passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Final Fantasy VI

Metroid66

I would recommend not using that Esper on ..any boss fight, going forward. It has a multi-elemental attack. I'm pretty sure it is intentional that most bosses from that point on are healed by at least one of those elements.

As for the optional character

Spoiler

Only remotely useful in the colosseum. With appropriate accessories equipped. If you haven't tackled that yet. The gimmick is a bit strange. But you need to do it to recover a specific party member.

I'm actually barely using the Espers as summons because I'm switching them around so much that it's difficult keeping tabs on who has which one at any given time. Usually just summon them once after unlocking them to see the animation and then forget about the feature again.

1 hour ago, Maryokutai said:

I'm actually barely using the Espers as summons because I'm switching them around so much that it's difficult keeping tabs on who has which one at any given time. Usually just summon them once after unlocking them to see the animation and then forget about the feature again.

True. I think it doesn't help that they throw so many at you. I found I kept track of the Espers that cast Regen/Healing/Reflect on the party. But the ones that are only offensive attacks. I only kept to learn their spells. There were some I didn't bother looking at too. Because the animation for Espers on the field, isn't exactly exciting. That being those unique to this game. Some I couldn't even tell what I was looking at?

I’m still well behind but I’ve done Sabins scenario and met Cyan. Surprisingly dark! I’m impressed. Couple of moments which made me laugh too. Didn’t realise the train was this early on either. Of course I suplexed that motherfucker. No trophy for it though :( missed opportunity there. Found it surprisingly difficult too, kept putting status effects on my party where I could barely do anything. Managed it though. 

Got the choice of the other 2 scenarios before I turned it off. 

3 minutes ago, mfnick said:

Surpassingly dark!

When I've said in the past that Kefka is one of Final Fantasy's best villains. Now some who haven't played this before are starting to see why. He does a lot in this game.

3 minutes ago, mfnick said:

Yea it’s so much more interesting because of that. 

For all the praise that Sephiroth gets. You'll see by the Second Half of this game. Why he is small fry in the pantheon of FF villains. Technically Kuja (FF9) also does more to his world than Sephiroth, too. But that's where the popularity of 7 carries a lot of those characters.

I actually don't find Kefka that interesting. His actions result in some particularly dramatic pieces and I was equally taken aback by the scene in which

Spoiler

Cyan finds his dead wife and son. That little bunch of pixels sliding down the bed while the music fades away was heart-wrenching.

But the Kefka character himself, eh, not a fan. I can see why he was appealing back in the day because we only had standard evil dudes at the time and then this Joker-esque villain comes along to mix things up. A breath of fresh air for sure. But it's an archetype I just find not compelling at all, there's no depth to it, it's just a mad dude in a colourful costume.

Final Fantasy's best villains are imo Emet Selch in FFXIV and Ardyn in FFXV. They're basically the same villain tbh, but it's an archetype I'm into. Villains where the evil is like 'yeah ok, we get it, still got to stop you doing that evil shit though'.

I also agree that Kefka is lacking in these great villain moments. He's kinda boring, up until you actually fight him, which is a top tier FF moment but that is hard carried by Amano and Uematsu (art and music). Nothing on the level tho of Emet Selch revealing his name to you, or you learning his backstory. Apparently Ardyn's DLC is really really good but man, the thought of playing XV again, I dunno

30 minutes ago, Maryokutai said:

But it's an archetype I just find not compelling at all, there's no depth to it, it's just a mad dude in a colourful costume.

I think that is where a DS style remake would work best for 6. FF4 remake fleshed out Golbez so much more than the original game. Just the simple switch from sprite to voiced 3D model does a lot to convey the character. Every time you see Kefka is only during a set piece. The Second Half of the game, he's absent (much like Sephiroth, to be honest). The character needed a bit more interaction. So he isn't just known for: The laugh, those (iconic) set pieces and Dancing Mad.

55 minutes ago, Metroid66 said:

I feel silly asking, but am I required to just go around the world looking for all my characters now? 

Three are required:

Celes

Edgar

Setzer

The other eleven are optional. You can go straight to the final dungeon with those three alone. I would not recommend it.

I'm also really enjoying this part of the game, despite its openness it feels more streamlined than the beginning, which I think is a better fit for the game. 

I'm really struggling with developing certain characters though, feels like I'm at a point where I'm just building a clone army of spellcasters but they're all playing second fiddle to Terra and Celes. And then there's Setzer, who makes conceptually no sense because he seems a very powerful physical attacker without any physical skills except for his normal attack. I think if this game had been made today, half of the cast would have been relegated to NPC status. But I also find the commitment to 'just going for it' quite charming, even if it ultimately doesn't benefit the gameplay aspect.

As I read somewhere once: Setzer crawled so Cait Sith could run. Playing this retroactively, he more than most is a visible prototype for later characters. 

12 hours ago, Maryokutai said:

feels like I'm at a point where I'm just building a clone army of spellcasters but they're all playing second fiddle to Terra and Celes.

I think that is by design. Barring two exceptions, most characters have 1-7 unique moves of their own. These don't really develop through any weapon, accessory or piece of armour you can find. The only part you can adjust is spells. As I said, I started with Cura for all characters. At best, depleting all the MP of Sabin, for example. Healing the party between battles. Saves the MP of Terra/Celes for the fight itself. 

Oh and I will share some advice about Blue Magic and how that character acquires it. They have to physically see it. If they have Darkness, sleep (or confusion, I think?) cast on them when the enemy attacks. They won't learn it. Also there are some Blue Magic spells you need another character to compel the enemy to use.

Which, again: THE GAME NEVER TELLS YOU THIS😄

Also the first area you find Celes at the beginning of the second half. There is an enemy there that teaches one of the main Blue Magic spells. But you may have noticed some of the initial enemies die immediately. They have the "Sap" status. You have to use a Remedy to cure that before they die (via preemptive strike). Then compel them to use it.

Then there's Gau. The only one of his Rage arts you really need is Behemoth. When you use it, you'll know why. The whole Veldt-learning mechanic is something I wish they adapted in the future, to be honest.

4 hours ago, OCH said:

They have the "Sap" status. You have to use a Remedy to cure that before they die (via preemptive strike). Then compel them to use it.

That sort of nonsense is why I'll never have these older games in my favourites list. I mean, how are you supposed to know that?

Guide book, I suppose. 

I'm glad gamers got wise to that scam.

I mean Sap is a status condition in older FF's . A Remedy is the cure for it. However, Sap isn't in this game. Aside from afflicting the enemies on Celes' island. So you would only know what to do if you were going into the sixth game in the series, with acquired knowledge from the previous five. Older RPG's did not hold your hand in any way.

I have to admit I'm completely stuck at the mo. I'm talking to every available NPC but I'm just not getting any clues on how to proceed. 

I'm not willing to use a guide to progress so I'll do another run around the surface area currently available to me and see if I've missed something. There's a hint of Cyan being in Maranda, but fuck knows where that is. 

Hey, this is old school rpg-ing and I'm not blaming the game.