passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Rayman Origins

retroed

One of the most impressive things I've seen at E3 thus far.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

How about a schedule and a format for Rayman Origins?

Well, to be honest, we would love to release a biiiiiig episode of Rayman Origins this year on HD consoles.

Why in full HD?

Simply because the game already runs in this incredible image format and this really highlights the artist’s work. This doesn’t prevent us from thinking about other consoles but we are a small team so we need to set priorities.

Why episodes?

To release one this year, and because big games take a long time to make, which in turns makes their price high.

With episodes, the price must be proportional to the size of the game, there is no way we are taking gamers for fools!

Episodes also let us imagine a longer and more developed saga than with a more “classical” format.

Oh yes, and there is a golden rule: the size of each episode and its replayability must be important enough to make the players feel … fulfilled.

http://ubi-art.uk.ubi.com/

• 3 weeks later...

More formats are likely.

Rayman Origins, the upcoming downloadable 2D platformer starring everybody's favourite limbless adventurer, is being "considered" for release on the 3DS and Wii.

That's according to an update on Ubisoft's Rayman Origins blog, which also confirms episode one of the new adventure series is due out for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 consoles at the end of the year.

"Wii, PC, iPad, 3DS to be considered," says the blog.

• 1 year later...

BUMP.

Rayman Origins demo is up on Marketplace, and PSN I guess.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/Product/Rayman-Origins-Demo/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80255538899

It's really rather good. The platforming feels responsive, and the side-scrolling shooty level is awesome too. To top it off, it looks absolutely beautiful.

Shame it's a full release and not XBLA/PSN. Another to add to the £17.99 list, then.

I believe I have found my Christmas game for this year :wub:

It's quite unforgiving in that you can be killed in one hit and then do a fair bit of the level over again but it looks and plays wonderfully. One of the best looking games this generation, it's what you remember Castle of Illusion and Aladdin looking, not how they actually did look.

I hear the co-op is offline only, which is a shame though.

I'm with you, Hendo. I played the demo and it was better than I expected. It's massively enjoyable.

I didn't spot it in the demo but I hope they don't go the same route LittleBigPlanet went and lock away some of the collectables in co-op only sections, and go the same way as NSMBW and just have co-op as a mad bit of fun. I rarely got to play co-op in NSMBW and was thankful I didn't miss anything and it still played amazingly without it.

Bit of odd news, though. Rayman's success will affect Beyond Good & Evil 2.

According to Ubisoft, the commercial performance of Rayman Origins could help get Beyond Good & Evil 2 developed quicker, with sales VP Tony Key stating more sales would give creator Michel Ancel more freedom.

"Ultimately, Rayman is [Ancel's] original creation, and if all the people that love Beyond Good & Evil understand he is more than a one trick pony ... and that if Rayman: Origins does well, it gives him more leeway for other opportunities because he has to build up his studio," explained Key when asked by Industry Gamers. "Just like how Beyond Good & Evil had a whimsical style but included gameplay for adults, Rayman: Origins will appeal to more than just younger gamers.

"Beyond Good & Evil HD is doing very well on PSN and Xbox Live and there's a lot of people coming back, and if they choose to do a sequel the audience is bigger than before."

So let me get this straight, Ubisoft. You're going to release Rayman Origins in the same month as Modern Warfare 3, Skyrim and Assassin's Creed: Revelations. You're going to release it on the same day as Saints Row: The Third, and just before Skyward Sword ... and you're telling us that its fucking sales performance may be used as a measuring stick?

Fuck you.

Oh, and while I have you -- stop using Beyond Good & Evil 2 as a hostage to try and generate sales of other games. It's pretty damn obvious and about as tasteless as a baby with a boob job.

Gotta agree with Ubi holding BG&E hostage on a few occasions but I think there is a possibility that Rayman might do okay, at least the Wii version. The Rabbids games are big successes but I guess it comes down to how much Rayman is still relevant in these games. And of course multiplayer platformers do tend to do well on that system.

I hope it does well, I'm very nearly going for it to be honest.

It may have sold well as a download against other downloadable games but that's still not a great deal. Limbo hit 1 million downloads recently and I think that's over all systems. That game is considered a massive success but I think they're thinking bigger than that with Rayman.

It's a shame platformers aren't considered worthy of retail releases anymore. It looks gorgeous, it's really fun, there seems to be alot of game with alot of secrets to uncover. You could probably lose as much time in it as Arkham City.

It could be that we have been spoilt with some really good downloadable platformers but I'd hate to see the genre disappear at retail, I really would.

that's a fair point, but it being a download would have meant less dev time and money (because there wouldn't have been space and budget). And while it is a shame I think people will look at it and see a 2D platformer and not bother (personally I've never been a Rayman fan which is what's stopping me, but the demo is installed). For it to do well it needs to be cheap unfortunately, and I think releasing it at this time of year is just another thing stacked against it

I agree with you in principle but that's just the way it is. You bought Sonic Generations yet then DC?

No, I've not bough Sonic Generations, and it wasn't because it's a platformer if you're trying to make me sound a hypocrite!!! I just haven't bought a Sonic game since either Secret Rings or Rush Adventure and I didn't like either of them, so didn't have any desire to buy it. Though I tried that first demo.. it didn't fire me up in any way.

Eurogamer review.

The shadow of negative thoughts about the game's core is, in the main, cast by the brilliance of its exterior. While the cast lacks a certain creative coherence and its star lacks the iconic gait of a Mario or Sonic, Rayman Origins is the best-looking 2D game released in a decade. As such, expectations about the quality of the underlying experience are perhaps elevated too high.

Viewed with these expectations in check, Ubisoft Montpellier has indisputably crafted a delightful, playful, occasionally exhilarating platformer. But while this is a game whose visuals point to a bright, alternative future, its systems too often rely on the dusty past. Half of a classic, then.

8 / 10

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-14-rayman-origins-review

It seems to be doing pretty well elsewhere, too.

I really want this, and Sonic Generations. It's good that they can still get retail releases, despite what I said about wishing it was an XBLA/PSN title instead. I do worry that it won't sell, though. Couple these two games with Super Mario 3D Land, and it's a good time to be a fan of platformers.