passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Shmup Thread

spatular

Andro Dunos II is on sale on the eShop, haven't checked the other platforms. I picked it up and played through half of it so far and it seems pretty good. It feels like a more fast paced R-Type without (thankfully) the checkpoint system. You have five weapon systems at your disposal that can individually be upgraded and it's actually worthwhile to keep track and upgrade them equally as they all have their uses. Visually it's a nice 16bit aesthetic and the soundtrack is top notch. 

I remember that it garnered quite a bit of attention because it came out one or two years ago for the 3DS as well. Anyone played it on that system? I saw that they still have about 300 copies left in stock and am considering picking it up as a bit of a curiosity for the collection.

I looked around youtube a bit and it seems the 3DS version has a rather wonky framerate, this guy right here didn't like that version at all: 

I might still pick it up and leave it in the wrap considering the Switch version seems the way to play it anyway and I already have that now. I got used to the background/foreground issue pretty quickly btw., I think it does a good enough job of making the background noticeably darker so you can differentiate between them after a few minutes of adjustment.

The Dreamcast version seems to be pretty decent. The 3DS might have been an afterthought considering it should outperform the DC.

I played a bit more and I'm really enjoying it, even though Sage 5 keeps kicking my butt. Might have to swallow my pride and add a few more continues.

One thing I'd like to add is that this game has one of the best 'CRT modes' I've seen so far. I doesn't overdo it with the scanlines, which is a common problem with those modes, and the way the screen becomes curved feels right enough. I actually prefer playing it like that.

I'll put this here rather than a news thread 

It's been more than 20 years since the Sega Dreamcast was discontinued, but amazingly enough, there are still games for the system that have never been released elsewhere. That will be changing for at least one game in the near future, as Rainbow Cotton will be coming to modern platforms in 2024. Originally released in 2000, Rainbow Cotton is a 3D rail-shooter similar to games like Panzer Dragoon. Unlike Panzer Dragoon, Rainbow Cotton features brighter visuals and a more lighthearted atmosphere. Players take on the role of Cotton, a young witch trying to rescue the stolen Willow candy.

A trailer for Rainbow Cotton can be found below. 

https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/sega-dreamcast-exclusive-rainbow-cotton-coming-modern-consoles/

• 2 months later...

Has anyone played the first Andro Dunos? The Visco collection on Switch is currently a bit cheaper and among a couple of other arcade games I'm unfamiliar with there's Andro Dunos. And with how much I enjoyed the second one recently I'm rather interested in giving it a shot if it's half decent.

On 27/11/2023 at 22:14, Maryokutai said:

Has anyone played the first Andro Dunos? The Visco collection on Switch is currently a bit cheaper and among a couple of other arcade games I'm unfamiliar with there's Andro Dunos. And with how much I enjoyed the second one recently I'm rather interested in giving it a shot if it's half decent.

Unfortunately not, or at least don't think so. Same as you, after enjoying the sequel I'm kind of curious 

I ended up not buying it because December is expensive enough, but I kept it on my wishlist. I probably would have gotten it if it wasn't part of a collection but except for a decent-looking racing game there's not much in that bundle that interests me.

^ damn it, lolz, etc. why do they keep tempting me with special editions of stuff. You getting it? If theres a medium fancy version with just the soundtrack i think i might - well there is but doesnt seem to be on amazon so far anyway.

been playing dodonpachi doj a bit, theres loads of modes, not even tried them all yet, one of the arrange modes is reasonably difficulty till the last boss which is super hard.

^ in the picture it says 72mm so you're not far off with 4cm!

been playing more dodonpachi doj, got a 1cc on the first 2 arrange modes which are quite easy (as they have auto bomb/hyper) except for the last boss but not a clue how scoring works so need to look into that, the 3rd arrange mode is a lot harder as it's based on the second loop but still has auto bomb/hyper. despite playing it loads before i'm also still really enjoying the arcade and black label modes, it's relentless, it's amazing.

also my ps2 saturn pad broke which is a disaster as i use that for ps2, 360, and ps4 (which explains why it broke it's had so much use ~17 years old) - lucky it was the rubber part behind the dpad - replaced it with a part from a new retro-bit pad and it seems to be working ok again.

• 2 weeks later...

A little help please, both Ray Z Arcade Chronology and Layer Section Galactic Attack S tribute are on sale for Switch at minute. 
As far as I can tell though they’re basically the same games except Ray Z has some extra games too. Does anyone know for sure if I buy the Ray collection I basically get the arcade version of Layer Section or not? I’ve spent the last 30 minutes googling and reading about them but still can’t figure it out! 

^ yeah that's a good question, ray z is by m2 so i guess that's the one you want if it includes the games you want

layer section has 3 names which also doesn't help - galactic attack and rayforce. apparently it's also called gunlock so 4 names!

the switch page says it includes rayforce:

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch-games/Ray-z-Arcade-Chronology-2394207.html

is that the arcade version or saturn version (or another?) not sure, i've played the saturn version and it's good though imo.

the other s-tribute one will most likely be the saturn version as afaik all the s-tribute stuff is saturn games and some apparently have bad input lag - not sure if its been fixed up though.

i can't really confirm any of this as the version i ordered still isn't released :(

edit - looking at this i think the ray z is the arcade version and s-tribute is the saturn one

edit 2 - to make it even more confusing i think this physical version doesn't include it (which to be fair has a different name)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0BXPR8B43/?th=1

• 1 month later...

Something about the colours make that game look a bit confusing to me unfortunately.

The Visco Collection I mentioned a few posts above is on sale again and this time I took the bait. I tried the first Andro Dunos but I got the impression as if there was a bit of input lag present. Not massively so, but enough to made me wonder if the movement is a bit sluggish by default or if it's through the emulation. Will have to spend a bit more time with this. There's also another shoot'em up in there in which you control a tomato or something, haven't tried that out yet.

^ the rally game in that collection looks interesting.

i thought the same about all the colours in that always surrender game, until id played it, turning the background off helps, i found it to be fine as you just have to avoid everything except the medals. I ended up playing it quite a lot, about 5 hours, i like it, its sort of like a vertical shmup take on geometry wars, each game is really quick and theres a few different modes, or really what reminds me of geometry wars is the pacifist mode.