passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Real or ridiculous?

Hendo

I posted this over at GTM, but seeing as only a few here post there, and it's very much suited to this place, I thought I'd copy and paste.....

So, over the weekend I got a chance to spend a good few hours playing Forza 2 and Dirt with a mate. We were both stunned by the visuals (well, Dirt anyway - Forza looks good, but nothing special) and the level of realism is indeed a site to behold, both in graphics and gameplay.

The thing is, after a while we just looked at each other and agreed, "Shall we not just fire up Excite Truck?"

I mean, obviously, there's a market out there for the Gran Turismo's, Forza's and numerous realistic rally games, but looking at the sheer size of the Forza 2 thread, and I am on my own where I prefer my racing games arcadey and simplistic?

These are the following racing games/series that I like to play:

Mario Kart

F-Zero

Burnout

Excite Truck

Ridge Racer

Out Run

What's the common theme here? Completely unrealistic racing games that make little attempt to give a 'proper' go at making you feel you really are driving.

I'm not saying one way is right and one is wrong, but for the life of me I've never been able to get into Gran Turismo, or for that fact any game where the brake is absolutely essential.

Perhaps it's because I'm not a petrol head, but I just don't find powering along at what seems a snails' pace fun.

What's the view here? Am I alone?

Now if you don't mind, I'm off to jump a hill in my ridiculously light-weight truck, while steering mid-air....

I agree with you Hendo, ive never really been into the realism side of drivng, i have always preffered arcade racers to sims.

I have 2 racing games on the 360, PGR3 and Ridge Racer 6. Normally i cant stand sims but PGR3 was great, but after the thrill of the ride in Ridge Racer 6 I cant go back. I just cant be arsed with all that realism, i wanna take a corner facing the opposite direction at 300mph. Its the cheap kicks im after.

I think those who are into cars in real life prefer the sims, i only say that cos some people I know who are bonefide petrol heads swear by GT and Forza. I dont know an exhaust from a distributor and I like driving a green dinosaur around a cake.

no ur not alone, i never really got into gran turisimo either, n i even owned the first one, i just found it too boring, nothing really ever changed in it, i always preferred unrealistic games coz different things always happens, if i wanted to do realistic things i'd do em myself.

I like both. If it's fun, it's fun. I enjoyed Forza a hell of a lot, but I don't know the first thing about cars and I've never so much as gotten behind the wheel of a real car before. However I also like games like F-Zero and that.

This is probably the most boring reply ever, but then the question could be used against all games, not just driving games. Do you prefer realistic or arcadey games? The answer for me is both, as long as they're good.

This could also apply to another racing game thing - does anyone here set the gears to manual? For as long as I can remember I've always played only with automatics where given the choice.

Hell, I can remember being a nipper playing Outrun in the arcade and having trouble with 'High' and 'Low'!

Ben wrote:

I'd rather play your Sega Rally's, and Excite Trucks than a simulation.

illdog wrote:

i wanna take a corner facing the opposite direction at 300mph. Its the cheap kicks im after.

Fucking bang on I would much rather play a game that makes me say "FUCKING HELL! im in a truck thats about 100ft in the air WOOOO!" or "man i just 360ed right round that corner" than play a game that makes me think ooh look at the reflective nature of that cars chassis :D I have played a few realistic racing games but only with the advent of the ps2 and upwards have they truely become simulations with proper physics etc they are ok but none of them are anything new Give me Sega Rally on Wii over a Forza or GT game.

Im on the fence on this one :laugh:

I also like both types of raing games, although i have been battering Forza 2 lately like my wife depended on it!

As for Hendo's other question it depends on what control style im using....

Basically i got my dad into racing games like TOCA and Gran Turismo on the PS years ago so much that he bought a steering wheel. Now, whenever im playing a racing game if im using a steering wheel i have manual transmission and the view from inside the car, but if im using a pad i have to have the view from outside and automatic gears otherwise it just doesnt feel right.

I suppose its to do with how immersive each control style is...

Shin_Seffron wrote:

I'm on the fence on this one. I also like both types of raing games...

Same here. I spent hours on Gran Turismo 1 & 2 & really enjoyed tinkering with stuff, but I've also spent days & days playing the likes of Burnout & Ridge Racer. I like mixing it up a bit - that way I never get bored of racing games. It's been ages though since I've played a good racer on the TV...months & months in fact. And all I've got is my PS2, with not a single racing game in my collection. I think I'll have to go & buy Burnout 2 again.

Shin_Seffron wrote:

As for Hendo's other question it depends on what control style im using....

Basically i got my dad into racing games like TOCA and Gran Turismo on the PS years ago so much that he bought a steering wheel. Now, whenever im playing a racing game if im using a steering wheel i have manual transmission and the view from inside the car, but if im using a pad i have to have the view from outside and automatic gears otherwise it just doesnt feel right.

I suppose its to do with how immersive each control style is...

Thats about right Shin, takes me back to proper arcade cabinets. If they had a stick i used it and it felt right. I also use the out car view when playing with a pad. Immersion is indeed the word.

I like both styles, but for different reasons.

I like sims like Gran Turismo for the whole experience of buying cars, upgrading them in a non rice-boy way, the feeling of "simulation", etc.

But I also like the sheer, simplistic fun of more arcadey racers.

Any racing game that is done right, and is fun, then, I like.

But if I had to choose between the two, I'd say I would go for the totally unrealistic, arcadey racing genre.

The only racing genre I cannot stand is NASCAR racing and other F1, champ car, and any other "sportsy" type racing where you go in circle for half an hour or more...

I know what you mean about F1 games, Noize.

I tried really hard to enjoy a couple of those on the N64 and Playstation but they just weren't fun to play.

Funny, out of all the games people have mentioned either here or on GTM, no-one has brought up Muppet Racemania. Am I the only one that played it or even liked it?

I mean, come on people - it's Muppets in Mario Kart!

That reminds me of how I got my cousins addicted to Micro Machines V4 for the PS2. They kept talking about how Need for Speed looked great and stuff like that but the moment they played Micro Machines even as 1vs1vs2cpu, they wouldnt stop playing it.

Realistic racing games are good to look at but I think that realism isnt that compatible with fun.

First of all, PGR, Need For Speed et al are ARCADE racers, they are not sims or in any way shape or form realistic.

They belong in the category (or at least very close to) as Mario Kart/F-Zero etc etc.

You then have the console sims, such as F1, GT and Forza which are as close to a sim you can get on the consoles.

Then, in the hard core world of PC's you get the proper sims such as GTR and the others from Simbin, and Geoff Crammonds Grand Prix. These make GT4/Forza look like PGR...

I find I can enjoy them all to a point, but the one that to me is the best is GT4, its a perfect mix of realism/easy to playness....

stu wrote:

First of all, PGR, Need For Speed et al are ARCADE racers, they are not sims or in any way shape or form realistic.

They belong in the category (or at least very close to) as Mario Kart/F-Zero etc etc.

Your saying PGR is like Mario Kart? Whilst i can see your point(no fine tuning the cars etc), I dont think you can class PGR anywhere near F-Zero and Mario Kart.

if you want to simplify things into three groups, then yes, PGR would most definitely live in the group as MK/F-Zero.

If not, you could probably argue the case for a 4th group.

But in no way is PGR even close to Forza/GT....

Um.

No one said anything about groups. I think you may be looking too deeply at this - it's all about if you prefer the more visceral adrenaline (or "no brake") game or where it's all about (relative) realism ("use the break or crash").

In most cases I've found people like both just fine.