passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Wii U

Hendo

Here's an interesting thought.

Say I buy a WiiU, what do I do about my GameCube? I like having the Wii set up so I might play some GameCube classics (admittedly doesn't happen much, but hey) so what happens as the WiiU won't play them and I won't want the Wii set up with the WiiU also there?

Does this mean the GC comes out of commission? Does this mean that they'll sell GC games digitally and like a fool I'll buy them?

A HD version of Wind Waker I'd be all over.

I've been thinking about buying a GameCube again for ages and since my Wii's disc drive is fooked and the WiiU won't play GC games it's becoming a very real consideration.

But I reckon they will HD reissue the fuck out of the GC back catalogue and I'll just end up getting them.

WiiU will be region locked.

Nintendo will implement a region lock process for its Wii U hardware, the company has confirmed to CVG.

This means that games bought in the US, Europe or Japan will only be accessible for machines built for those regions.

Region-locking devices is a longstanding Nintendo policy that has been in place across numerous games consoles including the 3DS, Wii, GameCube, N64, SNES and NES.

Platform holders Sony and Microsoft take a different stance to region-locking. Both allow publishers to decide whether they want to lock games to continents, of which in most cases they do not.

Sony's latest platform, the PS Vita, is region free.

Shitty but totally unsurprising news.

• 1 month later...

Played this at MCM last weekend, tried NSMB2, Nintendoland and Pikmin 3

That screen thought feels like such a massive gimmick though, boring as hell too on NSMB2, tap blocks to help the other players. ¬_¬

I posted in the shout thread about playing it, I think it might work better with a full allotment of players, but yeah, definitely will be letting other people use the touch screen. Worked quite well with Rayman I thought, and some of the nintendo land stuff

in other news

All Wii U Deluxe Set owners who purchase digital content for Wii U, including downloadable games in the Nintendo eShop for Wii U and download codes sold at select retail stores, will earn points with a value equivalent to approximately 10 percent of the Nintendo eShop list price of each purchase. For example, a game priced at $59.99, such as New Super Mario Bros. U, would earn 599 points. For every 500 points they earn, participants will receive a code worth $5 in credit to be used in the Nintendo eShop for either Wii U or Nintendo 3DS. Points will be earned on all digital purchases made on a Wii U Deluxe Set from Nov. 18, 2012, until Dec. 31, 2014. When the Deluxe Digital Promotion website launches in December, participants can see the points they've earned and receive codes for Nintendo eShop credit by signing in with their Nintendo Network ID and password. Codes must be received at the website by March 31, 2015. Received codes must be exchanged for Nintendo eShop credit on Wii U or Nintendo 3DS by June 30, 2015. Nintendo eShop credit on Wii U and Nintendo 3DS does not expire.

seems a pretty good deal to me, shame it doesn't just credit your account though

• 2 weeks later...

Hooray :)

UPDATE: Nintendo has confirmed Nintendo Network ID replaces Friend Codes for the Wii U.

A statement provided to Eurogamer reads: "Friend Codes will indeed not be used on Wii U. Players can use alphanumeric characters to create their Nintendo Network ID, this is not an automatically generated number."

ORIGINAL STORY: Nintendo will allow you to create 12 user accounts per Wii U. These profiles are tied to your game saves, settings, browser bookmarks and play history, Nintendo has announced.

But eShop purchases can be played by any user on the system, company boss Satoru Iwata explained in today's Nintendo Direct conference for Japanese gamers (translated by NeoGAF).

Boot up the Wii U and your TV screen will be entirely devoted to Nintendo's new Miiverse social platform, which shows information on new games and details what your friends are playing.

In one truly bizarre moment, Iwata forced Nintendo of America boss Reggie Fils-Aime to video chat with him while he drew all over his face.

The GamePad will house a more standard menu, which includes icons to launch downloaded content and the currently loaded game disc. It looks very similar to the current 3DS interface.

You'll need a Nintendo Network ID to use online functions such as video chat (presumably the details of your eShop account if you've used a 3DS).

Once again Nintendo confirmed that you'll be able to interact with the Network via other Nintendo systems, PCs and smartphone apps. The company previously announced a plan to make the 3DS eShop accessible via these devices.

Most importantly of all, pausing gameplay to access the Wii U menu uses the same sound as pressing the Home button on the current Wii. Da-dah!

Isn't Nintendo Land in the box? Or is that just the deluxe version?

I'm still very tempted but it's probably just... oooh shiny! A friend has one pre-ordered so I'll have access to one anyway, but I don't want to be playing it and end up wanting one then not be able to get hold of one for a while.

To be fair though, it's only really ZombiU and Scribblenauts (this is coming out on the PC anyway) I'm interested in so I guess it can wait a while.