passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Region free gaming without freeloader

pickled

clicky

There are things I love about the Wii, and things I hate. Wanna know what I hate? I hate its draconian region protection. My PS3 is completely region-free, my 360 is region-free for, oh, 50-70% of the games on the market, and both handhelds are 100% region-free. So being subjected to Nintendo's slow-ass international release schedule is maddening. Luckily, it looks like a mod chip-free workaround is imminent. In the wake of the Freeloader's demise, a dude by the name of Crediar has posted a vid of a Wii system menu hack that'll allow for not only region-free gaming (for both Wii and GameCube games), but region-free channels, and will even skip out those annoying health warnings. All courtesy of the homebrew channel. It's not out yet, but when it is, we'll let you kno

It seems to need a bit of poking around (and it looks like the homebrew channel has to be installed) but it may help all you freeloader-using-smash-brothers-now-ignoring monkies

Yeah :huh: I remember it saying something about creating a folder using some file off the zelda disc or something, then everything went a bit grey. I might one day make a real effort to get my head around it and write a simpler guide, but not today I dont think

• 7 months later...

Finally had another go at this today and got the Homebrew channel running. My problem last time was it'd start to install via the Twilight hack, but then fail. Turns out that was because i had a GC memory card in at the same time. It's really easy to install, seems to work alright, the downside is that the program i want, region free gamining (Starfall), hasnt been updated since version 3.2 (I'm on 3.4 and the 4.0 has just been released) so it doesnt work.

Theres a program to change your Wii's region settings, but it said something about not working with the new systems, maybe locking things to a region. This might be just the shop channel getting locked, gutted if i try it and I cant play pal games anymore

Double post the import win!

Got a program called Gecko OS, there's an unofficial version that seems to work pretty well. It's got options to force settings (e.g. PAL 60, NTSC), the disc juggler on the ps2 has the same, except that works and this one seems to crash. But if you have a tv capable of playing ntsc (so the screen doesnt go red) then you can just play them as they come and enjoy all the stuff nintendo dont want you to play.

The annoying thing is that my good tv is downstairs as the 'house' telly, and the one ive been given to replace it doesnt like ntsc :(

Still though it means I can play Smash Bros again, and maybe even buy that Capcom fighter and Nodame in the next few weeks :D

There's a new type now that just boots from a memory card, but ive never used that.

Depending on if you've got a slim or fat you'll have to get a different type of slide tool. You boot your console with a swap magic disc inserted, when that loads fully you use the slide tool to open the disc tray, then put in the game you want to play. Close the tray and use the slide tool to lock it (just slide it so it clicks) then select to boot the game/force region. Piece of piss

By the sounds of it yeah, to quote from a reasonable looking site:

System Menu 4.0 Rundown

March 25th, 2009 by marcan · 51 Comments

I’ll keep this brief.

Nintendo, as expected, half-assed the SD feature by just automating the copy to NAND. No surprise there.

The IOS16 that warez users used to pirate is no longer an option, thank goodness.

HBC survives. So does DVDX.

They fixed the bug that the HBC installer and DVDX 3.4 installer use; time to bring out another one.

Twilight Hack no longer works. I’d like to remind everyone that this exploit has been in use for over a year. Whether it comes back or a new game exploit takes its place, I think we can say it’s served us all well.

No new problems expected with BootMii, other than needing a new exploit as mentioned above.

So as i understand it, it's not that it stops it working more that it stops you adding stuff. So if you've got everything you need then cool, but if you havent then there's no way to get it on. At least till a new exploit turns up

• 3 months later...

big bump, but i've just discovered a method for installing the homebrew channel without the twilight princess jiggery, it's dead simple, plus i can now watch dvds on my wii too, let me know if anyones interested

big bump, but i've just discovered a method for installing the homebrew channel without the twilight princess jiggery, it's dead simple, plus i can now watch dvds on my wii too, let me know if anyones interested

I might be interested... ;)

gah, my dvd playing abilities were announced too soon, i'll work on it, it just got late last night and i was tired

though i have got the homebrew channel up, but i think it needs some downgrading action to sort things

i've got a link for a fairly in depth tutorial (the one i followed wasn't a full though so this is why it may not work) shall i pm it to people rather than post it here as i does say how to play "back-ups"?

i think it's based on bannerbomb jimbo indeed