passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Castlevania : Dawn Of Sorrow

Hendo

This'll confuse you, having two DS Castlevania impressions!

I bought this ages ago with 3 other games in the same day and not surprisingly I've not played any of those games fully (well, actually Super Princess Peach was nearly complete). I tried to get into this at the time and failed.

Having a platformer that wants to be a RPG, I just found it confusing and couldn't see what all the fuss is about.

So after a few months away, I fired it back up last night after I couldn't get to sleep, wiped the data and started again.

I have to say, I started enjoying it, and started getting used to how it works, but at the moment I still fail to see the hooha over it. It's good, but maybe I'm missing something. Maybe I need to play more (older) Castlevania games? I'm sure I remember playing some years ago and they were just normal platform games?

Anyway, I'm more into it, and the music is great!

:)

Well its as with all things mate, not for everybody. Its very much the exploration side of it that floats my boat, the challenge to collect all of the items, finding a new weapon and armour, levelling up your character - makes a fantastic game that appeals to my gaming needs.

I think its the blend of genres which i enjoy... pretty much the same reason i loved resi4.

I also think that it does what the ds does best. Graphically its nice to look at... and although simple on the surface its has a nice deptch.

The animations are really good... esp the death animations... i find plowing zombies down hugely satisfying... esp if you take out their torso first and watch the legs collapse.

Each of the bosses is a real challenge... and i like the fact that if you cant take them out you can go back, level up, get more weapons etc etc then kick their ass.

And the exploration is a huge part of it. Ill admit that i had to consult an online guide at one point due to overlooking a path to a new area and being stuck for a few days... but this game has seriously gripped me.

Like Illdog says though... its not for everyone... (but is deffinately for me)

I am starting to get into it more, it just really confused me having a platformer that isn't a platformer (if that makes sense).

Yeah, I love the little touches like when you jump on a snow covered van, and it sways from side to side depending on which side you jump on, and the snow falls off.

Hendo wrote:

I am I love the little touches like when you jump on a snow covered van, and it sways from side to side depending on which side you jump on, and the snow falls off.

Its the little touches that make it so good! The music isn't half bad either! Try the SNES version I enjoyed that, the only gripe I've got with DoS is there's no flail at the start!

I didnt fully complete this, so once I'd completed POR I went back to it, and sadly just didnt enjoy it. I think it's the whole metroid thing of leaving it for so long i've forgotton what i was doing so im just aimlessly wandering around. I'll have to give it a proper go again soon

• 2 weeks later...

Then go level up!!

Thats the best frikking thing about it... you can go off, buy more potions, get better weapons etc and then go back and kick his ass!!

I found metroid too confusing to bother with for too long... i think that style of gameplay works WAY better as a platformer where you can clearly see a map of what areas you might need to re-visit.

I got VEEEEERY bored in metroid of just wondering around hoping to stumble upon something.

• 7 months later...

After saying I would for ages, I've picked this back up and am getting back into it.

Problem is, I don't know where I'm meant to be going or how to use some of the stuff I've picked up.

Like, there's a couple of dead ends with metal blocks that look like I can blow them up but even though I've picked up stuff that said "chuck an explosive" I can't find them in my inventory.

There's also one bit where you stand on a moving platformnear the ceiling but you get bunged off near the end of the room and I can't see what you have to do.

Sorry I can't be more specific than that, but I am sooo tired.

Ah that would explain it.

I've since done the bit with the moving platform - I somehow found a new area, fought a boss (I think) and picked up the ability to touch bits of the screen to make them disappear. They look kinda like snow fluffy clouds.

I've levelled up a bit more and I think I'm about level 12 or 13 now and I'm in a garden. This game is huge!

I'm getting into it more but the problem is if you do a lot after you last saved and then die, I just can't be arsed going through it all again straight away so I leave it awhile.

I can now see what the fuss is all about.

Since I finished Phoenix Wright 2 this has been firmly wedged in my DS and it's showing no signs of getting removed anytime soon.

I'm now level 26 or something and I've been patrolling the castle like a bastard.

I do have to say though, I'm still playing it more or less like a normal platformer and largely ignoring (or not understanding) all the stats and souls and shit.

I'm sticking with my large axe, my 'hover' ability and my bomb ability. I've fused a couple of weapons but no idea what I'm doing but as the game and story seems to be progressing I don't think it seems to matter.

I can see what alistair means - I pick it up for a quick play and soon enough I've clocked up another hour's worth of play.

Currently I'm stuck on a boss that's like a puppet master. I know how to kill him but it's taking some practice to take him down.

Nice one teh Hendo, this game rewards play.

Desperately looking for a save point is a Castlevania trait, especially when you find a rare item and you are shitting it about dying and loosing it. Thing is, do I go left or right? Lucky left.....bah, Boss Battle!

*DS out window*

lol yeah, i know that feeling ill. im always like 'well if theres a saveroom attached to this room, it wont be up or down, as you can only enter saveroomes from the left and right' so ill choose a direction and go, say, right and end up fighting some huge demon. now im really on my arse. but ive comitted myself, with no map or anything logic dictates i go right again, then its just *right* *right* *dead*

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

then you remember you had some kind of potion

Heres a little hint, I'm guessing you've used the puppet master move to get through a gap in a wall. Well, there is an area where there are spikes all over the floor, bar a small platform that you cant reach by jumping (I think all this is right). You need to combine the puppet master power with the ape skeleton throwing power, then it should reach. :)

Can't remember that bit, I might have to go back and have a look for that.

I'm as stuck as a bastard on this boss. He's the one right after the puppet master, he stomps around a bit and after a bit of a pumelling he causes the whole tower to collapse and then the fight continues at the bottom, only even harder.

Any tips? :(

EDIT

Done it now, kinda cheated - went back to the shop and bought a feck load of health and went back and kicked his ass. I also used a fire cloak on the 'R' shoulder button, that did the trick.

old foreskin face? yeah he was a bitch when i faced him too, although i think i couldve fought another easier boss first. i cant remember what attacks i used on him, but i know i button mashed and ran up to his foot where you could escape that big spew attack. it took me a couple of go's, he had me on the ropes in the second part of the fight everytime, so i gues i just got lucky or changed weapon or something

Thats another thing I love about Castlevania, the bosses reqiure some real old school tactics, meaning sometimes you have to die 50 times just to learn the pattern. Once its done (and the DS is a mess of sweaty fingerprints) it feels good baby.

All this and Portrait of Ruin still to go! Lucky bastard...