Ken

E. Honda

Ibuki

Makoto

Dudley

Seth

Gouken

Akuma

So I got back into this again the last few days and this is where I'm at. I've broken my rules and skipped Gen. I just can't do it so he's going to the back and I'll do him last. If I don't I'll never get the rest done. So Dan is next.

Dan

For the comedy character he is effective. Not a lot to say about him. he's just another shoto character that while having some shortcomings if you're mindful of them its not too bad to work around them.

Sakura

I used to main Sakura back in the 'Vanilla' days (and a little in Super) and it was fun going back to her. That EX jump and bop on the head from the other side of the screen is as satisfying as ever. Reminded me of a night back when I played Super a lot with L33R and Craigyo and successfully goading them into my diagonal Ultra fireballs. Oh we did laugh! but you had to be there.

Oni

Oni is off the hook. When I first got Ultra and went online I saw a few Onis and got destroyed and I thought he was one for the psychos. He isn't. You mash buttons and cool stuff happens. You can really look like you know what you're doing with Oni. These guys I played probably did know but I jumped in with some cursory knowledge and I was all over the shop. Gouken was hard to beat but I mostly tore it up with him. But it's a bit unsettling though as I think he kills the other characters you beat. He deffo isn't canon.

Elena

Fucking useless.

Yun

I like using Yun. I used him a little when I first got Ultra and I think he is one I might try and do something online with if I'm still on it.

Juri

I'm better with Juri than I remember so this went pretty smoothly. Except a late match with Guile. Guile is a cunt when he turns up late in the line-up. I mostly just stuck to my old strats with her. Worked out alright.

Chun-Li

Good old faithful. I did pick up some new strats, though, so that was cool. But she's still not a main for me but I'm glad I'm marginally better with her now.

Dhalsim

Abel

C. Viper

M. Bison

Sagat

Cammy

Dee Jay

Cody

Guy

Hakan

Rolento

Poison

Evil Ryu

Guile

Blanka

Zangief

Rufus

El Fuerte

Vega

Balrog

Fei Long

T. Hawk

Adon

Rose

Yang

Hugo

Gen

Dhalsim next. I'm worried we may have another Gen on our hands but time will tell. Find out in my next exciting installment.

• 2 weeks later...

A wee update since I'm over half way now.

Decapre

Ryu

Ken

E. Honda

Ibuki

Makoto

Dudley

Seth

Gouken

Akuma

Gen

Okay, I did it with Gen, thank fuck. Turns out in Ultra some inputs have been altered so that explains why I couldn't pull anything off. I trained using Super's challenge mode so no wonder nothing translated when I jumped onto Arcade mode. Turns out Gen is pretty fun to use when shit works as it should. I'll never be able to do anything real cool with him but now I have an understanding of him I should be better against him if I come across a smart arse online. Back in the day one of the staff from GTM would play us and his Gen would fucking destroy me. Won't happen now, I want a rematch (it would totally happen again).

Dan

Sakura

Oni

Elena

Yun

Juri

Chu4n-Li

Dhalsim

Another who I had a better time using than I expected. I thought more about positioning and zoning more than I usually do as I think you have to to get anywhere with him. Definitely someone I'd like to get better with.

Abel

I feel like I should like Abel more but I felt really limited since some of his moves are quite situational. I could only really react.

C. Viper

Another I don't get on with as much as I feel I should. I feel like I know the moves and I have some strats but I still find myself losing a lot. Took me ages to get through it with her and I honestly can't pinpoint why I had so much trouble.

M. Bison

It's hard to not be a pain in the arse with Bison so this was an easy one. It was here I realised that some of the inputs had been changed for Ultra since I'm pretty familiar with him and his second Ultra is now a charge move and not quarter circles. No bother, though.

Sagat

An easy one. Just spam those Tiger Shots and sock 'em with a Tiger Uppercut or Knee when they get close. No shame.

