passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Demon’s Souls 2020

DisturbedSwan

On 03/01/2021 at 20:45, Snaggletooth said:

Yeah started on the mines,

Working my way through that, certainly a lot more forgiving at the moment.

If you turn on online and kill a few invaders that'll shift you back to white (start of 2-2 is a good place for this). If I still had the game I could've invaded you and have you kill me a few times but I sold it recently. 

But yeah, similar to what OCH said, I expect you've been human a little more than you should've been. There's the Cling Ring you get on 1-1 just before Phalanx that'll help you retain more health whilst in Soul form.

• 1 month later...

Been playing this the last few evenings and am really enjoying it. It looks phenomenal. I mean, I know Blue Point know their stuff, but if this is what they can do with the PS5 from the offset, I can't wait to see what they can now they know their way around the system.

I've also gone for the royalty class. I know it's technically easy mode, but I'll take whatever help I can get in these games. Managed to beat Phalanx and Tower Knight with no real trouble and am now on to the mines.

Discovered last night that by pure luck, the weapon i'd chosen in my off hand was giving me a massive magic boost (Kris's blade or something like that). I managed to take down Armoured Spider after a two or three attempts, then I got through to some fire boss not long after. Boom - he went down first try.

I then went onto my favourite level so far, the Prison one. Managed to get right to the bottom before dying, swearing because I hadn't unlocked any shortcuts throughout the whole thing and that i'd have to do it all over again only to realise i'd unlocked loads of small shortcuts the whole way through.

I'd also been told to:

Spoiler

kill an old dude in a tower before taking on the Idol Doll

She went down first try as well. 

This is probably the most i've enjoyed a souls game since Bloodborne, as currently I feel like it's not kicking my arse to the floor every two minutes. I'm sure it'll make me regret typing that sometime soon though.

Utilising the Kris Blade like that was quite a lucky accident. I've kept it on my Magician since 2-1 and combined with a certain ring you'll find later, makes Magic builds back a huge punch. You can enhance yourself even further with a certain Boss Weapon by the end of world 4. There is also a Magic boosting headpiece and Boss Catalyst in World 3. However there is a catch and/or penalty to using those three items.

Good luck! You're doing really well so far. You've defeated two bosses considered "walls" in this game. You have one more of those left.

Having played Dark Souls Remastered before this remake, I think Dark 1 is a lot easier in general. I do remember being really frustrated by both games upon their initial release. Weird how hindsight works with the Souls series.

As a Magician in DeS, I rarely get close enough to parry. But I do think this game has a more forgiving parry window than the later games. Bluepoint kept that in to their credit, too. I never played Dark 3 but I remember they ruined parrying in Dark 2.

52 minutes ago, Whiskey_chaser said:

And just as I think i'm doing ok at this game..... Maneater. 

He is a cunt, try to maintain distance and hide behind the pillars if you can, he is weak to magic and does go down quick if you can get a few shots in. I popped a summon for him though.

1 hour ago, Whiskey_chaser said:

And just as I think i'm doing ok at this game..... Maneater. 

That would be the other “wall” I mentioned. The AI can have a bit of RNG to it. That boss was the one time I stopped using magic and went with a sword instead. Good Luck.

1 hour ago, Jimbo Xiii said:

giphy.gif

He's certainly chewing me up. I've been trying to summon but no signs appear. I've managed to get him down to a slither of health but then got knocked off by the second one.

Did manage to clear my way through the next area though (Isle of Storms?) and beat the boss second try. Managed to find an area where he wouldn't attack so I nudge forward, threw a fireball at his bonce and then retreated. I then got invaded a few steps passed the archstone by someone with half of their health so i turned around and one shotted them.

My advice for Maneater. Two-hand a good sword. Either enchanted with the spell or Crescent Falchion +3 (or higher). Get used to dodging his lunges and he will melt soon enough.

Oh and cut off the snake tail as soon as possible! It has an attack that increases Maneater's attack power.

Good progress on this at the weekend. Area's two and three are now completely cleared. Fuck all those that cheese the old monk invasion. I had five OP invaders hide behind a door and one hit me the moment I got through the gate. I ended up making myself the invader a few times and just sitting there to give some people an easy win as it seems a bit of an unfair fight.

I also cleared the first part of the last area and killed the boss without taking a single hit, and am most of the way through the last section of the first area, just got to figure out how to tackle that bastard blue dragon.

1 hour ago, Whiskey_chaser said:

I had five OP invaders hide behind a door and one hit me the moment I got through the gate.

I did this a lot ? no one shots though, I gave them a fair fight after the initial door-gank, I love invading lol.

3 hours ago, Whiskey_chaser said:

I had five OP invaders hide behind a door and one hit me the moment I got through the gate.

That's why I keep offline. I don't like the idea of my game being interrupted by unwanted intrusion. It is a gimmick of the Souls series and a bad one at that.

Still you continue to make good progress. It is funny, I still only have 5-2, 5-3 and 1-4 to finish the game myself. Just can't be bothered at the minute.

• 2 weeks later...

The week of finishing things continues!

Knocked out 5-2 and 5-3 today. Even went for the alternate method for defeating the 5-3 boss. As my build isn't really equipped for a melee fight.

I gave 1-4 a quick try. Luckily, at some point I went through and unlocked the shortcut. So the enemy gauntlet proceeding the boss.. Well, basically has one less corridor of enemies. I decided on a quick try of OKA. I didn't realise/recall that his command grab also kills you?

I'll come back to finish him tomorrow.

Right, which class should I be? 

I’ve heard Royal a few times but I don’t want to pick that class just because it’s easy. I don’t want to feel like I’m just cheating my way through. & Is that class actually fun? From what I’ve heard that class nerfed in later games too so if I do get into this it’s going to actually make future ones harder when picking a different class? 

Depends on how you like to play?

Royal = Red Mage - You're a bit of a fighter with a strong initial spell. Yes, it is "Easy Mode" for DeS. It was basically the precursor to Pyromancer in the Dark series.

I chose Magician for my playthrough. It starts off really weak. But you are virtually unstoppable by the end.

A standard melee build is normally 'Wanderer' or something like that.

Or you could be a masochist and go for Depraved/Barbarian. Bad shield, negligible armour and only really strength to rely on. For Souls series vets, really.