passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift

DANGERMAN

Got to say I was never taken with the first game. I only played a demo and it did nothing to convince me I needed it in my life alongside Excite Truck. I heard the 1up Yours podcast talking about PR, about how fun it was to escape through a gap in the rock or under a branch because you'd picked a small vehicle, or to plough your way over your competitors because you'd gone big. Sounded awesome and got me interested.

Hopefully it's just because i'm not far enough into the game yet, or not intune enough to spot them, but so far it just seems like standard multiple route high/low affairs. I guess certain routes are more suited to certain vehicles to an extent, but i managed to use a narrow path intended for the buggy and bikes in a truck on skill alone. There's definately a difference in what vehicle you choose, but so far its not seemed to affect me winning the race, I'm on the early stages so i might get away with picking the wrong car for the track or for my style.

Not sure what I think of the layout so far, you have to get a certain number of points to open up the next branch of tracks,. You've 4 themes of track to choose from, so you'll need (as an example) 400 points across the 4 themes which each have 2 tracks open each. Nice unless you have to win every race on every stage to open up the later levels at some point.

Does look nice, some really good effects with the water and mud splashes. And even though I dont feel like I'm seeing what the game should be offering yet, I'm still having fun

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got to say I was never taken with the first game. I only played a demo and it did nothing to convince me I needed it in my life alongside Excite Truck. I heard the 1up Yours podcast talking about PR, about how fun it was to escape through a gap in the rock or under a branch because you'd picked a small vehicle, or to plough your way over your competitors because you'd gone big. Sounded awesome and got me interested.

Hopefully it's just because i'm not far enough into the game yet, or not intune enough to spot them, but so far it just seems like standard multiple route high/low affairs. I guess certain routes are more suited to certain vehicles to an extent, but i managed to use a narrow path intended for the buggy and bikes in a truck on skill alone. There's definately a difference in what vehicle you choose, but so far its not seemed to affect me winning the race, I'm on the early stages so i might get away with picking the wrong car for the track or for my style.

Not sure what I think of the layout so far, you have to get a certain number of points to open up the next branch of tracks,. You've 4 themes of track to choose from, so you'll need (as an example) 400 points across the 4 themes which each have 2 tracks open each. Nice unless you have to win every race on every stage to open up the later levels at some point.

Does look nice, some really good effects with the water and mud splashes. And even though I dont feel like I'm seeing what the game should be offering yet, I'm still having fun

Thats become a staple of alot of racers since MSR (probably longer) it seems, it can be a good thing, but sometimes developers get a bit carried away and make it more difficult than it needs to be for you to progress through the sections...

Yeah exactly, it's great to get people like me (unfocused and easily distracted) to replay races, but there are tracks you just cant do sometimes, where your style doesnt suit the car that suits the track. If that point comes at the midway point then you'll only ever see half the game and that's a shame.

That said make it too easy and I'll never replay the tracks because i'll never need to so i'll still only see half of the game

After getting over the initial trickiness when you don't know the level at all (some courses I think are easier to play first time through, some are bastards) I think it's a great game.

Reminds me of a cross between SEGA Rally and Pure, which is no bad thing. Apparently my mate's now addicted to it which is odd.

It's a very hard game though, quite unforgiving.

I've been playing this for the first time & have to say I love it - and its just as much fun as Pure, if not more riotous! I never thought that much of the original but the controls do feel a slight tad tighter here, although the monster truck is very hard to handle (maybe cos I was on a bike) although as with Burnout, its still very much risk/reward gameplay. Some lovely vistas aswell - although I think I just love the sensation of flying off a huge cliff whilst boosting like buggery on a motorbike, and being able to whack your opponents only adds to the competative fun.

It makes me feel like a hells angel on hard liquor! :lol:;)

It is indeed, I took part in a challenge on the Festival last night, a time attack where i had to pass through markers. Finishing the race wasn't too bad, but i had to do it with 15seconds in hand if i wanted to get the 100 points (points go towards your rank, so open up more races... I think that's how it works anyway). It must of taken me over 20 attempts, admitedly some of those were restarting as soon as i made a mistake as any mistakes meant you werent going to make the time.

Not all of it is such hard work though, I just finished a race as the big tanker thing. I won it by about half a second, but the fun came from just riding over my competitors and smashing down barriers to make my own short cut

It is indeed, I took part in a challenge on the Festival last night, a time attack where i had to pass through markers. Finishing the race wasn't too bad, but i had to do it with 15seconds in hand if i wanted to get the 100 points (points go towards your rank, so open up more races... I think that's how it works anyway). It must of taken me over 20 attempts, admitedly some of those were restarting as soon as i made a mistake as any mistakes meant you werent going to make the time.

Not all of it is such hard work though, I just finished a race as the big tanker thing. I won it by about half a second, but the fun came from just riding over my competitors and smashing down barriers to make my own short cut

Using a motorbike like I did in the demo certainly gives you more leeway on the track and you do get used to the handling after a while. I did come in first twice! :D

I got this for christmas and agree with you lot.

Its REALLY hard and unforgiving but also brilliantly fun.

I think at first i was inimpressed as i was so used to Burnout as my benchmark for casual racing games with smashes.... but this is awesome fun and of course it wasn't long before i took it online.... which i would agree... is quite addictive.

There is a simple ranking system and plenty of trophies available.

And here is an odd comparison for you..... i rekon this game is alot like mario kart.... but for big boys.... and with out the power ups...

If you look at the crazy tracks and stuff you might see what i am getting at.

Oh and also... i managed to hook up with a friend online and play some games. It has a really good party system that allows the host to switch around game modes or play in ranked / unranked and keep the party intact.

Ignored the single player and took this online and I've been very impressed.

Played completely in ranked play in about 20 races and it's been a lot of fun. Got completely trashed by some mean monster trucks (I favour the buggy) and so many laugh out loud moments where you're following someone else as you don't know the track that well and you think they do. Then 5 vehicles all crash into the same rock at the same time.

Anyone thinking about getting a PS3 would be well advised to pick this up as it's a brilliant game.

• 2 months later...

I've been hammering this for a while. And it's because of this that I haven't been playing Burnout Paradise that much. I didn't like the handling at first, it seemed very heavy considering some of the vehicles you drive loook agile but once you master use of braking and hand-braking it soon makes sense. The handling and acceleration on a buggy should be much better than on a big lorry but if you suspend you disbeleif and take on board the rules the game makes and just have fun then you can't go wrong

I really like the online too, I've played it loads and I've not had one instance with lag. It should only be played using the bumper view too, much more intense that way.

• 1 month later...

Some people just don't use the mute button. I've had a few races with people having boring conversations with their mums.

When that isn't happening it is loads of fun though, it might not sound like I was having fun but trust me, I was. I don't mind that I lost some points on a few races because overall I was up from where I started.

Hopefully we shall be joined by more people as it goes on, then we don't have to deal with the kooks as much. I cannot believe you didn't win 1 race all night though, even I managed to win a few, one I managed to win without wiping out.

I never win races, everytime I play it there is always atleast one person better than me, I can't believe some races it was you. :mellow:

I think you were just unlucky. Once you get out in front it's dead easy though, as you don't have nothing trying to fucking knock you over at every turn.