passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Final Fantasy VII Remake

one-armed dwarf

Quick question regarding chapter 14 progress and summons.

Spoiler

Ive unlocked the ability to fight Leviathan. I’m now at the point where I’ve done the sewers and got the grappling hooks where it’s basically told me I won’t be able to return. Should I grind and unlock Leviathan now or do I still get the opportunity later? I’m level 29, last tried him at 26 and got absolutely destroyed. Read I need to be about 35, but can’t find any information stating if I can fight it later or if I need to do it now? 

Sound, so I get another chance? Great.

Also only just gone back to the Colosseum to level up a little bit just in case I couldn’t later. I highly recommend people do this when they first get chance, not to grind but for some extra very useful stuff. And check the battle tactics tab of the main menu.

Spoiler

I didn’t know you could shortcut abilities to L1+ buttons. Makes combo-ing into abilities far faster and smoother. Clouds ability to change stance and attack is brilliant when added to a shortcut. & I assumed you couldn’t unlock other limit breaks since I’d not come across any others up to now. Wish I’d known I could have just done the quick animal battles in there. FFS.  

Shortcuts are also cool if 

Spoiler

You have incredible eyesight and can notice the very small icon which lets you toggle between the other party members shortcut menus. So you can be mashing as Cloud then doing an attack and shortcut something on Barret.

Completely unnecessary but looks super cool. Unfortunately I'd already platinummed by the time I saw that.

Chapter 14 & 15

Spoiler

Did all the colosseum matches and did the last team fight a couple of times and got to level 32. Changed up all my materia to lightning, buff and magic stuff. Absolutely destroyed Leviathan this time. Well happy.

Continued to chapter 15. Some strong and stunning scenery in this part. Climbing up the rubble of the old plate and seeing the destruction is something! The whole plate collapse thing on the whole was really well done. 

I really liked chapter 15. There's a lot of stuff pacing wise that really didn't work for me in Remake, but 

Spoiler

climbing the wreckage of the plate was much better here than in the original where it's a horrible platforming game. My friend used to say that the swinging pipe was tougher than Sephiroth.

Although the background of the wreckage looked like the WB intro unfortunately

Chapter 16

Spoiler

Reaching Shinra tower was pretty incredible. The sense of scale was fantastic in the scene just before getting into the car park. Spent a good while just looking at the scenery.

Once you get inside it’s pretty incredible too. They’ve really gone all out with the designs in here and the little overly happy tourist videos between rooms made me laugh with the juxtaposition between them and my team, especially Barret. Really enjoying just exploring this part and seeing all the glass case displays and little holographic sound bites. Hojo’s was particularly good. 

That Holographic video thing they put you in was incredible. One of the most visually impressive things I’ve seen. Just reached the VR bit after the Mayor, “is the best!”. 

Love this game. 

Spoiler

Elevator. 
I did the stairs in OG. Wasn’t doing that again if I didn’t have to even if I did find it funny that they actually made you climb them all. 

Hope I didn’t miss any good dialogue, but had some good moments and dialogue in the elevator too plus a couple of lines from the mayor which I liked so all good either way. 

Finished this today. I enjoyed it a lot overall, not the greatest game ever, and it feels a bit like if Uncharted was an RPG in terms of structure, but it is a good game. I wish Access was just part of Cloud's arsenal, a skill he learnt, combined with you not being able to change materia midway through a fight means some battles can be a slog where you're just chipping away at a health bar. That becomes more of a thing later on, when you can only damage enemies at certain points. I'm also not a fan of multi-form boss battles where you feel like you just wasted your powerful attack because only a percentage of it counts as damage, the rest discarded because you've hit the next stage point.

The last few chapters felt overly long for me, the game should have ended at the top, a lot of what happens after that felt like they just didn't know when to let go. Certainly there's one section that really should have been cut

Good game though, after all the false starts and delays it really did come together

Just completed. 
Im gutted, didn’t want it to end! Don’t know what to do with myself now lol. 

I found the ending section a real rush. Just constant big boss battles, incredible music and a constant push forward. What a sight seeing

Spoiler

Shinra HQ being covered in millions of whispers/dementors is too. 

I won’t go into it much since I’ve basically been giving my thoughts as I’ve gone through the game. But I fucking adored this. Like proper fucking loved it. 

