passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Virtua Fighter 5

retroed

Has anyone played this yet? I tried the 360 demo and enjoyed it. I've never owned a VF game, have played a few though, and have never spent time mastering the controls.

From various impressions I've read, the online play is some of the best there is, totally lag free. And of course it looks superb, and plays ok with the pad.

Metacritic scores (360 version): 91 average.

I've just bought it on 360, managed to get a sealed PAL version for £18 delivered.

I played the demo too, I am very interested in this but with Mario Galaxy, Guitar Hero 3, Mass Affect and Assasins Creed to name a few on the way, I simply have to put it on the backburner.

Its a shame because I really enjoyed DOA4 online despite it being really hard to get a non laggy game going and if it is better than that then its fine with me.

The only thing that does put me off it is it will have quite a few people online that really know what there doing, and my guess they would be pretty relentless to someone learning the game from scratch like myself, and I'm a very bad loser.

i got this game yday, theres a deal in some game stores if u buy one 360 game u get VF5 for £20, si o splashed out.

Thing is i also have DOA4 and so many ppl havt told me tht VF5 is a lot more well balanced, strategic and used more in tournaments. i think its more of a button bash fightin game in my opinion but i am actually enjoying this game, i rly didnt think i would, well worth it for £20

• 13 years later...

PS+ title too! Fucking excellent. Final Showdown is a brilliant game so a updated version is very welcome. I don’t think the character models look as good though. The more stylised plain look suits them better IMO but it’s a small complaint. 

It looks the same as FS though, doesn't it? Looks like a very barebones resolution upgrade with a new name and probably a couple of balance adjustments. But at the end of the day it's nice to see SEGA remember the franchise at least.

I've only been good at Soul Calibur and DoA when it comes to 3D fighters so I kinda want to have a proper look at this.  I was gonna wait to renew my PS+ until Strive came out but I think I'll get it when this comes out and mess around with it.

Really bad timing for my PS4 pad to commit forced seppuku. 

I've watched some clips of this and it's a bigger step visually than I initially thought. Some characters look a bit odd at times, but most look way better. The stages are improved a lot, the UI is surprisingly modern (FS' main menu was so ugly it was borderline uninviting).

People are also positively surprised about the netcode, though IIRC FS was already pretty good in that regard.

Well, as soon as I have a Pad again I'll see if I can remember more than two moves with Aoi.

Not sounding very Ultimate anymore. Turns out there is a load of cosmetics tied behind a DLC paywall and they’ve removed modes which were in the FS version - most notably Quest mode.

Looks like I’ll be sticking to the old Xbox version. 

12 hours ago, mfnick said:

Not sounding very Ultimate anymore. Turns out there is a load of cosmetics tied behind a DLC paywall and they’ve removed modes which were in the FS version - most notably Quest mode.

It is marketed as an eSport title and the vast majority of people who play this game competitively don't bother with Quest modes etc. I'm not saying it was a good idea to leave it out but I expect that's the reasoning.

No idea what happened with the DLC stuff though, but in a similar logic people who are going to play this game competitively already have PS+ by default so SEGA would never get a penny from those guys. Though I'm pretty sure they got a couple of pennies from Sony, so who knows.

It's a double edge sword. It's cool to have it part of PS+ right now but it will be a hard sell by the time it leaves the subscription.

• 9 months later...