passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

L.A. Noire

stoobie

What does creative director of FarCry 2 think?

"1hr in. Moriarty was right re games as kitsch," He said, referencing a GDC talk. "Derivative, uninspired, narcissistic. Nothing original to say, & said badly. #LANoire"

The cat has some claws.

To be fair, I was sold on the setting and style. If the game is good then it's a bonus.

I'm so early in because I only got a chance to play the opening tutorial level. I don't know if I did it right because there didn't seem to be a grading system shown to me. I presume that's still to come. Also, Walter from Fringe is in it as the real estate man, that's good enough for me.

definitely agree that sometimes the way people act during questioning is strange. when they burn you with a lying poker face, its all good i dont mind that. they won. but when they look like a cartoonish villain with shifty eyes after telling be some basic truths and i get negatives bcuz their syndrome or brain damage or whatever sends me off the wrong direction, it shits on the moment. seems like a really basic mistake too, wish id been a playtester!

great game by and large though. acting, story, writing, and face animation (natch) is top drawer, cant believe no ones mentioned the fact that mr bishop was played by chubbs from teenwolf :D . the fidelity of the graphics in general is so so though.. probably cos its been in development for a loooong time. any one else think the open world seems kind of superfluous? like its just there to get lost in, a place for 1940s LA enthusiasts to take their mums on dates

Ad Vice > Homocide.

I disagree, vice felt so damp after homicide

Especially after you'd had multiple cases that linked together

also for anyone that's finished vice:

I know Phelps' family have been mentioned a couple of times, but they hadn't featured at all until the end of vice. As such I couldn't give a shit about his life, it didn't feel like much of a fuck up for him.

That said, and this could easily turn into a blog post, the game gives you pretty much complete control over Phelps, you drive for him, shoot for him, straddle dead women for him, yet the moment that affects his character more than any other you had absolutely no say in

Ad Vice > Homocide.

I disagree, vice felt so damp after homicide

By the end of Homocide i was getting a little sick and tired of the Doubt/Lie game.

It was nice to do some more action oriented cases that ended in a shootout. I really enjoyed the case with the boxer who was supposed to take a fall.

I finished this bad boy last night. The last few cases are a little different... i have more to say but time is pushing. I SHALL RETURN. :ph34r:

i finished homocide the other day, was getting a bit bored of it before that but wanted to see what happened in the end so kept at it

bit disapointed it didn't stick with that story line till the end of the game, while the setup was a bit annoying with it seeming a bit wrong putting people away without enough evidence, but then it gets interesting and i really wanted to find out what happened, but it was a bit of an anticlimax and now i'm back to being a bit bored with it. i just interviewed a drug dealer, who said something like "i don't know anything about drugs", so i point out the large stash of drugs he's sat next to and apparently i've done something wrong

still I enjoy the interview bits mostly, and the car/foot chases can be fun but the finding clues bits should be so much faster, it's so clunky and slow, and when you call stuff in to get an address, that should be massively streamlined too imo.

This game is epic in every sense of the word. The play area is huge and the cases are all pretty much awesome but i do find myself actually enjoying the collectable side of it all more than the main game itself (at the moment, its just nice to be able to explore the world and not worry about my car damage affecting my case rating). Even though i really enjoyed the story it did feel a little anti climatic toward the end, could have been alot more exciting and i wasnt a big fan of the direction Rockstar/Bondi chose. I did find myself a bit bored at times here and there throughout the game. You really have to pay alot of attention to the story, read and re-read clues because it gets a bit intricate in places and i guess sometimes i just couldnt be bothered to pay it the attention it deserved.

I'm still early on in this but balls deep, loving it.

My only real concern is a couple of times the controls have let me down and during a chase, Cole has swung into a doorway and shop rather than down the street.

Not the controls fault this one, I was driving along the freeway quite happily with my partner when the freeway appeared to come to an end without warning and I got a little stuck.

vxbxwm.jpg

I'd be willing to bet there was an achievement for making it over that sign and landing. Bit of a bummer though, had to restart my whole mission.