Cammy

Dee Jay

Cody

Guy

Hakan

Rolento

Poison

Evil Ryu

Guile

Blanka

Zangief

Rufus

El Fuerte

Vega

Balrog

Fei Long

T. Hawk

Adon

Rose

Yang

Hugo

More progress made.

Decapre

Ryu

Ken

E. Honda

Ibuki

Makoto

Dudley

Seth

Gouken

Akuma

Gen

Dan

Sakura

Oni

Elena

Yun

Juri

Chu4n-Li

Dhalsim

Abel

C. Viper

M. Bison

Sagat

Cammy

I perhaps didn't need to do this with Cammy as I'm sure I've done it before but to commit to the project I did it again. She's my no. 2 so I'd like to say I owned all the way through... I didn't. Seth took me ages to beat. They've nerfed her too much... well, they haven't, but my cheap tricks don't work as well anymore. But it forced me to up my game so all is better now.

Dee Jay

So much more fun to use than I remember. I'm a scrub who isn't to great with charge characters but he seems like one I could get used to.

Cody

I have no idea why I've not used Guy before; he's a total beast. I've fought him loads since he turns up a bit online. Maybe some resentment stopped me from trying him but my gosh, I think I'll try him, or anyone in the future like him, from now on. Some nice and simple combos, good defensive moves, scope for twatty strategies. My kind of guy, really.

Guy

Not my kind of Guy. He's okay, and I've tried him before but he almost feels a bit redundant now since Yun and Yang are in it now, which are just better versions of him as far as I can see.

Hakan

I used to find Hakan pretty useless but I see something in him now. I want to oil up with Hakan some more because if I am gonna get a grappler it will be him.

Rolento

Totally new to me, this fellow. But I think he's okay. I have a long way to go but I think I have some basic stuff down. I ended up using the focus attacks with him more than I usually do (I should use them more, generally, tbh) but I think I found a thing with him. Not bad.

Poison

She is totally the girl Alice Cooper would sing about. Anyway! At first she seems like quite a basic character, slightly Ryu-esque, but I'd say there is slight nuance to her moves that makes her more interesting than you might think. She's more of a zoning character than than most others.

Evil Ryu

Guile

Blanka

Zangief

Rufus

El Fuerte

Vega

Balrog

Fei Long

T. Hawk

Adon

Rose

Yang

Hugo

On the character select screen I'm on the last row now. I see light at the end of the tunnel.

The penultimate update it seems.

Decapre

Ryu

Ken

E. Honda

Ibuki

Makoto

Dudley

Seth

Gouken

Akuma

Gen

Dan

Sakura

Oni

Elena

Yun

Juri

Chu4n-Li

Dhalsim

Abel

C. Viper

M. Bison

Sagat

Cammy

Dee Jay

Cody

Guy

Hakan

Rolento

Poison

Evil Ryu

Just Ryu with some tweaks. I think Oni is quite different from Akuma and Gouken, but this Ryu/Akuma hybrid doesn't differ that much so if you know your way around those two you'll get a real sense of deja vu with Evil Ryu. There are some neat intricacies but I'd given them the benefit of the doubt and expected something more interesting.

Guile

This didn't go to well. I don't find Guile that fun to use, and I'm not that good with him and it was a bit of a slog. Didn't really learn anything; I don't think there is much to learn.

Blanka

If there is one thing I'm finding is my confidence with charge characters is going up, so much so I'm probably not gonna shy away from them as much as I usually do when SFV comes around. I did start getting the hang of them when I played it a few years back, but stopped just as I was getting a grasp of them, so some stuff I've forgotten. Blanka is a dude I was just getting used to. But I did really well with him. I even did something I've not done before (due to me not playing the arcade mode much in the past).

I got to the secret Akuma fight at the end. I don't know the exact criteria needed to get him to show up but he came on this run. It probably isn't hard but stumbling across him by accident was cool. That's all.

