passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Brütal Legend

illdog

Ok, the intro is great, make sure you watch it.

Having read the less than postive first impression that Ed posted up form some dude at GAF and learning there were RTS bits in the game i wasnt sure what i was going to think...

...but so far so good. Ive plumped for Normal difficutly, this is a game id rather enjoy, the challenge of Brütal difficulty can wait. It kicks off same as the demo, basically your introcuded to basic combat and driving the car (Druid Plow/The Duece!). Didnt get so far in the demo because i ejected the disc in the 360 and it cut me back to the dashboard. Just incase, you...

fight a boss in your car

...then its pretty much time for Chapter 2.

Chapter 2 see's the first introduction of the dreaded RTS mode which thankfully was all right. Im sure more is to come but what you had to do was simple and well explained. Ive done about 10 mins after that in which i found the Motor Forge so i can upgrade my attacks and my car and met a certain someone we all know.

Gameplay wise, it all feels very simple. I keep wanting to jump, i guess its ingrained, but there is no jump button. And to be fair, from what ive played so far you dont need to jump, it just feels odd that i cant. Pretty much hack and slash so far, mindless but good fun. Driving, again very simple, accelerate and reverse on the triggers, click left stick for Turbo.

Im not far enough through the game to judge it, but im hoping its simplicity is supported by its continued awesomeness, cos what ive done so far ive breezed through - all im saying it may get a little dull if the plot gets a little dull. The next chpters probably going to kick my ass now.

Have you seen the

Lemmy

cameo yet - fits in nicely.

So far I dont think that this is the greatest game ever but it is good. Very good. The style, graphics, music, jokes, voice acting etc. all integrate really well and I think that is what makes the game.

I never expected it to be the greatest game in the world so im not dissapointed. My favorite part of the game by far is the main hub and driving around in the Duece looking for bound serpants, vistas and buried relics all the while rocking out to heavy metal. The car handles like shit tho!

Ive bought a fair few moves now and i can kick all sorts of ass.

I'm loving this but am I alone in thinking that the game would have benefited more from RPG elements rather than RTS? I haven't got that far in yet so maybe it opens up a lot but normally I just leave my dudes and go power sliding into those dirty glam rocker scum. Normally when I turn around I have lost site of my dudes and I just plough on without any problems. All the bad guys scattered around the world seem a bit pointless as well since you don't get anything for killing them.

Some RPG thingamybobs would atleast make fighting random folks more worthwhile.

I know the RTS part of the game isn't that well done but it is workable in a simple way and I thing the game would lose something without it. Its all about metal and starting a revolution, getting loyal rock worshippers behind you and taking down evil. If it was a different type of game (like a hack'n'slash) but just had that stuff bubbling in the cut-scenes then it would lose something, well I think anyway.

Fuck that stuff anyway, tis fun and has made me lol on enough occasions and as far as I'm concerned it is Jack Black's finest performance. Looking forward to Tim's next project.

got to agree with everyone, while some bits of the gameplay are very dull, the actual game itself is just so well done i can't help but love it. even the RTS (and i hate RTS) is ok to play through. not great, but ok. much prefer the quests and just drving around. if you think you're going to like it then you will, there's no surprises, but i think its brilliant. i've always said games these days just need more manowar...

I spent two hours this morning just buggerubg around the land of Rock, running over those porcupine things and doing side missions, brilliant stuff. Almost agree with DC but Jack Blacks finest performance is Pick of Destiny, then School of Rock, then this.

Ive just done quite a large RTS section and i quite enjoyed it to my surprise. Still, the games much better when its hacking and slashing but i struggle to find too much fault with the game cos its so fucking entertaining.

cameo was great :D

I must of spoke to that guy half a dozen before I realised who it was. <_<

I haven't been able to put this down this weekend, its an awesome game. My metal knowledge is shit but I'm getting the odd reference.

After I bought some armour for my car Ozzy said I must be Paranoid, oh I did laugh....

