passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

DokeV

Maf

One of the best looking games of Gamescom to me. Really like what they’re going for with this. Whimsical, good natured, fun kids game with plenty of cool looking traversal options from roller skates, umbrella gliding and rope swinging around a city. According to that tweet not an MMO either. Bonus.

People play MMOs for lots of reasons, not just grinding hard raids and chasing rare weapons. There's a big social element to them as well, that might sound like stating something dreadfully obvious but there's people I know who play games like that and treat them as an extension to their actual life, and I get a very social vibe off that trailer. So it could be targeting a weird niche in the market for things like that. Like there seems to be no point to any of the stuff in that video, just lots of cool looking things happening in a space with other avatars. Basically Limsa Lominsa but with PS5 instead of PS3 graphics

The developer is Pearl Abyss, and they do actually make MMOs. Black Desert Online is by them, I would guess this would be not entirely unlike an MMO just without the commitment and grinding elements

I’ve never played a true MMO, the closest I got was Destiny 1 and 2. What I liked about them was the social element and the raids. What I hated was the grinding, repeating the same content over and over, having to be online at certain times of the week for X shit, or not being able to do something because not everyone in the group could make it that evening.

The group I was playing with, they were good people, but the response I would get if I was like “Hey we been playing this game for a month want to play something else?” I can’t keep up with that it’s too repetitive. I need variety with the games I play. 

So if this game is a MMO or MMO-lite where there are things to do but it’s less serious and committal then that would be for me. I want to get online, have fun with others, have achievable goals in the game, but without having to spend 100’s of hours picking up random shit or doing the same mission over and over. If this game is a MMO but lighter then I’d probably get in to it.

I'm basically just expecting this thing to be playstation home or something like that, or VR chat (but not VR)

I doubt they stripped out the online elements, cause they originally billed it as an MMO and they make online games

edit apparently you catch monsters in it, so maybe a bit more involved than that. But not that much

The trailer has a wee man swinging a hammer around at something so I'd assume it has combat in it.  And they're calling it an Open World Action Adventure.  How online it is it's hard to tell whether you go into instances with lots of people or it can just be played in co-op is hard to tell.

It looks kinda badass tho.  Nice bunch of graphics too.

Even if it's like Destiny I'd be fine with it because I played that game 95% of the time solo and put it back on the shelf after 30 hours or so and had a good time with it. I don't know about the second one but the first one didn't really force the multiplayer aspects onto the player.

We'll see where this falls on the scale. Geoff mentioned some animal companion stuff and combat looks like it's ripped straight from Yo-Kai Watch 4 so there's that element, too.

• 3 months later...

Like, they keep saying 'not an MMO' but I really think they are just trying to challenge people's basic ideas of what they think an MMO is. Cause it just totally looks like an MMO to me, which for a lot of people is just an interactive hangout area where you do weird emotes and customise your characters, or decorate your house.

Also man the comments on that video are more than a little cursed, big cursed