passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Final Fantasy VII Remake

one-armed dwarf

27 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Eurogamer have a spoiler video on the ending

Reveal hidden contents

I already knew much of that, but to hear it all really takes the piss. ?

Spoiler

The title itself is a lie. For the sake of Fan Faction. It is an insult to every single fan of the original that wanted this "remake" (which I am not a part of, as I find leeching off of someone else's hard work, loathsome)

Spoiler

When they were threatening to shoe horn the bullshit of Crisis Core, Advent Children and all the other awful expanded universe stuff into the game. This, was always going to be the end result. Nomura nonsense...

2 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

You should keep all your thoughts on the ending in the spoiler block (imo)

I already did that. I think anytime Endings are discussed, it's never non-spoiler territory.

47 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Eurogamer have a spoiler video on the ending

Reveal hidden contents

This pretty much sums up the theories I mentioned I have above:

Spoiler

I got a reboot/sequel vibe from it in much the same way Mortal Kombat 9 is to the original Mortal Kombat trilogy.

Honestly this move it isn't surprising coming from the team that made the Final Fantasy XIII Trilogy, they love their time travel shenanigans.

I'm still excited for the next one, but in a different way now as it feels like it won't be a continuation of the story we know so well, and like I said above (and echoed by Aoife in that video) it's getting into very dangerous Kingdom Hearts territory.

In short - basically the exact same theory I had, and I agree with everything Aoife is saying ?‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Nag said:

Quick question, does Materia linked to inactive members (not party, those that can't be used in that chapter) gain AP?

And what Materia did people favour for Cloud... spoiler block it if you like.

Pretty sure only Materia being actively used gains AP.

I am constantly changing materia. Basically I'd say match your materia to the weapon type. I am using hard edge for Cloud, which is high ATK and low MAG. So I have him loaded up on pink materia for special attacks (as well as elemental linked with lightning).

Buster Sword is a good all rounder and should probably have a mix of magic/pink materia.

Not that anyone asked but I'd also say give Barret lots of support materia like haste/barrier. He's kind of crap as a damage dealer but great at tanking/support, imo

I noticed that in your gameplay videos. Barrett's got a chaingun on his arm, why are his damage values so low? He was originally the second strongest in the [Midgar] party to Cloud.

Tbh I'm not sure what you're referring to.

I took another one of that fight, Barret has the highest atk gun in this (or at least it's the highest ATK gun I found for him, I skipped lots of side content which I'm only doing now)

Spoiler

But what I mean is that Barret is very low mobility and his entire playstyle is based around turtling up as a turret. Tbh he's a bore to play as but I get why he's designed like this. Cloud and Tifa are more glass cannon types (with variance depending on weapons/materia).

Personally, I've always tended to ditch Barrett when the story doesn't require him. I do find him a bit naff, outside of his story focused chapters. Gun characters are a bit weird in Final Fantasy games anyway and only really work in the Cyberpunk setting. Like it doesn't really make sense in FF 13 or 15, having people bringing a sword to a gun fight...

So my friend text me this morning saying Hard Mode is so hard he can't even defeat the Scorpion boss.

I had no desire to play Hard Mode, but after he sent me that I had to at least give the Scorpion a try myself.

Anyway, I've just started Chapter 5 on Hard Mode ? I'm really enjoying the harder setting. It's made me look at combat and materia set up very differently - I'm carrying far more purples than I did in my Normal run. Also switch parrying with Cloud is so insanely satisfying it's unreal.

I might try to get the platinum on this one.

Yeah it's incredible, every decision you make really matters, from combat to materia. Anyone who calls this a button masher just hasn't played it enough imo.

I'm on chapter 8, doing side missions. I skipped them on first run but even these side mission monsters have a lot to think about.

Two appears to be the max, however there is a lot of pink materia which increases ATB gain while guarding, while doing stagger and using a number of ATB actions. At the level my characters are at I rarely find it a problem anymore. Also there is haste.

Any chance you were doing that mission where you fight three scorpion looking things which keep sending you to sleep? I did that mission for the first time last night, it's basically a waiting game

Yeah, there is a 'warding' materia which can be linked with 'binding' to protect against that maybe.

Even at end game this game forces you to be super economical with materia builds (which I really like, the original was just about dumping loads of materia on your equipment. Think it was 16 at max level).

I enjoyed Chapter 9 mostly.

Spoiler

I didn't like the dance off at all - the sequence was fine but mechanically it felt half arsed. Like they had a big routine animated out that went on for too long so at the last minute decided to include random button presses. I feel it would have been a lot more fun if it was an actual DDR or Parapa clone. I had a hard time getting pressing the buttons in time because nothing is on beat and the camera keeps swinging around like it's on a cat during a mad half hour.

I'm late to the party on this but I just noticed that Tifa's unbridled strength doesn't just make her triangle attacks better, it also seems to change the behaviour of overpower and other melee attacks. I can't find anything in the in game manual about it though, her battle system still confuses me a lot.

I just watched Damiani at Eazy allies play through the ending just now

Spoiler

Wow he is so upset by it. :( 

I just tried looking for that EZA video but can't find it.

Spoiler

I'm in two minds about the ending. 

On one hand I really didn't like the whole Nomura-ness of it all. It felt way too Kingdom Hearts for my taste. I don't mind Kingdom Hearts, but it isn't Final Fantasy VII, but Nomura's gonna Nomura so whatever.

But at the same time I'm excited to see where they're going with the story now, and it's nice to be be on the same page as people who had never played FFVII before - i.e. just as clueless about what's coming next as anyone else.