It definitely had its issues, I spent about 42 hours on it & did just about everything. To be honest you could have lost about 10 hours or so of guff and it probably would have been a better game. ive explained my issues with the combat already too so no need for that even though I did get to the point where I enjoyed it for the most part. I agree with @DANGERMAN points too regarding Assess, and the slog some enemies can be where you basically do hardly any damage, although this can sometimes lead to added suspense.

Not being able to switch weapons and materia mid battle can really screw you too although I rarely, if ever died due to this. Having some materia loaf outs would help too just as in the original. Can get to be a pain swapping them all he time especially when the party switches. But it’s not a huge issue, just a QOL thing. 

Regardless of this though it’s one of my games of this generation. Maybe my favourite. I’m not sure if I’d have felt this way at all if I’d not just played OG and loved that so much though as I know it’s issues but it had a bigger emotional impact due to this and my existing love of the characters. I’m curious what people who haven’t played the original think now. 

9/10

Got to ask others who have completed it something though, am I missing something? Id heard a few times how different this was and how much the ending changes.

Spoiler

But I didn’t really find it that different? Biggs and possibly Wedge have survived, Zack is potentially alive and had some extra battles. Including killing Destiny, but that doesn’t necessarily mean things will be hugely different going forward. I’d imagine it’s broadly going to be the same but with some small differences. Just like this instalment? Or is it just the potential that they could go completely different path

which is getting people so wound up about it?  There’s obviously the potential they could keep Aerith alive this time too, I am worried about that I have to say. I think it’ll be a really shitty cop out if they don’t kill her off again. It’s been a big part of gaming specifically because of the impact of her dieing. Keep her alive and it ruins that and I just think it’ll be shit to kind of undo that. As mush as I love Aerith, I hope they don’t coward out and keep her alive. 

Now the long wait until the second part ?

Your spoilers

Spoiler

I largely read it the same as you, that it's going to follow much the same path with some divergences.

Still tho, the thing with Zack is an enormous change. It makes me think Aerith might not die. At the very least I think that's what they want us to feel now, before they just go an kill her anyway lol

Spoiler

I still think Zack could be dead though. What’s to say he didn’t get to Midgar with Cloud, get Cloud to safety then get killed by Shinra soldiers or Sephiroth? Or he could have had a mortal wound he wasnt showing when carrying Cloud. If he did survive and go back out in the world to be met later it could create a fun 3 way relationship with Tifa though.

I just edited my post at the bottom regarding Aerith before seeing yours, I hope thats their plan to just get people’s hopes up she may survive and just kill her anyway lol. That would be pretty fucked up and cool way to add that impact to it happening still. Instead of people knowing it’ll happen they can get them thinking she’ll survive again which is a good smart way of adding emotional impact to it for a 2nd time. Even if they do it at a later or earlier stage to really throw people off 

Spoiler

If you look at the final shot of Zack it actually mirrors the framing of the final scene he had in original VII

So a theory is they may have just retconned Crisis Core a bit or something. But tbh I do just read it as there's a version of Zack who didn't die, or something? It's not very coherent.

We're sort of in LOST theory crafting mode with the 'Remake' series now. Some are saying it's a sequel to Advent Children with time travellers. I can't quite get behind that theory just yet but Maximillian Dood goes way into it on a EZA podcast. It's posted in the EZA thread.

This spoiler block contains speculation based off spoilers from the 'Compilation of FFVII'

Spoiler

Maybe. It’s all guesswork at the minute I suppose.

Just watched a video of someone suggesting Sephiroth and Aerith are basically the same ones that died in the original basically on a circular time path and they know exactly what’s going to happen again. & that’s why Aerith hesitates when at the crossroads of destiny. Because this is the time she’s going to change it. Makes a lot of sense in a lot of ways. Stuff that fucks with time lines like that messes with my head though so can’t think about it too much. Such as Zack, if he survived the SOLDIER ambush then this timeline was already different so it wasn’t playing out the same anyway regardless of them killing destiny. 

Fuck knows. ? I’ll have forgotten these details by time part 2 is released anyway and probably won’t remember any details from the original by then so won’t know what they’ll have changed lol. I had to google some parts of the original since I’d already forgotten some parts which happened, stupid shit memory.