passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

DS Homebrew thread

Hendo

http://www.dsdoom.com/ - works really well. good frame rate, graphics pretty much as good as they get for doom without adding complicated lighting. very faithful. only gripe is theres no music. and they havent added mouselook yet (also minor, the original doom didnt have it but its possible to do and very welcome) but its awesome in every other way. go for it. youll need the doom WAD files, but you can get the doom 1 shareware files freely all over the int0rw3b

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

TopGunKnacker wrote:

can anyone tell me how Quake DS (or DS Quake for that manner, though Quake DS seems better)is coming on, from first hand experience? it was quake ds that made me brave the temptation of using the power for piracy and buy a m3 ds simply in the first place. the thought of playing lemmings and simon the sorcerer on the thing helped too :D

Hiya peep's just a quick post as I still havne't got net access at my new pad.

DS quake is pretty good. I've had a full working version for a while now. There are few graphical glitches, but nothing to ruin the gameplay, mainly its the missle's (grenades etc) that don't look right. Its deffo worth a look, plays well on the touch screen with a good frame rate.

For all your HB needs use DSO (which has been updated to v1.31) and this fle i've uploaded it will connect you to a database full of working homebrew for the R4. It even installs it correctly for you. Just download the R4.hbdb file and run it from DSO's file browser. Alternatively goto HB database It even has DS quake, but its the Demo Pak's, just replace the pak's with the full version off your retail disk. Just about everything you need is on the DB its worth a look.

Hopefully I'll be online more now (as Im piggy backing next door's wifi AP atm haha) I've got loads and loads of decent homebrew for you lot to try.

Sorry for the double post when I tried uploading the file it didn't like the extension, and when I tried to edit it didn't give me the option to upload the file.

So im trying again.

If the file/upload doesn't work you can just make a txt file with this address inside http://www.un00b.net/hbdb/

but make sure u rename the .txt with .hbdb

Again soz for double posting. Hope this help you on your quest for decent homebrew [file name=r4.zip size=138]http://ds-wiifi.co.uk/components/com_joomlaboard/uploaded/files/r4.zip[/file]

files/r4.zip

taken from www.gbatemp.net

Next R4 Kernel coming soon!

Great news for R4 owners

As you may remember, I have the chance to be in contact with members of the R4 team and I regularly ask them about R4 kernel updates. Well, today's a lucky day: they've finally accepted to disclose information regarding the next update! So here is what I've gathered:

SDHC Support: I never thought this would be possible, but the exact words they used ("It Will support SDHC Card") leaves no room for doubt! SDHC, which stands for Secure Digital High Capacity, supports microSD cards capacities up to 32 Gigabytes!

Wii Connectivity: it appears the next kernel will have fixed Wii connectivity. This feature is notably used in the Pokémon Diamond/Pearl games.

Game fixes: although they haven't explicitely suggested it, I do believe and hope that the next firmware will fix compatibility for important games such as Worms Open Warfare 2 and others, that require the ARM7 Fix to work.

Release date: they told me they hoped the new firmware would be ready before the end of the week, but they weren't too sure about that so I wouldn't be expecting it anytime soon.

As always, I recommend that you don't get your hopes up as this is only a provisional list of features (I'm particularly doubtful about SDHC support, but we'll see) but at least we now have a clue about the next update! I'll keep you informed as soon as I receive more information.

w00t, SDHC card support. Maybe...

32GB is far too much space you'd never use it all unless you like watching poor quality films on it :D.

Does mean however the dream of really carrying around your entire collection is possible i reckon 8gb would do me fine.

sambob wrote:

Whats the benefit of having wii connectivity, are we talking homebrew that might work on the Wii via DS, anything up to 32gig?

The Wii connectivity is a fix because Pokemon DP didn't work. It wouldn't connect for some reason to any version of Battle Stadium (or whatever its called)on Wii. I still wanna know is a US pokemon D, will it connect to a PAL Wii pokemon?

32gb is massive, I can't see the need (apart from general file transfere) plus they cost way too much (well too much for me anyway) I think i'd only ever need 4-8gb I'm pretty happy with my 2gb atm, but I have been thinking of getting another they're only £12.50 at Play.com

sambob wrote:

Cheers Matt, although im sure with this new demo downloads from nintendo via the Wii im sure people will develop new things that could exploit this functionaliteh

np's . I'm hoping they do ;) It could lead to some very interesting homebrews, one player using wiimote while one's on the DS?!?

More to the point I hope Nintendo and other developers use this function a lot, for normal Wii games and Demo's maybe even a wireless notpad for messaging or the Opera browser. I hope it doesn't go the way of GBA link, I thhink I only used it for the Zelda games and SplinterCell.

• 1 month later...
PuzzleManiak

It's a homebrew puzzle complication featuring:

Tents, Dominosa, Mines, Bridges, Light Up (aka Akari), Pattern (aka Picross), Net (aka Netwalk), Untangle (aka Planarity), Sudoku (aka Solo), Galaxies, Slitherlink (aka Loopy), Blackbox, Mastermind (aka Guess), Map, Filling, Solitaire (aka Pegs), Sixteen, Fifteen, Slant, Rectangles, Netslide, Samegame, Unequal, Flip, Inertia, Twiddle and Pyramid (adaptation of Cube).

