passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Twin Peaks

Hendo

Seeing as I’m still knee deep in episodes of the Knowledge Fight podcast, it’s hilarious when an old character turns up and is a perfect copy of the Alex Jones playbook. Peddle fear and then peddle your tat.

I’m finding the “Dougie” sections a bit tedious - I just want to watch the man do his thing again.

On 10/12/2019 at 19:11, DANGERMAN said:

some of it is literally just a guy brushing up

Pretty sure I just had this scene come up.

Also, bit creepy how Horne has hired a woman who looks exactly like his daughter. 

I remember you saying one episode was the greatest episode of television you’d ever seen, which number was that? I’m starting up part 8 now.

Because of Hendo I've gone back to series 3 too. I can't remember where I was up to on my rewatch so I've started from episode 5 

Something I spotted right at the start of episode 6 (Hendo don't read this until you've finished) 

Spoiler

Dougie is stood in front of the statue of the gun man outside his work. That's right near the spot where he's attacked by Ike the spike. 

Dougie has one hand up his sleeve so you can't see it, and is pulling at it with the other one, like he's trying to squeeze his hand off 

I would like to give this another chance. Maybe ill try and watch it in as few sittings as possible (as it is apparently considered a 'film'*) and see if the structure works  better.

But man those Dougie scenes were just unbearable. It's not like I dont get what they were about but still

* https://www.bfi.org.uk/features/best-films-2017/

I decided to move on from episode 8 and watch it again after I’ve finished. I ordered that box set so it’s my plan of what to watch if I don’t get an internet connection sorted.

Episode 9 seems back on track covering the more interesting bits in the town of Twin Peaks and the murder mystery.

My guess on that girl from the last episode, if it’s someone we already know....

Due to the year kind of lining up right - I’d guess it’s Laura’s mum and the bug moth is what causes her mental problems.

The thing I like about how horror is handled in Lynch's stuff is how it all comes out of a very mundane place. Or is hidden by a pleasant facade of white picket fences and cherry pie. 

It's not just weird horror for the sake of being weird. It takes place in everyday settings cause the real horror is in the realisation that oh, the really awful nightmare shit was always there around you. You just weren't looking, or decided you didn't want to.

WRT the 2017 Twin Peaks [full series spoilers]

Spoiler

I think it is about the decay of this facade, where by the end the town has changed so much that it isn't really recognisable. People are different or replaced. Sarah is literally taken over by a demon, which never really gets explained. Cooper comes unstuck in time cause he isn't equipped with the know how to find his way anymore.

Or at least I think that's what it was all about anyway. I try not to over analyse this stuff and attach anything concrete to it cause it all clearly is very free-form anyway. But I think this is the dominant idea in TP season 3.

The actual plot and lore stuff [MAJOR spoils and HOT takes]

Spoiler

IMO, is mostly incoherent garbage that lets the show down. I don't see why it matters if there is another black lodge entity called Judy or that we need to know about David Bowie trying to find it. It's the part of the show where you feel the influence of Mark Frost the most I think, who has written loads of weird books fleshing out the lore of Twin Peaks. The more actualised all that stuff becomes the less enjoyable it is to pluck meaning from out of all the dreamlike weirdness.

Already there. I think I stumbled across a vague spoiler regarding her, but I’m not reading any more about it.

I started listening to the Twin Peaks Rewatch podcast again. I listened to them all, bar the ones for the new series, so I jumped straight back in. It’s a good way for me to digest what I watched with them talking about it. Interested to see how they interpret episode 8.