passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Activision axes Infinity Ward bosses

retroed

From someone one NeoGAF, after condensing the text of the lawsuit here.

WHAT HAPPENED: The two developers were promised royalties as part of their contract for Modern Warfare 2. They're claiming Activision fired them under false pretenses in order to avoid paying those royalties.

The lawsuit then gives background about the company, including alleging that Activision purposely gave Infinity Ward a small budget for Call of Duty in order to buy 30% of its stock for cheap since the small budget would keep them from fighting it.

It also states some things we all know; sales figures, revenue numbers, etc. West and Zampella (the two developers and plaintiffs) had only one year on their contract before MW2 started. They were reluctant to get an extension on their contract, but did so anyway because Activision promised complete control of IW AND creative control over any post-Vietnam Call of Duty and MW games that might be developed.

Blah, blah, blah; more sales figures and talks of how MW2 was praised upon release. Activision then launched the investigation of Zampella and West about a week after the release of MW2. They hired outside lawyers and investigators to question other employees (some of whom cried from anxiety) and threatened insubordination charges if the two plaintiffs tried to console the other employees.

West and Zampella then said they were going to talk to their lawyers, at which point they were told Activision would make things worse if they did. The two men were also never told what exactly they had done wrong at any given point during the investigation. Activision strung the investigation along, then gave the two IW guys about six hours to respond to the accusations. A couple days later, Activision announced the new Call of Duty games they want to make (which were posted in another article).

WHAT THEY WANT: The first claim is to about US$36 million in damages. Second, they also want control of the Modern Warfare franchise back, since that was what was promised. Third, they also say Activision cannot make any further MW games OR post-Vietnam Call of Duties set in the present, near future, or far future. Fourth, they feel that Activision owes them their royalties and bonuses regardless of whether or not their termination from IW was legitimate. And obviously, they want their attorney fees covered.

And that's about it. I may have misread the complaint a bit, so feel free to correct me

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any decent court will take Activision to the cleaners over what I see there. It wouldn't surprise me if they were to go tits up over this, I mean, they hardly have a diverse portfolio. They have 1 more game in them (if they are allowed to keep the CoD name) to prove us wrong, but I can imagine a lot of the people that worked on that jumping ship to be with the guys that know will look after them.

Any decent court will take Activision to the cleaners over what I see there.

I suppose it all depends on if they have any of those promises in writing. If they haven't and it was all just verbally agreed then they haven't got a leg to stand on.

Future Modern Warfare Releases Could Be Vetoed By West and Zampella

Written Thursday, March 04, 2010 by Richard Walker

More from the Activision vs Infinity Ward debacle as sacked ex-IW studio heads Vince Zampella and Jason West could retain the power to veto any future Modern Warfare releases, which could possibly affect DLC as well as the games themselves, according to Jas Purewal, associate at legal firm Olswang LLP (via GamesIndustry.biz).

Activision is also searching for internal documents - perhaps to serve as evidence - to support their allegations of "insubordination" and - get this - "Documents regarding West and Zampella's communications with Activision's competitors, including but not limited to Electronic Arts".

Could it have been that the ex-Infinity Ward duo were in communication with EA? That's what this seems to suggest and could be part of the reason Activision decided to let the pair go.

Activision meanwhile have issued their first public statement regarding the lawsuit launched by West and Zampella following their dismissal:

"Activision is disappointed that Mr. Zampella and Mr. West have chosen to file a lawsuit, and believes their claims are meritless," said an Acti spokesperson.

Aw. Poor 'ikkle Activision. They're all disappointed! After sacking two employees before paying them due royalties. Poor Activision.

This is all turning into a big, legal mess for both parties it seems, with the ex-Infinity Ward duo seeking control over the Modern Warfare brand and Activision maintaining that they've "done nothing wrong and intends to vigorously defend any claims asserted by West and Zampella" according to an internal memo doing the rounds before the lawsuit was filed.

Bit more from Activision:

"Over eight years, Activision shareholders provided these executives with the capital they needed to start Infinity Ward, as well as the financial support, resources and creative independence that helped them flourish and achieve enormous professional success and personal wealth," the statement says.

It continues, "In return Activision legitimately expected them to honor their obligations [to us], just like any other executive who holds a position of trust in the company. While the company showed enormous patience, it firmly believes that its decision was justified based on their course of conduct and actions. Activision remains committed to the Call of Duty franchise, which it owns, and will continue to produce exciting and innovative games for its millions of fans."

I suppose it all depends on if they have any of those promises in writing. If they haven't and it was all just verbally agreed then they haven't got a leg to stand on.

If they didn't get it in writing their bigger fucking idiots than I think they are already.

There's a rumour going round that Activision are going to merge Infinity Ward and Treyarch.

