passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Bastion

retroed

5YrTw.jpg <-- Click me for Marketplace link.

So the start of Summer of Arcade begins today with Bastion, for 1200MSP. I haven't played it yet, but intend to give the trial a go and inevitably pay up shortly after.

Machinima video review (9.5):

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eqFxW8DIj8s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Giant Bomb Quick Look

It's doing very well on Metacritic, with the execption of one Jim Sterling's review on Destructoid.

I bought it.

It's gorgeous. I love its isometric style, the vibrant graphics, the way the level forms before you, the narration, the sound. It's wonderful. :wub:

I've decided Ed has shares in this game, or he directly made it.

What sort of game is it?

I tried the demo and didnt get caught up in Ed's hype ;) . The voice over is really good but I think I whored Torchlight out too much to play another isometric hack and slasher straight away. Maybe when it is deal of the week i will pick it up.

Sam, it's a beautifully created isometric action RPG, with excellent narration. Give the trial a go, it shows you a decent amount.

I know it sounds like hyperbole, but I really don't see anything topping this as best downloadable game of 2011. It's hard to believe Bastion was made by a team of seven.

I quite liked it, definately the narrator is an awesome touch to the game.

1200 im going to say no, summer of arcade games always go cheap anyway, so i'll be waiting till it drops to 800.

I'm finding it challenging, but not hard. I tend to go in with the Fang Repeater (which I've upgraded a lot) and hammer, but do mix things up a bit. Make sure you roll around a lot to evade attacks if you're getting overrun with enemies.

I found it very hard on one of the hidden dream sequences, but I did have four idols on, generally though I find the idols make it about the right difficulty, I'd recommen the proving grounds to bulk up the weapons and a good combination of tonics too. I find the werewhisky helps a lot especially with the musket, get yourself to a lower health and you are pretty unstoppable. I'm also pretty guilty of just ignoring the block ability, if you get the hang of that then you are dangerous.

I haven't struggled at all with the difficulty so far. Just got to the Singer so I take it it gets harder. Defect with shield, smack with Hammer, follow with Musket - every body dies.

Great game, reminds me of Braid mixed with Deathspank.

Perfect placement of the song I think, the way it's introduced as well, really clever use. It's not one of those altered beast style awesome themes but it does stick with you because of it's subtle use.

Anyone still playing this?

I got to a point where the difficulty increased massively, Point Lefarge or summink. In hindsight it could have been my choice of weapons, but i lost all my lives three times before i did it. Once that little bit was out the way, i spent some time on the weapons trials and upon competion of these i managed to do some of the Vigils as well, earning me some cash. I bought some shit at the Lost and Found, upgraded a few weapons and the going started to get a little easier.

What this game does right is it gives you new weapons that are actually better than previous ones. I hate it when your constantly finding stuff in games like these that are of little consequence, therefore you just stick with what you are already using (Deathspank), but

the Pike is awesome, the Army Carbine is awesome, the Bellows are awesome (with the best Secret Technique IMO) and the Mortar is awesome.

I think i may be near the end. There's an achievement for completing New Game + and normally i cant be bothered with stuff like that but im in the mood for this and it could be fun going through this again as a kick ass machine.