I'm also starting to enjoy the more RTS'y big battles now, when you switch off and just let things happen things start going wrong, its more active than you think, though RTS' usually catch me out like that. It can get tense anyhows.

I'm well into the second section of the land also and I've just realised how to free the dragon statues so I've going back and freeing all the ones I've missed while running over Emo's and listening to Whitesnake. Also, if anyone hasen't found the Bring it Home guitar solo then get it quick, I don't think I'll see a cooler thing in a game this year.

Yea, got a grip on some basic tactics for the RTS sections now I won the last few with relative ease.

I finished it last night, very enjoyable as an overall experience but i can safely say that i enjoyed exploring the world a ton more than playing the story. Dont get me wrong, the story is good fun but looking for serpants and legends and animals to hunt is just much more, um, fun.

Ive managed 70 serpents now, i cant believe there's another 50 to get cos i feel like ive looked everywhere. Motor Forges and Solos were relatively easy to find, didnt know how to open up the Legends until i completed the game so i have to go back and find all them now...

My biggest gripe with the game is the restart points. If you die whilst exploring you can sometimes start literally fuckimg miles away from where you died. The way around this seems to be to visit Motor Forges in the area so it saves properly but once when i was exploring BladeHenge and fell off a cliff i started again down by the Sea of tears and that almost a five minute drive. Very dull.

Still, its the only game i want to play at the moment other than online Halo 3. Rock?

Its quite traditional, more along the lines of C&C. Theres resource management and an AI opponent with similar skills to yourself is trying to also take resources and take out your base. When these battles take place Eddie becomes a winged demon an in this state you can fly around very quickly and moniter the battlefield, its almost like you become a curser, albeit a curser that can jump down and fight too.

The reviews I've seen just say these sections are crap and offer no real explanation, the lack of a mini map is mentioned and is fair enough, when large buildings are in the way following your troops can be a pain but the open stages (like most of them) are fine. Maybe compared to a dedicated RTS like Starcraft maybe it is lacking but then I wouldn't know.

I think part of the hate towards them is they can be a stumbling block, especially when the rest of the game is quite easy and just plain fun, then you're hit with these battles which if you don't concentrate properly then you're gonna get fucked, then you're gonna get frustrated.

From what I've played so far, it's not really much like an RTS. I'd consider it more like the Pikmin and Overlord type of thing.

You still control Eddie from the regular camera angle, and don't directly control other units on the battlefield. It's limited to telling your units to follow you, defend an area, converge on where you're standing, or attack a specific area. All the while you're moving around and fighting the enemies with Eddie as usual.

I completed this earlier and I was really sad to see the end. The RTS sections really began to grow on me as the game went on and you got more control, didn't find them difficult at all though, in fact, I think I only ever died when I drove my car off cliffs while I was inebriated on metal.

There have been complaints that it's too short but it took me 16 hours. Now, I did spend a lot of time cruising round, listening to metal and setting Dragons free but with it being a sandbox world you are always going to get the most out of it if you spend a load of time messing about.

Any of the dudes from here fancy dipping into multiplayer sometime? I have no desire to play randoms.

Id give it a go in multiplayer Bob the Badger, but my tactics consist of build a huge army and attack so if you can find a way past that your in for some victories.

As for the RTS sections Hendo, they always consist of two bases (or stages in this game). Littered around the play field are guisers that leek untamed fans. To tame fans you have to play a certain solo that builds a tower over the guiser and they then are and directed toward your stage . Fans act as currency to spend on troops that can be built from the stage. Fans can also be spent on uprgading your stage so its capable of producing more powerful troops. The ultimate aim is to batter the enemies stage into dust at the other end of the playing field.

87 seprants down, getting fucking hard now but i dont want to resort to a guide.

Just started this last night, got to the end of the demo section, to the point where you're given a map and the open world makes itself known. I got to the location and talked to the people there and that was about it.

I'm a bit apprehensive because of all the RTS talk, but in Schafer I trust.