passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Excitebots - Wii

DANGERMAN

The short description of this is that it's Excitetruck with more Excite and less Truck. Literally as well, there arent any trucks any more, instead you have animatronics with wheels. E.g. a frog, a bat, a mouse, a beetle, all with wheels and the ability to run at points. There's ridiculous jumps all over the place, and its now easier to do the mid-air spin.

Theres also loads of items and bars knocking about for big points. On most tracks theres a red bar that your vehicle can grab hold of, you have to swing the remote in time with your Bot, this nets you loads of stars and a massive speed boost, and also more often than not, the opportunity to do some air spins for even more. There's item boxes that either drop weapons, or items to get stars. For example, a football to score with, a dart to hit the bull with, some pins to get a strike with, or a baseball bat to hit an incoming ball with. There's even stars just dotted around the track, these are either hard to reach, or guarded by something that can you cost you position

Things like drifting just dont seem to matter anymore, in the same way scraping for each point AND winning the race doesnt seem to be required anymore, you can easily get the points you need, wit the win merely netting you a few more to push towards an S.

There's Bots to unlock, though not all that many seemingly, it's also a bit of a stupid mechanism to do it. The stars earned in a race unlock the cars/bots, but you then need to buy them to get them. If you get enough S ranks you can get (I assume) a bonus version of your favourite bot, as I've been using the Bat and for just 25 more S ranks (or 250,000 stars - I've got 3,000) I can get Dracula

I played online too, that worked well. It's a bit of a trek to get to the race itself, but more because of the options it throws at you such as betting, track selection, Bot selection etc, rather than server issues. The race itself is nice and smooth, I came joint first on the race, there was 6 of us playing I think, could be wrong. Didnt notice any glitching and I'm guessing I was playing americans rather that Europeans because of where this has been released.

So yeah, basically more gimmicky than the first game, but thats not the worst thing when you consider there's not a huge amount they could do with it

Completed Excite mode, you have to get S ranks on everything to unlock Super Excite, which I'd pretty much already done, there was only a couple I didnt get S on first attempt, and i corrected that as I went along. I mentioned the Dracula bot, I was told at the time I needed 25 more S's, which is great but I cant remember how long ago that was and theres no indication of how many more I need to get, which is a bit annoying. The unlock thing is idiotic, I can see the logic that it keeps you playing, but as it stands there's a bot I need 10,000 stars to buy, but as you spend the stars it means you'd have to build up your stock. You only get 200+/- per race, so it's going to take a while to unlock all the bots (there's quite a few now, although I've only bought 1), and that's ignoring the icons and diorama's that all cost stars.

It is good addictive fun, but there's things I miss about the first game that I cant quite put my finger on. It's certainly different enough to buy, but still very excite

I'm going to try a better original in a couple of days (Im away tomorrow), and see if I can get a sharper image for not much more file size.

Its not gonna stop me getting it cos the racing still looks thuper fun, but the bots really look out of place. I heart Trucks.

I think it's fine when you're in the air, maybe because I go the bat so much, but the spider looks ok, it's when they run at the start that they look really shit

And yes Jim, Excite Truck is awesome, reviewers were just too scared of its tremendoscity to give it the scores it deserved

It's not misogynistic so she shouldnt be offended

What did you use to record that Ben?

one of these.

I've got a multi scart thing that has composite out on it, so I've got my wii/ps2 into that. For the 360/ps3 I'll have to do the same if I can find the scart lead for my 360, failing that I've got composites for both.

I use the software that came with it to record the video (because thats the only software on my computer that recognises its plugged in <_< ), record the voice with Audacity, then edit it all togather with windows movie maker. It's quite easy all things considered