passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Resident Evil 4

Hendo

I started playing this again at the weekend, did a fair bit on Sunday, got to the island and stopped. Thanks to a few tricks i'd learnt from past play throughs, I'd gone from having very little ammo after the minecart section, to a completely full inventory. I breezed through the first part of the island by being a bit cheap (Magnum to kill the chain gun guy, then the old knife+ladder+enemies tactic)

I was doing pretty well, I took a few hits, and maybe wasted some ammo here and there, but I was still looking pretty solid. Until, that is, the Regenerators showed up. I've always been a bit shit against them, my aim was never steady enough for the sniper rifle. I had to use almost all my shotgun ammo on the first couple, scarpered from another, then killed a fourth when it was about 3 inches away from me.

Same with the ironmaiden. Picked off its first few pretty well, but to get the last one I had to blow its legs off. Man that thing can move. Tbf, i probably could have been calmer, but this way it definately felt like more of a sub boss battle, as it exploded a foot away from me.

It goes to show though, that even though I've done completed the game before, it can still get your pulse going

After completing this, I was still itching to kill some spaniards, so I booted up the New game+. Maybe it's just my imagination, but a few of the cut scenes seem to be a bit different 2nd time through. When you go into the house right at the start, after you've killed the owner, the cut scene seems to have a few extras in it. Same if you then go back to the bridge and look down, you see the truck that I'm sure wasnt there before. Maybe it's the difference between the ps2/GC versions, or maybe I'm just being dense

both the truck and the car? To be fair I had been drinking. Maybe I've been working too hard :whistle:

EDIT: You're right. I've no idea why it suddenly seemed different to me. My only guess is that it's different on the demo that Famitsu gave away that time, and since then i've not been paying attention to it, but that'll probably turn out to be the same too. Bizarre

• 2 weeks later...

i must say, ive never ran out of ammo on RE4, or really felt like i was going to. ive certainly had to manage ammunition, switching weapons a lot mid battle for certain situations in order to use guns and ammo as efficiently as possible, and keeping an eye on ammo levels at all times, but ive never felt irredeemably in the red on the GC or the Wii. there seems to be plenty

been busy recently, with work, partying and other games so i still havent finished seperate ways. will get round to it eventually :P

no, everything up til there but she just gets off in her helicopter. so it explains her precise objectives (the ones wesker gives her anyway, retrieve the sample, assassinate leon s. kennedy et cetera) and her own opinion on those objectives, whilst not giving away much about her own real motives. even when shes thinking to herself, shes deliberately coy. now thats a secret agent. its interesting enough to see her convenient arrivals when playing as leon explained, and you get to see a couple of new areas, well one at least, which is a fight across a docked battleship under repairs!

• 3 weeks later...

Right, I said I'd get back when it was done and yes. How one of my favourite games was bettered just by a control scheme I don't know. But it was, awesome, awesome game and it's 'broken my Wii in', in regard to that I now 'get motion control and it's made me pick up TP again and I'm loving it. Go Wiiiiiiiiiiiiii

• 1 month later...

I finally went back to this to day, had a go of mercenaries but was rubbish at it, so I did Assignment Ada. About half way through that I was desperate to turn it off, but ploughed on through to the end.

It's not that it's bad, far from it, but I played RE4 wii knowing exactly what was coming, and I'd started a new save file with my completed save, and have just been strolling through it, decimating anyone that dares get in my way. I've only done Assignment Ada once before, so it wasn't anything like as fresh.

Once that was done I started on Seperate ways. Again it's good to not know exactly what I'm doing, but at the same time, all the ammo saving tricks i've learnt from part run throughs have really helped me. Thank you striking post men i guess

• 4 months later...

Swallow wrote:

Biohazard 4 is the next game for me to play.. Never got very far with the Cube version, truth be told, but I'm looking forward to trying out the Classic Controller with this..

:ohmy: Pointer and nunchuck are the way to go! "Knifey swipey, heady poppy"

:o :o :o

That's just crazy, Swallow. If you don't use the Wiimote and Nunchuck, you might as well just play the Cube/PS2 version for one thing, and other than that, this game is proof of how ports should be done.

For the record, I spent the first hour or so not convinced by the controls but that soon changed to where I couldn't go back to using a pad.

• 3 years later...

Out this week - shock horror, Capcom have done a rush job.

It is the most high-resolution version of Resident Evil 4. Capcom may be one of the top developers in the world, but there's no denying its love of a quick buck - and Resident Evil 4 HD has been done as cheaply and quickly as possible. It's a cynical exercise resembling nothing so much as a naked emperor: standing tall with its high-res output, with everyone too astonished to remark on its itty-bitty textures.

Resi 4 HD's visuals are the GameCube version's: textures designed to be viewed at a maximum of 480p. Nothing has been done to the game's assets bar the upscaling, and what makes it worse is that Resi 4, from start to finish, requires you to pay especial attention to your surroundings. It begins with Leon approaching an unknown village through a sparse, scrubby forest, which is dotted with bear traps to snag unwary adventurers, often hidden under patches of grass. You spot these bear traps by looking at the ground.

The blades of grass look like Lego; yesterday's autumnal leaves are an auburn mush; the grey and black pixels of the bear traps blend into such a swamp, deadlier than ever. What have your eyes done to deserve this?

But surely we're all repeat players by now. (If not, where have you been? And buy this as soon as possible.) For those of us that have played it, the question is, how much? If, like me, you've been through its various versions many times and unlocked everything again and again, you just don't need to see her like this. If you enjoyed it at release and haven't been back since, seriously consider the Wii version. It'll be cheaper to get hold of, the pointer controls are great, and if anything, it looks better with soft edges.

That's the killer: Resident Evil 4 HD doesn't look better than Resident Evil 4 SD. Who would have known, but scaling back clever fogging and lighting effects (as this has done in many places) and simply exposing old textures in 1080p doesn't look that good. It's a stark sight.

Resident Evil 4 is a brilliant game, but that's exactly why Resident Evil 4 HD is such a disappointment. This is no definitive version or director's cut (wouldn't that be something), but a criminally half-baked attempt to winkle a little extra cash from the still-beating heart of a classic. Resi 4 deserves better than this; Resi 4's legions of devoted fans deserve better than this; and Capcom should be much better than this.

On 360 it's Games On Demand so probably won't have a demo. If it doesn't, I can hold off until they put it in a sale.