passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Super Mario Bros. Wonder

spatular

Seems pretty good.

initially was a bit disapointed as its more like a traditional mario game than i was expecting, thats on me as i only watched the first trailer and thought it was going to be even more crazy. Anyway, it is a somewhat crazy and pretty cool! Been really enjoying it.

i want some flowers like that in real life that give me some encouragement and stuff.

the crazy bits are a bit hit and miss, well hit and less of a hit as some are a lot of fun and others are less so, wouldnt say anything has been bad so far.

the levels are rated for difficulty, the hardest one ive done was 5 stars, dont know if it goes higher, but that level was really hard but i enjoyed it too.

i dont like the old style lives system, although to be fair running out of lives wasnt as annoying as i was expecting.

the graphics are nice.

So far its probably up there with my favourite 2d mario game - the wii u one - was sort of hoping a bigger 2d mario fan would start the thread but here we are!

seen a few people got it in the pics thread, how you guys getting on with it?

Oh yeah i forgot to mention the badges. The badges are cool, they give you special powers (can only use one at a time), ranging from small things like a mushroom at the start of every stage, or a higher jump, to a sort of 

Spoiler

Hook shot

I like that you could try these to help make a stage a bit easier rather than going straight for one of the invincible characters.

also saw the credits last night but theres still quite a few levels i havent done, especially the ones in the 

Spoiler

Special world

Think ive done everything im going to do now, done all the levels i can and got all the seeds. Think there might be a few levels hidden behind stuff i cant be bothered with like 

Spoiler

Collecting all the “10” purple coins and getting the top of all the flags

one badge is still locked too.

yeah it was good fun.

Today is the first day I've been able to put some proper time into it since Friday. I've just finished World 1 with what I believe to be 100% (all coins, seeds, flagpoles and exits), and this is God tier stuff. If it keeps up the quality throughout the rest of the game, this will be the best 2D Mario since the 16 bit days.

The presentation, the feel, music and SFX, and everything in between is just stellar. Loving it.

I've just watched some of this, I'll try and play it some day.  But just watching, I'm wondering if those Japanese studios Sony closed down ended up at Nintendo, because I'm really getting that Sony 2005 - 2010 (Locoroco, especially) kind of design mixed in with classic Mario.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve just done the first world on this now. It’s fun. Already infinitely better than the “New” series. It seems to be doing the same thing Nintendo always do lately though whereby the levels are overly easy & they just put the challenge in getting 100% in them. I just don’t like this kind of design.

I’ve got to say I hate the sound. I’ve had to turn off the sound and just listen to podcasts in the background. I fucking detest how Mario says Wowie Zowie every time he gets a power up. I hate the jump and butt stomp sound effects. The vocalisation that happens during some of the music really winds me up too. 

I’m being overly negative here but regardless of all this I am having fun with it. Visually I think it’s fantastic too. It looks incredible and the animations are top notch. 

• 2 weeks later...

Complete the base game today. Yea it was fun but I do not get the hype at all. Still, I think I’m going to attempt to 100% it (World 1 done already) as that’s when I really fell in love with Mario World so maybe the same will happen here. Although I was a lot hotter on that after normal completion so maybe not. Or maybe I’m just not as into 2D platformers anymore. 

Just nothing really stood out as being particularly brilliant. I still think the overly easy difficulty actually hurts it too. The parts I enjoyed most were always during the 5 star levels in the final section and extra world. & these still aren’t actually that challenging. Even getting the 3 Purple coins haven’t been difficult so far. Hardest ones have been when they’re hidden in stupid places off screen - some even in random pits which would normally kill you… 

100% done (apart from Standees but fuck grinding purple coins for those) 

The last level it unlocks is a proper banger! Cool use of the badges too. Shame there’s not more like that in normal levels where it automatically gives you a badge to use in certain sections.

Going back to the lack of challenge again, it would have been great if there was more of a spread and ramp up of difficult levels. Instead it’s 100 easy levels and 1 brilliant final which is genuinely challenging which feels awesome to nail just kind of comes out of nowhere. There’s just no build up to it. The most lives I lost in any other level was around 5. This one I lost about 30. Surely there’s room to build levels in between that? 

Reminds me of Odyssey which I also thought was only “good” where the final secret level brings everything together really well and is leagues above everything else in the game. Just wish they’d spread that design across the experience rather than being a secret at the very end. 

So after 100%ing it, 7/10 still. Good but could be so much better. 

• 1 month later...

I’ve just finished the main campaign, and i really enjoyed this. Each level was more creative than the last. The characters going “Wowie Zowie” literally every time you get a power up is a bit annoying, true. Those flowers are a bit of a pain with the crap they come out with. But, for the vast majority of the game, I had a great time playing this.  

I haven’t 100%ed it, and with everything I’ve got to play still, I doubt I will anytime soon. But yeah, I thought this was great.