I think I'm on the one with the wannabe actress.

Yep - I am still loving it - just started the Vice missions.

The only thing that I havent liked so far was the resolution to the Homicide section.

All that interrogation and investigation and locking up people only to find out it was someone else all along. Made everything that had gone before seem a waste of time!

The only thing that I havent liked so far was the resolution to the Homicide section.

All that interrogation and investigation and locking up people only to find out it was someone else all along. Made everything that had gone before seem a waste of time!

:lol: that's an odd complaint given the point of the story.

Homicide was me favourite desk, I really enjoyed the story for it, possibly because the only thing I know about the 40's outside of was and Bioshock is the Black Dahlia/the Zodiac killer (a bit later than the 40's admittedly), so that sort of tale was what I wanted. Vice is needed for the overall plot but the drug tale didn't really do it for me. Arson wasn't too bad, again the mystery aspect worked form me, that being said it was all needed for the overall plot.

For those that have completed it:

After spending 18 hours or so as Phelps switching to Kelso was a bit of a funny choice. For one case it would have been a nice change of pace, but when you go and rescue Elsa that should be Phelps imo, he's the one you've invested in.

Bit of a pisser not to see certain people get their come uppance too, although I've already got dlc trophies showing since the update

All in all I've really enjoyed it. It's not all the hype makes it out to be, nor is is as good as the first few hours make it seem. Even towards the end of the game I wasn't nailing lies/doubt purely because you're never 100% sure which way Phelps is going to take a line of questioning when you make a choice

The point of the whole story or just the homicide part? I havent finished the whole thing yet.

It just seemed like working out everything before hand was a waste of time

Maybe I missed the point :blink:

The point of the whole story or just the homicide part? I havent finished the whole thing yet.

It just seemed like working out everything before hand was a waste of time

Maybe I missed the point :blink:

didn't mean it dickishly or anything, but in homicide

you're deliberately being led on the wrong path by the real killer, basically it's their take on the real case - that it was almost certainly a serial killer with victims being killed similarly but not exactly the same way.

But yeah, slightly annoying that the temp barman is mentioned twice, all the girls have been drinking, yet you can't go and talk to him again

Played about an hour so far and really liking everything about it so far. Can see how if it carries on the same for 20 hours I would get bored, but so far I'm impressed with it, love the setting, like the characters, it feels like a tv series I'd be happy to watch, so I'm really happy with it an hour in.

L.A. Noire - PS3 3 short of all the side missions too, but they keep vanishing off my map :fist:

Go to Cases (under Resume) then select Free Roam from one of the case files. If all Street Crimes in a case file have been done (when you actually start Free Roam) it will say in the top right hand corner "all crimes complete in this case file" or summink. If you look at your map any Street Crimes you missed show up in red, complete ones are grey. Just a case of going through each case file finding the ones you missed.

Im 92% complete on this. I though the cars were going to be a massive pain in the arse but im at 89/95. You can check what cars you have in Garage from the Extras menu.

I havent collected a single Golden Film Reel.

I tried doing that, but it still kept wiping it off my map when I got close (on Vice). I've done it now and got the 40/40 but I had to do one then quit out, do one, quit out. All done, fuck going back and 5*ing everything or getting all the cars.

I'd like to keep it for the dlc but I'm broke ass so it's off to ebay to pay for whatever I buy next

and yeah, no film reels for me either

I dont like the storyline in this - I love doing the cases, but the storyline is annoying me.

Why on earth would Phelps sleep with the singer - it is completely out of his character and seems like it was shoe-horned in just to demote him to arson.

I would have much prefered just a series of cases to solve rather than an unbelievable plot twist.

Why on earth would Phelps sleep with the singer - it is completely out of his character and seems like it was shoe-horned in just to demote him to arson.

Completely agree. Not sure if you'll like the ending either.