Zangief

Zangief is a classic oddball and still fun to use. I got on okay due to getting used to Hakan.

Rufus

I've tried to use this guy in the past, but I wasted my time. He sucks compared to some of the others I've never tried properly before until starting this.

El Fuerte

So during this run with El Fuerte I felt a way I have not felt since I was an emotionally imbalanced and hormonal teenager, all fucked in the head. I guess I could get pretty damn angry at games during that time, and I've not felt that amount of anger at a game since, until I did the other night while fighting a round three Ken with El Fuerte.

I'm not that good with El Fuerte, I don't really like using him, he's dumb. The game, to test me, decided to have Ken as my opponent for round 3. Capcom was clearly inspired by every scrubby Ken user online to use as a basis for Ken's AI in this stage of the game so I did have the worst time playing a video game I like in a long, long time.

What's funny, is when I was done, with Round Three Ken (or RTK as I will call anyone who will inevitably fights like this of SFV (seriously, I will not forget this)) I then went on to win every match, no problem... I might have lost to Seth, but only once. Fuck El Fuerte and fuck Round Three Ken.

Vega

He's okay (did have an RTK moment but it was much briefer) but there is a bit too much wierd stuff to think about. Watching out for losing his claw and some odd inputs don't make him feel as natural as I'd like, but I think that's the point of him. Given more time maybe I could do more with him.

Balrog

Also has some weird inputs but they make more sense. Another solid fighter that I've always been kinda comfortable with for a charge character.

Fei Long

I used to main him on one of the more recent versions of SFII but I don't feel like I've been that good with him on any SFIV iteration, but this run went well. I did the same as I did with Blanka and unlocked a secret fight at the end, this time against Evil Ryu.

T. Hawk

Adon

Rose

Yang

Hugo

Only five more to go then I've done it. I'd like to say I'd really enjoyed it, but El Fuerte and RTK.

Decapre

Ryu

Ken

E. Honda

Ibuki

Makoto

Dudley

Seth

Gouken

Akuma

Gen

Dan

Sakura

Oni

Elena

Yun

Juri

Chu4n-Li

Dhalsim

Abel

C. Viper

M. Bison

Sagat

Cammy

Dee Jay

Cody

Guy

Hakan

Rolento

Poison

Evil Ryu

Guile

Blanka

Zangief

Rufus

El Fuerte

Vega

Balrog

Fei Long

T. Hawk

This guy has been in the game for ages but I have never played as him before. He's alright, I like him less than the other grapplers I've played as already.

Adon

Adon feels off to me; his moves have odd motions, and I just don't like the character that much. Near the end during the rival fights I just wanted to let Sagat beat the fuck out of him.

Rose

My number one lady. She's a really good 'keep away' character with some nice punishing moves as well. Still a favorite even after playing as everyone.

Yang

Couldn't really get used to him. All the time using him I wished I was using Yun.

Hugo

Okay grappler I guess but while he is very strong then windows he leaves to be punished if something doesn't connect is insane. I think I had problems with all the newer characters as I've not seen them played at a good level and only had my own nonsense to go by.

So. All done now. I didn't really do this to get prepared for Street Fighter V initially but it has got me really pumped for that game now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

A weird bump but, hey, these are strange times.

So, excited to hear that SF6 is heading to Xbox, I've dusted off my unused (sanwa modded) venom fightstick that I bought on a whim years ago and I've settled in to trying to actually learn how to play this game after being an avid spectator for over 10 years. I follow all the tournaments and know all the great players, but I just haven't had the opportunity to play myself. I thought it was going to happen with 5. I bought my stick and was ready to go, but that game was a joke on release. I could hardly get a match online, and I ended up getting a refund in disgust and moving on.

But now the opportunity to play has come again😄.

Obviously, as a beginner, I'm not interested in jumping online with all the killers still playing 5. My intention is to simply learn the basics. How to defend, throw a couple of combos, and perform basic moves competently, like being able to throw a crouch kick/fireball combo with Ryu without thinking.

