passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Computer Questions Thread

DANGERMAN

Return of the Mack! Or PC in this case 

I hate this pink foam stuff. It’s so hard to get out. 

I quickly set it up and tried AW2 and Persona and both play perfectly on first boot! Very happy. 

Hopefully it’s all fine now. And I got a week off next week so perfect time to get the PC back

IMG_0580.jpeg

IMG_0581.jpeg

Careful with that power cable taking the pink thing out.

If the 4090 power cable is loose, it can melt and cause fires. Fun fact.

actually this is interesting, your GPU seems to be redesigned. The power adapter is at a different place, cooler looks different to mine

Qd78jJH.jpg

I don't know how you can see the cooler from there. I googled it and thought it was on the underside. 

Why have you fit extra fans on yours? Worried about it overheating? 

I have to play on it a while and see how it holds up but I'm so much happier it just works first time now lol. I know it's such a little thing. But it's the least you can expect from a new thing and the fact it wasn't doing that really sucked. I've only tried it twice so far but both times success. So that's nice 

You must be looking at the CPU cooler, that's just an air cooler. It has a heatsink and the fans blow the heat out the back of the case. I don't like liquid cooling cause I'm not confident with setting it up

I was talking about the graphics card, yours has a smaller heatsink (the metal thingy with all the fins) and lower profile in general it looks like, you can see it when you compare the PCBs length

edit here we go, that explains it

https://videocardz.com/newz/asus-introduces-geforce-rtx-4090-tuf-og-series-with-rtx-3090-ti-cooler

If my first GPU was a bit broken then I suppose this makes sense, but not only is the PC working first time now but I think performance is slightly better as well. I put RE4 on for a minute last night just to see. Wow this game is stunning in 4K. I forgot. But also didn’t drop a frame at all. Just locked 120. 

Then playing tonnes of Persona the only time it dropped frames was loading in and out of the Velvet Room where it dropped to 117fps lol. 

But on my old one, even though it performed similarly, there were more fluctuations and stuff like that. Like All-Out attacks in Persona caused frame drops as well, and now I’m getting 0

Also I complained about Steam being slow to start compared to other apps. That appears fixed as well.

I think my problem was ordering a custom build just before people went off work and came back to work for Christmas break lol. Who gives there all when the holidays are just a few days away, right? Most teams start having reduced workers by then anyway

Still, don’t want to speak to soon. Should try more games with it and longer play times on things other than Persona. But seems all fixed. So that’s sick 

• 4 weeks later...

Decided after realising my current pc is 12 years old that its time for a new one. 

So started ordering up some components. 

Currently got enough for everything bar the gpu, which will have to follow on after a month or so. 

So far ordered mobo, cpu, ram & ssd

When you build it (Google this for actual advice and not my hazy memory), go in to the bios and check that it's using the full speed of the ram. Maybe things have changed but when I built mine a few years ago it defaulted to restricted ram speed 

Yeah that's super important with Ryzen, 7800x3d is the top tier one to be getting now

Should be called something like 'EXPO' in the bios, there'll be a profile to load. You might need to update bios as well though, especially with the newer X3ds

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had my eye on one of these, but they don't give enough clearance for the 4090 power cable. Which would probably mean there would be an actual fire inside the case lol. 

I have a bunch of spare parts, so maybe at some point in the future I'll put my 3070 machine together in one of them. There's a white one you can get, but I think the colour scheme complements itself better with this black one

3 hours ago, Maf said:

Wow, that looks amazing. Pic 4 has an almost cosy fireplace thing going on 

Thanks really pleased with how it turned out, also got a great deal on the 9000xt was reduced to £629 bout 200 cheaper than when started looking a month ago. 

1 hour ago, one-armed dwarf said:

I had my eye on one of these, but they don't give enough clearance for the 4090 power cable. Which would probably mean there would be an actual fire inside the case lol. 

Yeah quite small 350mm if you top mount the rad. 

Though they have now released a xl version that is slightly bigger.