It also supports online ranking and a downloadable daily challenge, and lets you play your own mp3 soundtrack.

http://www.puzzlemaniak.com/blog/

• 2 weeks later...

If you didn't know already the new R4 Kernal is out

http://www.r4ds.com/soft/18-en.htm

I stopped posting homebrew updates as i didn't think anyone was that bothered.

but....

This is one wicked Music homebrew

http://www.r4ds-forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=276

Watch the you-tube vid (of the old build) you'll get the idea!

I'm working with the dev to add more functions and sample packs :)

Its loads of fun, the new build (071111) Its a great improvement, the live stream from the mic is funny !

Let me know what you think please.

moggymatt wrote:

If you didn't know already the new R4 Kernal is out

http://www.r4ds.com/soft/18-en.htm

I stopped posting homebrew updates as i didn't think anyone was that bothered.

but....

This is one wicked Music homebrew

http://www.r4ds-forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=276

Watch the you-tube vid (of the old build) you'll get the idea!

I'm working with the dev to add more functions and sample packs :)

Its loads of fun, the new build (071111) Its a great improvement, the live stream from the mic is funny !

Let me know what you think please.

Woah, thats sick man!

Can anyone tell me what patcher to use for the R4?

And that you tube vid is an old one :)

need to get a new again made, the sound quailty has improve a lot. plus a quick GUI update.

Gorgill the coder is a top bloke! He's got lots of stuff he still wants to add, the midi functions will hopefully get even better. oh if any of you are familiar with the Reason prgram (music/synth/sequencer and more) You can make a quick loop and drop it straight in :)

If you should be running R4 kernal v1.11 or 1.12 which has AUTO-DLDI patching :)

So there's pretty much nothing you need patch :)

Always read the readme about installation as something certain files/folders have to be in the Root directory.

mynameis wrote:

played with it last night for a bit. Too bad it doesnt play mp3

I played with mine last night, it didnt play Mp3s either, although to be honest if it did start playing mps3 whilst I was playing with it then id be pretty scared. Although speak to illdog about that, I heard something similar happened to him when he was playing with it:dry:

This is how the story goes (for those that are bothered anyway)

Its only a pre-beta kinda of release. Basically its the 2nd pre-release, not counting the R4 fixed one, it had some weird nasty crackle.

Tbh Gorgill never wanted to release the first version yet. He posted that you-tube vid and the whole 'homebrew' scene was...

WTF Gimme Now!! MUST HAVE! TiZ LEET etc! Ya know how it is :dry:

So the first release he was kinda of badgered into posting to shut people up (poor soul) I'd of just ignored them. The first release didn't have file browsing and the effect weren't syncing properly, and he said the sample size limit was cap at around 1mb (due to loadind into the DS's RAM)

This wasn't quite true. I managed to push it quite a bit, by mistake at first. The first sample I made in reason was 1.6mb I tried it and it worked fine :)

I ended getting in contacted with gorgill and speak to him every now and then, he poke's me with ideas/suggestions. Then didn't hear anything from him for a while.

Then outta the blue I get a email just saying "check this :) "

He'd emailed the new build (current) I went to all the normal places IRC too, no-one seen to know anything his site wasn't updated or anything?!?!

Was I about the only one who had this new homebrew :woohoo:

In a silly way I kinda felt honored, usually gbatemp/ds-scene are all over the release and know about stuff before everyone else :)

Now I'm in better contact with him and we chat from time to time about things that can be added or made better, where he think/wants the homebrew to go. He's got some great ideas, and possibly the coding talent to carry it off too ;) (lol hero worship, nahh its just good homebrew for a change:whistle:)

@mynameis/sambob. Yeah mp3 could well come into the mix, but it brings a whole host of problems with it. Mp3's may be easier because we've all got them at hand, but mp3's are by far a lesser quality sound file than a wav. Do you release the average mp3 encoded at 128 to 192 (depending on the source) you actually only hear between 20%-50% of the true frequencies, due to masking and data-compression. I know its kinda being picky but I'm sure you understand? Mp3 can be converted to .wav easily and without any loss of perceived quality

I think it 'might' get added, there's a list of great things, like small sequencer more midi controlling stuff to control external sound-boxes/synths its already works with digital decks :) also works well a Dj software called Vjing or something I don't use it)

Its also possible to add 3in1/extra RAM pack support for more function. I really do think this homebrew as a future as a damn nice bit of programming. tbh most of the homebrew scene is a bit meh, I've not gotten excited over anything apart from when some of us first went sailing ;)

I'd love any feedback good or bad. I kinda trust u guys, your opinions are mostly sound and safe, and generally on the money :)

Again sorry for the wall of txt (spektor anyone?)

I'm trying to get as much info posted, before I get kicked off again :(

Cheer's !