passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Final Fantasy III

moggymatt

This is one beautiful game, from the intro/cut scenes to the in-game graphics its all good!

Im only a couple of hr's into it, and Im loving being back in the FF universe, as I haven't played a FF game "Fully" since FF7 (did half of 8, my 9 got nicked!)

Any tips on job's, buying items/weapons etc would be nice. i.e best places etc or places to find them instead of wasting much needed gil!

BUT NO SPOILERS PLEASE!!!!!!

PM me if needed, as we don't wanna ruin it for anyone else

My Friend Code is : 3265 0473 9122

I'll write more of a review as i plough thru it!! (minus Spoilers)

James wrote:

How many of us are playing this game?

The whole intro video is worth the price alone, the best looking DS game ever!

Yep. I agree with you on this.

Only frustating thing : The absence of save points towards the end, so if you got beaten by the last boss, it's 2 hours of gameplay you have to play through all over again. I haven't touched the game since 2 weeks now because I was so frustrated to find I'll have to play back 2 hours of gametime to get to the last boss again... to MAYBE win the fight, otherwise I'll have to replay those 2 hours again... and again... and again... until I beat it.

So while in fact the game is supposed to last around 20-30 hours, make it 40-50 because of all the gameplay you'll end up redoing again because there is too few savepoints in the last section of the game.

That is the only gripe I have with this game.

Noize wrote:

Only frustating thing : The absence of save points towards the end, so if you got beaten by the last boss, it's 2 hours of gameplay you have to play through all over again. I haven't touched the game since 2 weeks now because I was so frustrated to find I'll have to play back 2 hours of gametime to get to the last boss again... to MAYBE win the fight, otherwise I'll have to replay those 2 hours again... and again... and again... until I beat it.

Dude, you made me not want to play it. I cant tolerate shit like that.

however as a portable device i think that all games should have easy save points... or at least suspension points like castlevania...where at any time you can go to the menu, suspend your game, .. turn off... next time you load you can start from where you left off... but if you suspend then die, you go back to the last PROPPER suspend point, so it cant be used for cheating.

Somehow what i just said is now irrelevant as it wouldnt help with the dying business...

Oliath wrote:

however as a portable device i think that all games should have easy save points... or at least suspension points like castlevania...where at any time you can go to the menu, suspend your game, .. turn off... next time you load you can start from where you left off... but if you suspend then die, you go back to the last PROPPER suspend point, so it cant be used for cheating.

Somehow what i just said is now irrelevant as it wouldnt help with the dying business...

FF3 is exactly like that. You can "suspend" your game anywhere, but it is only that. It is not a "savepoint". If you die, you can't start where you last suspended the game, you start from the last proper savepoint. And there isn't one in sight for the last 1 to 2 hour of gameplay. And this makes things VERY frustrating.

I would still recommend the game to any RPG gamer, but I would recommend you do a LOT of leveling before going in for the final fight, as contrary to most previous fights in the game, this one is the first one you'll probably need to fight a couple of times to get how to beat it. (So if you do not want to replay the same last hours over and over again, like I did, I recommend you to level up A LOT, and go see a FAQ on the net before engaging the final boss).

This sucks, but I still think of this game as one of the best RPG on the DS for the moment.

• 4 weeks later...

Got this through the post yersterday, and i love it! Only like 2 hours into it tho... should be 3 but i got carried away exploring, died, realised i hadnt saved at all and had to start the game from the beginning!! whoops! :laugh:

Ahh, if you didnt laugh you'd cry...

Reckon im gonna have to take my DS to work and play on me lunch hour...

I really HATE not having save points that you can sae where you need to. I dont care if people say it adds to the difficulty of the game, sometimes power can cut off or you can die in an unexpected place and I rarely go back to playing the game once ive lost a shit load of progress. This is why i got rid of final fantasy 4 advance because i lost loads of progress (partially my fault for doing temp saves rather than full ones). Nothing else frustrates me more in games.

as far as first impressions go this is the first game to really 'wow' me on the DS. It looks very proffesional, and I love the controls with the touch screen.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive started this now. As endearing as the lovely graphics seem and however lovely the soundtrack is, Im not really enjoying it. Ill grant you that im only 40 minutes in but i already have beef.

Ive done the first little dungeon, beat the turtle, aresed around in the fisrt couple of villages but the random battles are so fucking frequent its already doing my head in. Especially as you can beat the goblin dudes with one hit and you get one whole experience point for your effort. So then, with Arc in toe, i go out into the field further, all armoured up and both with lovely longswords and get fucking slaughtered by two beserkers.

So what am I supposed to do? Fuck around with these goblins for 12 hours till im strong enough to carry on, one experience point at a time or is it just a gamble as to wether you beat these stronger enemies and gain a few more exp? If its the former i cant be fucking bothered. I was pissed off enough to loose ten minutes battleing, fuck loosing two hours at the end of the game.

Again, i know im only 40 mins in, and i may load it up later and do something great and piss all over everything, but this thread is called first impressions and sue me if u dont like it.

illdog wrote:

sue me if u dont like it.

Dude you have to get better chat up lines.

I have the same feeling with FF games and i wish there was some middle ground where you can beat challenging enemies and get a reasonable experience amount back from it.

Edit* I loved FF8 for this reason, because you could stock up on sleep spells from easy enemies and then use to them to absolutely cream a T-rex, even at a relatively low level and then you could advance faster by being a bit canny. Im sure there will be a similar thing here though.