passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

One (console) to rule them all

Hendo

So, in slightly more general or other format news recently, serial shit-talker Denis Dyack said he thinks that the future will be a one console future.

Which backs up what the boss of EA said.

Normally I'd be inclined to disagree from a consumer's point of view (one console = no competition), but there might be something in it. The average Joe doesn't know if a PC game will run on his machine or not, and that's the closest we have to a unified machine at the moment.

Hell, most horror stories from shop employees tell of people saying, when asked if they're sure their PC will run the latest game they're buying, "Oh yes, I have XP". Hmmm.

But if the one unified machine was one spec, would it be easier? Or would it be a scary time for gaming with no competition?

Who would own the machine though? I cant see nintendo giving up their first party status any time soon, nore Microsoft, nor Sony. There's too much money to be made by being the consoles daddy for any one to agree to this.

As for whether it's a bad thing, I'm not sure. Ideally it'd mean the best titles would float to the top, but it might also mean the the franchises would completely drown out everything else

I just cant see there being one universal standard, the big 3 are focusing on different markets. I just cant see Nintendo's next console (or the one after) matching the power of either of the other 2

It would suck.

If there was one console only then there would be no PS3 fanboys to take the piss out of for having forked out for an overpriced piece of turd with a serious lack of any decent games that no one wants to programme for because of its stupid architecture.

Also.. at the end of the day these companies are making the consoles to generate money. There is no way they would bow down and let go of their products so long as they still have customers.

I think I can guess what Phooey wrote. something along the lines of how he was going to "Rip Oli a new orifice, so there were 3 places for shit to come out of" ***

He's got a ps3 Oli, and he likes it, it keeps him warm at night. And it's shaped a bit like a pillow, but hard and not something you'd really want to risk breaking by laying on it

*** Phooeys words not mine

I think Vista is making PC gaming much more easy because they now rank games on a 1-5 scale i think where your PC tells you its a 3 say and games come with this symbol but yeah its true average joe is a complete moron and will likely buy stuff they haven't a hope in hell of running on the standard settings and don't know enough to turn them down.

Personally I wouldn't like to see just 1 machine perhaps things will evolve like PCs to an extent where different companies can launch very similar hardware and you can choose who's to buy the same way virtually all 32" HD TVs are more or less the same they all do the same thing just different price points for different build quality.

It's the games that would suffer I think because everyone would be only doing 1 type of game. It would be a world where there are only 3 genres made Shooters, racers and party games and that frankly is one I wouldnt want to live in.

Besides the xenophobic issue would still remain no one in Japan would be happy with a US firm having the monopoly and no one in the US would have a Japanese machine thats so bloody hard to program for.

I think there's room for all 3 machines in the market as each one appeals to a different person, the 360 appeals to the boomfest lovers who dont like to think very much and the Wii is for daft party games and cute adventuring and the PS3 is where you're Final Fantasy crowd and the blu ray adopters will go. I guess the moral of the story is shouldnt we all just get along.

getalong.jpg

post-70-1193146888.jpg

Ben wrote:

I think I can guess what Phooey wrote.

All I typed was "Me, fanboy ? :blink:".

Centy wrote:

I think there's room for all 3 machines in the market as each one appeals to a different person. I guess the moral of the story is shouldnt we all just get along.

Exactly. I'm way too old (& frankly can't be bothered) about arguing whose willy is the biggest & best, cause we all know who'd win that contest & it certainly wouldn't be me. :laugh: :blink:

Bit harsh there Oli! But you're right, we should hope for an end to fanboys.

Off-topic, how is Major Nelson's cock doing?

:P

Centy wrote:

I guess the moral of the story is shouldnt we all just get along.

I'm right there with ya, but sadly I reckon it's impossible. If there was really only one gaming machine (and I mean absolutely only one machine) people would find a way to argue and fight. Probably over publishers, genres or willies.