Been playing arcade mode and training for a couple of weeks. As a milestone I've beaten the game on hard difficulty with Ken, which was quite an achievement at my level of (in)competence.

Why Street fighter 4 I hear you ask? Well, I already had it on my PS4 and I didn't really want spend any money on something I might just give up on if it turns out I have no aptitude for it.

For now, I'm quite happy with my progress and, more importantly, really enjoying the challenge. My goal is to beat the game on hard with 10 or so classic characters, hoping that this exercise will bring the basic moves of the game to muscle memory.

If I'm still interested after that I'll do the same with 5.

Any tips on learning will be greatly appreciated. I know I should be playing real people but, seriously, I'm nowhere near that level yet.

As generally advised for beginners on the interweb I'm sticking with shoto characters to begin with. Suits me, actually, because I love it when someone busts out Ken at a tourney.

Don't really understand the concept of 'charge' characters tho 🤔. Might leave them for now.

I guess one thing I'd say, being careful to not speak out of line as someone who isn't remotely fluent in SF, but I actually think it's not a bad idea to just run online and scramble at lower rank players and just look for the little wins in neutral.  Cause the little wins in the back to back defeats are where you can begin to develop an understanding of the character's advantages and weaknesses, as well as your own places to start developing from. Which is fundamental to getting anywhere at any level, I would think, beginner and mid included. 

It all depends on your own interests tho. Getting clocked by people online can be discouraging as well. It's just I went through learning a new character just now in another game over the past few weeks and found the stray hits I landed in online defeats are what helped direct my learning the most. I would think this is something pretty fundamental to SF also, but it really depends on what kind of matchmaking an old game like SF has

You likely learn more about the game by losing once to a human player than beating ten CPU opponents. The SFIV AI is notorious for reading inputs and being helpless against Level 3 focus attacks, meaning there's basically one and only one way to defeat higher level CPUs which will not teach you anything about the game. Yes, you will eventually grow accustomed to the game's controls and character movement and maybe improve your execution somewhat, but as far as learning a fighting game goes, beating up an AI is like trying to learn how to draw in complete darkness. 

That said I have no idea what the beginner-level community of this game looks like these days, if there even is one. I'd imagine most people trying out a fighting game go with the latest release instead of choosing a game from almost 15 years ago (sweet jesus). It also certainly doesn't help that SFIV is an immensely complex game with some extremely tight execution requirements depending on your character in addition to having such a vast roster of mostly unique archetypes that it seems borderline impossible to even get the faintest grasp on most matchups.

But shotos are a good start in 4. Evil Ryu is by far the strongest of them and close to being overpowered, so you might just want to pick him despite the dumb visual design. Then just hop online and evaluate what the competition is doing. If you find people on your level and they're just jumping around and hitting random buttons, then stick with it and try to beat them with deliberate attacks instead of mimicking their playstyle. Crouching Medium Kick into fireball is a basic cancel that's safe on block and crouching Heavy Punch will anti-air people jumping at you. You really don't need more than that at the beginning.

Thanks for the input. I really am just using 4 to get a feel for the stick. When I move over to 5 I'll learn a shoto and go online for the pain of it.

Plus, I really need a wired connection for this latter endeavour as my gaming space is far away from my virgin hub. This will take a bit of an effort (drilling thru walks etc) and I at least want to be able to do some basic moves before going to all that trouble.

I'm really excited about 6, tho. It looks incredible. It's probably my most anticipated announced game. So, hopefully I'll stick with it. 

I've moved onto Ryu, and I definitely feel that training followed by a run thru on arcade hard difficulty is improving the accuracy of my inputs. Following interweb advice I'm staying grounded unless a I get a clear read from the enemy and this is defo helping with the final boss, although I haven't beat him yet with Ryu.

I'm also close to pulling off ryu's classic FADC ultra in training. Getting a dragon punch at the end tho. Bugger