passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Xbox Kinect

Hendo

Nothing for us people then.

What about Dance Central? Dance Central is amazing, Dance Central is the best game ever. Even though we rabidly mocked Dance Central when it was called Just Dance on the Wii, now Dance Central is on our favourite console and made by our favourite developer

I never mocked Just Dance, I remember me and Jim speaking about it on one of the podcasts and we were both intrigued to give it a try.

I like mini-game collections but that line-up doesn't fill me with confidence.

I would still like to have a go on Just Dance.. :blush:

It does nothing for me

oooohhhhhhhhh Vienna

either.

Just Dance is crap as a game. I got it for my little un (and me) to play - its a good idea implemented badly. There is no progression - everything is unlocked when you start. All you do is select a song and dance. The 'move' detection is garbage - you can do the same move again and again and it will give you an Excellent (or whatever) one time and then not register the move the next time. It also marks you when you arent even moving the Wiimote.

But it is fun. I do a mean Womaniser.

I expect the Kinect one will be a laugh too.

I do a mean Womaniser.

It better have a good dance routine, the lyrics are toss.

Womanizer, woman-womanizer, you're a womanizer,

Oh womanizer, oh you're a womanizer, baby

You you you are, you you you are

Womanizer, womanizer, womanizer (womanizer)

Genius.

• 3 weeks later...

Personal verdict: Kinect is awesome!

Played it for ages last night and it's seriously impressive, much better than a wii. It's going to be huge this Christmas, like the Wii was when that came out. I have nothing but prais for it. I was hyped when I first heard about the tech but after E3 I was sceptical, and now my faith has been restored.

Kinect adventures isn't great so it's worth getting Kinect sports for good ol' family fun. Kinectimals would be a good game if it didn't have this annoying fairy thing that won't shut up, but Dance central is the game you want it for. Navigating the menus on that feels so good.

I wouldn't bother buying it if you're just going to play it in your bedroom though (unless it's massive), you NEED a living room.

The Wii is dead now, this will be the new family game device of choice

The Wii is dead now, this will be the new family game device of choice

I think it's going to be massively helped by there not being another new console out for christmas. If the 3DS was launching now kinect would be fucked. I dont really buy that this will have anything close to the Wii's level of success, or that the Wii is dead. Take my parents for example, or my sister, they aren't going to buy a 360 to then buy a kinect for the same price, not a chance, especially as there is nothing in the software lineup that would tempt them. It may have its own Wii Sports, but it's not got the same appeal of Nintendo's version, partly down to how it looks, but more because now it's just yet another Wii Sports clone.

Add to that there's very little on there that seems worth playing, Nintendo are bigging up Mario, Kinect has nothing that can compare to it in brand terms. I also think that there's some games the Wii will just do better than Kinect, same with Move, there's some games where having something to hold is going to be much better.

That said I'll be surprised it it bombs, I think it'll do ok. But there's enough negativity around it (like how much room it needs, the price, and the lackluster line up) that it's not going to replace the Wii

Personally I'd like one to try the tech, even though it'd be quicker to use a pointer or a stick to navigate menus, it's still geekily appealing. I might end up cracking when the Panzer Dragoon pseudo-sequel arrives, until then though it looks like a lot of stuff I wouldn't buy on the wii (that said I really hope the Rez sequel does have move support, pointer controls with that would be :toss: )

I will be buying it for my Bedroom however, My bedroom is rather big but alot of jumping may not be a wise idea Hmm..

I too was hyped from the beginning but felt kinda let down by E3 and the lineup a lil bit but games like fighters uncaged still have my intrigued.

Just that i can get it for £125 with 2 games with my staff discount and nectar points is quite tempting.

Just that i can get it for £125 with 2 games with my staff discount and nectar points is quite tempting.

TBH its exactly that that puts me off. £125 is a lot to splash out, even more for those without any discount options. Nothing I've seen has me interested whatsoever. The bit I saw of Dance Central looks cool, but nothing else has me tempted.

Also I think declaring the death of the wii is somewhat premature. The fact that the wii is such a massively established family brand, not just a console means that there is no chance (IMO) that kinect will replace it any time in the near future. At the moment it still feels more like a gimmick from a company trying to tap into the family market. I'm sure the tech involved is very clever and innovative and all.

What bugs me is both Microsoft and Sony and pitching these new controllers as "changing the way you play games" and a "gaming revolution" when the wii has been doing the same as the move for about 5 years now, and motion controlled games have been about in some form for about 10 years. The whole thing just feels like desperate catch up because they want a slice of this newly discovered family market.

</soapbox>

I kinda want one of these now, mainly for the Christmas lolz that would certainly occur.

I watched a fair bit if the Giant Bomb coverage of Kinect games the other day, and some of them seemed genuinely good. A better line up than I was expecting. I do think it's overpriced, though.