passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Kickstarter Thread

Sly Reflex

Yeah but to be fair, Black Isle didn't, Troika didn't. Kickstarter gives them the chance to go back to what they were good at...

I'm not saying isometric crpgs and the Infinity Engine were the golden days of rpgs - games like Mass Effect and Fallout 3 have been some of the best rpgs of all time - but there is a different focus with that older style. Something is definitely lost along the way. No reason why we shouldn't have the best of both worlds.

Yeah but to be fair, Black Isle didn't, Troika didn't.

The community had to fix those games too.

I'll be interested to see how they can do when they're in charge of budget, release schedule etc. rather than a publisher. Their games have always been intetesting but let down by execution.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I would post this here because I'm really excited for this PC game. It's called Pro Wrestling X and the developer wants to blend the fun of the N64 No Mercy game with the deep customization of the Fire Pro franchise. So far they are a long way from getting funded, but hopefully they can do it.

Pro Wrestling X Kickstarter Link

• 2 weeks later...
Wing Commander creator Chris Roberts' upcoming space combat game Star Citizen has just ended its crowdsourcing campaign at $6,224,123, shattering the record of any crowdsourced game before it by roughly 50 per cent.

The previous record had been held by Obsidian Entertainment's RPG Project Eternity, which raised $4,127,028 including PayPal donations.

The Star Citizen campaign was so successful that it reached every one of its stretch goals. At $6 million Roberts Space Industries is making the colossal Bengal carrier ship unlocked for persistent online play, ensuring 100 star systems will be available at launch, adding a full orchestral soundtrack, and the first Squadran 42 mission disc, Behind Enemy Lines, will be available to all backers.

This was an unusual crowdsourcing campaign in that it began on Robert's Space Industries website, but it supplemented the campaign with a Kickstarter that funneled into the same coffers. The game ultimately raised $4,091,456 on the official site and $2,132,667 on Kickstarter.

Check out the latest footage of Star Citizen in the spaceport demo below.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-11-19-star-citizen-boldly-goes-where-no-crowdsourced-game-has-gone-before

Peter Molyneux and his studio 22cans have launched a Kickstarter for a game he hopes will “recreate the entire god game genre”.

Molyneux, who created Populous in 1989 while at Bullfrog, announced Project Godus tonight with a Kickstarter that asks for £450,000. The game is due out on PC and mobile devices in September 2013.

The news comes as Molyneux's cube-tapping app Curiosity hits the two million downloads mark.

“Populous was created over 22 years ago, and we believe that to date, nothing has come close to emulating its powerfully godlike experience. It's this experience we aim to re-imagine,” reads the pitch.

“Godus blends the power, growth and scope of Populous with the detailed construction and multiplayer excitement of Dungeon Keeper and the intuitive interface and technical innovation of Black & White.

“The original Populous hailed from the 8-bit era but Godus will use the most modern technology the world has to offer.”

Project Godus is the game Molyneux called "co-operation" in interviews with the press. "Everything I am will be put into this," he tweeted.

It will take seven to nine months to complete, assuming it's funded. If the Kickstarter generates more money than it asks for the game will be enhanced and will support additional platforms.

http://www.eurogamer...-god-game-genre

Video in link.

By the way Simon, i think it couldn't hurt to add a list of some notable Kickstarter titles to the first post. Here are the games i would pick:

The Banner Saga

Broken Sword: The Serpent's Curse

Double Fine Adventure

Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption

Leisure Suit Larry

Planetary Annihilation

Project Eternity

Shadowrun Returns

Star Citizen

Tex Murphy: Project Fedora

Wasteland 2

The Oliver twins have announced aKickstarter drive for Dizzy Returns over two decades after the last original Dizzy game came out.

The Blitz Game Studios chiefs Philip and Andrew Oliver, who created the series for Codemasters in the '80s, ask for £350,000.

Dizzy Returns will be a colourful platformer for PC and iOS devices out some time in the Q3 2013 release window. It will include new puzzles, new characters, new locations, a new story and modern gameplay inspired by the original series. There's even a retro mode so you can play with 8-bit graphics and classic difficulty.

“We believe Dizzy Returns is a perfect fit for mobile gaming, and touch screen technology obviously means we can experiment and implement new mechanics and new ways of playing,” reads the pitch.

“It's also pretty obvious than any new Dizzy game should have a home on PC. It's something Dizzy fans regularly ask us for, and after all, the classic Dizzy control experience with keyboard keys or joystick harkens back to the days of the Amstrad, Spectrum, Commodore 64, ST and Amiga.”

The Oliver twins said they've pitched a new Dizzy game to multiple publishers over the years but none have stumped up the cash.

So why not fund the project themselves?

“As with any project we undertake, there are financial risks involved in making a game,” the twins say. “Funding this project through Kickstarter means we get to test the water without that high-level risk.

“If there's not enough interest, whilst that would be very sad, the game won't be made, simple as that. If we are lucky enough to receive more, then we'll be able to make the game even bigger and better.”

Blitz Games has already assembled a team to create Dizzy Returns, and pointed to its past work for Disney (the high definition versions of Epic Mickey 2) and Dreamworks (Puss in Boots) as well as its iOS game Kumo Lumo as evidence of its ability to deliver the game.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-11-23-oliver-twins-announce-dizzy-returns-kickstarter-two-decades-after-the-last-original-dizzy-game

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
thats a really cool device, usb stick sized gaming. Id personally rather have the extra power of the ouya though.

It would have been nice if Ouya waited till the next-gen Tegra 4 chips from Nvidia to release. At this point smartphones that release this spring will be more powerful then both the Game Stick and Ouya. I have to say though I'm looking forward to playing a revamped Dead Trigger with a gamepad!! Hopefully the Ouya version of Dead Trigger will have extra content.

Yeah i guess theyre keeping the cost down. I heard that with it not being a phone thatll free up one of the tegra3s cores for applications, and im assuming it will have better heatsinks than a phone so we should see a noticable performance increase even if it does get blown away by the tegra4. Im hoping its serves as a portal for crazy random creativity in games, if it doesnt then i suppose ive at least got a cool little emulation box/media centre.

• 4 weeks later...

One of the best kickstarters i've seen:

Having already secured its place in the hallowed halls of Steam, horror adventure Asylum by Agustin Cordes and Senscape is trying to move on to even bigger and better things. Apparently it's not content with being the most ambitious horror point-and-click adventure ever attempted; oh no, it really wants to make sure it will be as good and expansive as humanly possible and that's why Senscape have launched the pretty impressiveAsylum Kickstarter in order to fully and properly fund the game.

The team, mind you, have been working on this for years. They have already released an interactive Asylum teaser (well, a short demo actually), have finished the Dagon engine that will be open and free for all game devs, and, from what I've seen, are doing an absolutely stellar work in creating one of the biggest, spookiest and most detailed buildings to ever appear in a game.

Asylum will be available both on Steam and as a DRM-free download and will run happily on your Windows, Mac or Linux machine. You can support its creation by pledging your hard earned virtual cash and reserving all sorts of goodies; $15 will get you the complete digital version of the game, whereas $75 a deluxe edition boxed copy.

http://indiegames.com/2013/01/kickstarter_projects_the_asylu.html