From a business point it probably makes sense, because they must know there's gonna be people leaving IW at some point soon.

If they didn't get it in writing their bigger fucking idiots than I think they are already.

Verbal contracts are binding too, over here anyway, not sure about over there but I imagine it would be similar.

• 4 weeks later...
nfinity Ward Lose Two More Key Staff Members

Written Tuesday, April 06, 2010 by Richard Walker

Following the uncerimonious firing of Infinity Ward studio founders Vince Zampella and Jason West, two more key players from the Modern Warfare 2 developer have decided to jump ship, each taking roughly eight years of Call of Duty-related experience with them in the process.

Lead Designer, Todd Alderson and Lead Software Engineer, Francesco Gigliotti have both updated their LinkedIn profiles to show that they're no longer with the company. Alderson was previously involved in Modern Warfare's multiplayer and story, so as such was a key member of personnel at Infinity Ward.

According to Kotaku, it's currently unclear under what circumstances the pair left the company, but sources close to Infinity Ward suggest that they both resigned.

Zampella and West meanwhile are signed to a Hollywood talent agency. It's been just over a month since the founding duo were fired by Activision for "breaches of contract and insubordination."

wonder why they quit exactly, principle i imagine (or if that rumour is true, because they dont want to be absorbed into the inferior treyarch) because it seems if zampella and west are on a talent agency theyre not looking to start a new company so these guys arent leaving to join them

US, April 9, 2010 - In response to a lawsuit filed in March by former Infinity Ward heads Jason West and Vince Zampella, Activision has filed a suit of its own, claiming that the two Call of Duty developers were "insubordinate and self-serving schemers who attempted to hijack Activision's assets for their own personal gain."

And that's just the first page. Check out the filing for yourself to read Activision's allegations of secret plane trips, eavesdropped conversations and furtive email exchanges.

But first, catch up on the whole Infinity Ward vs. Activision saga and read West and Zampella's lawsuit.

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/108/1082884p1.html

Click the pics on the link above to read the full 23 page filing by Activision. Or click here for page one and hit next to carry on.

It's getting heavy. If all that stuff is true, then Zampella and West are a right pair of twats.

:o you read it all? what do zamp n west stand accused of exactly?

I read the whole thing too - according to Activision they broke basically every contract they ever signed, told Activision they should get money meant for other IW staff, and lied about Activisions treatment of IW in order to put them in a position to have very loyal staff that would jump ship with them through their break off plot with EA.

Oh, what do we have here?

im inclined to give the little guys the benefit of the doubt over the evil corporation hooha. if that was all true though, i quite like a bit of insurbordination :D but if they tried to get their staffs bonuses for themselves that sucks. like i said though, i dont believe it.

Bit more info

Infinity Ward Delaying Work on Modern Warfare 3 Due to Lawsuit

Written Monday, April 12, 2010 by Richard Walker

According to Activision, the ongoing lawsuit between the publisher and fired Infinity Ward heads Jason West and Vince Zampella is "delaying pre-production of Modern Warfare 3."

Court documents relating to the case (via Kotaku) cite Activision complaints regarding the pair's plans to form a "spin-off" studio as cause for the delay, which is being used as "leverage in their negotiations with Activision."

Earlier today, EA announced West and Zampella's newly formed studio, Respawn Entertainment, which could possibly shorten the proposed delay in Modern Warfare 3's development process.

West and Zampella are currently attempting to sue their former employers for $36 million and control over the Modern Warfare brand as part of their lawsuit.

Activision has also claimed that due to the duo's "breach of the covenant of good faith and fair dealing," it's been forced into commiting additional resources to Modern Warfare 3.

We surely haven't heard the last of this yet then.

:blink:

Apparently 7 more according to this :o

Infinity Ward Suffers Another Wave of Staff Walkouts

Written Wednesday, April 14, 2010 by Richard Walker

Following the firing of Infinity Ward founders and former studio heads Jason West and Vince Zampella, no fewer than nine employees have now left the Modern Warfare 2 developer.

With two key players - Lead Designer, Todd Alderson and Lead Software Engineer, Francesco Gigliotti - leaving at the beginning of the month, seven more have since followed suit over the ensuing weeks, taking the current tally up to nine.

Three Infinity Ward devs left the company yesterday, all of which were also key team members. Senior Animator Bruce Ferriz left to join Big Red Button Entertainment in Santa Monica while experienced programmer Jon Shiring and Lead Designer Mackey McCandlish also quit the company separately.

Today, another four staff members have joined the wave of walkouts. Steve Fukuda, Zied Reike, programmer Rayme Vinson and lead artist Chris Cherubini.

Since being dismissed from Infinity Ward, West and Zampella have formed Respawn Entertainment with EA and their lawsuit against Activision is still ongoing.