passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Repairing JoyCons

Nigel Tufnell

So a while back i bought 10 joysticks from aliexpress to replace various joycons that were plagued with drift, the brother in law has been swapping them out for us, when we can get a hold of him(which is seldom), so i decided to give it a crack myself, managed to swap out sticks on 2 left Joycons without issue, but when it came to a right one that was more fiddly , i managed to rip off the R button from the board which now would require micro soldering(no chance for me), i've ordered a replacement board from Aliexpress.

Any success stories with repairing JoyCons? 

Yeah, I replaced the sticks a couple of times and it's an easy enough thing to do.  But the problem is just the kind of sticks they use and you're just stuck in the process of replacing them every 6 months to a year.  I stopped bothering and use third party controller dock thing with proper analogue sticks.

mine need repairing with that conductive foam or something for connection issues? but i barely use them so been pretty lazy about sorting it. think i'd prefer to do it myself in case nintendo send me some replacements in bad condition or something.

I feel like third party hall effect sticks are the way to go at this point. All the big three seem to be using the same type of technology now, Nintendo getting hit worst with the drift issues. Maybe it's cause the sticks are smaller or something

It's weird how we moved from console hardware issues (red ring, ylod) to these perpetually busted controllers