller.

It's clever that they've managed to get it running, and I can see some of the in game stuff being useful, but their claims comparing it to the WiiU are way off (so far)

See, I thought it seemed quicker than a controller, but it needs some "bumpers" to quick page between things.

I'm posting this from my iPad straight onto the IE on the Xbox which is a pretty weird concept.

It makes the browser usable I guess but it looks shit on my TV.

I think we can be pretty certain that this is an experiment and the next Xbox will be using this as standard as well as built in Kinect.

I'd rather see the option to navigate the dashboard using touch icons like Jim says to be honest - the standard interface is too stripped down and the other one is a bit unwieldy.

just gave it a try with forza, pretty basic functionality of showing the map and letting you set destinations but it worked well and was useful as you could do that stuff while the game was still loading from the previous race. also being able to type messages on the xbox from the pc keyboard was very useful. navigation seemed complicated - more suited to a touch screen device.

• 3 months later...

I didn't give it much of a go when it came out, but as I've recently been using Netflix on Xbox a lot I've started to really appreciate what they've done. I think it actually might be a sign of the future to come where we control everything through our phones.

It's not without it's problems, I hate how you have to sign into LIVE before it'll even connect and the input lag is a bit shit. It's still better than having to power up a controller every time you want to do something.