passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Immortals of Aveum

radiofloyd

23 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Basically it just does not sound like a game with the right technical priorities, an action FPS which runs and looks like shit when you need things to be clear and responsive

Isn't the problem that it actually does not run like shit but makes compromises basically everywhere else dynamically to make sure of that?

I don't disagree with the overall assessment, but this was a studio trying to prove themselves, missing the mark, and too many people drawing the wrong conclusions. But if nothing else I hope it makes people a bit more susceptible to the idea that you can't have all the shiny stuff all at once.

7 minutes ago, Maryokutai said:

Isn't the problem that it actually does not run like shit but makes compromises basically everywhere else dynamically to make sure of that?

I don't disagree with the overall assessment, but this was a studio trying to prove themselves, missing the mark, and too many people making the wrong conclusions. But if nothing else I hope it makes people a bit more prone to the idea that you can't have all the shiny stuff all at once.

Yeah, fair, it runs at 60. But even at that I think performance shouldn't just be about raw framerate anyway and also include frametimes and how much image detail is resolved while in motion

That last one wasn't really a concern last gen, but definitely is now with how FSR is used to upscale. It's not a very good technology IMO, I hated it in FFXVI's performance mode. I played that game as I play a DMC game and everything was very murky and had lots of 'fizzling' and softness, as in the DF video for this game (less extreme than that admittedly). It obscures a lot of things that you need to see, which is horrible for a visually complicated game

Which is why I'd like to think that 40fps mode for Spiderman is the way forward. But it's also exclusive to people who have a shiny TV set. No perfect solution

I might not entirely understand the whole concept of image reconstruction, but from what I gathered by listening to DF here and there it seems that the current technologies are more of a stepping stone and the newer stuff, including some demos they saw at Gamescom, actually seems to be pretty potent. Or at least good enough that it doesn't feel like a downgrade to the average observer. I can't really add any personal anecdotes to that whole thing though, as I don't think I've played a game that uses FSR yet.

• 6 months later...

This game is getting AMD frame generation on console in a few weeks

https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundry-2024-immortals-of-aveum-set-to-receive-hdr-and-fsr-3-console-frame-generation

I think @one-armed dwarf said that 60fps is not a good target for frame gen or something, so maybe this won’t fix the image quality issues around some console games lately. But still could be a really good first step to at least getting more higher frame rates on the 4k30 modes

Maybe keep image quality on the 4k30 modes and let the performance loose with frame gen? Just an idea, I’m not trying to say that will work

I only tried AMD frame gen once for Avatar on PC but it seemed really good. The game ran super high performance and there was no noticeable drawback to the image quality as far as I could tell

Hopefully this gets into more console games and can help some of the technical limits some games have hit. 

And we finally be done with FSR2 good lordy that shit is awful