passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

A Way Out

DisturbedSwan

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2018/03/a_way_out_developer_hazelight_to_receive_all_profits_ea_not_making_a_single_dollar

The man leading development on A Way Out, Josef Fares, is notorious for his outspoken nature. He's certainly an entertaining and charismatic figure, but he clearly isn't shy when it comes to speaking about the business side of things.

Fares has been touring A Way Out for previews recently, and an interesting quote came out of his time with TheSixthAxis. Apparently, EA won't see any profits at all from the game, with every penny going to the developer, Hazelight. Here's the quote:

"Here’s the thing, and you have to understand this: with this deal that I have for this game, EA is not making a single dollar out of this. Every single dollar is going to the developer. They’re not even making any money and all I’ve got is support from EA.

"They’ve not questioned the vision – they can’t because I won’t allow it – so they’ve been super supportive all the way. Even with this buy one [Friend Pass] thing, no problem."

We're not sure if Fares was able to talk EA down to this deal, or if all EA Originals games are treated in the same way, but it's certainly a notable fact, especially with EA's money-grabbing reputation.

Good guy EA. There'll be words I thought I'd never say.

I've, possibly incorrect, memories of them not making money from one of the other Originals they put out, I think it's just policy. Not that that negates it or anything, I'm sure they get something out of it but they could definitely have struck a deal where they took profits 

I booted the game up to see how the pass works. I was expecting a code to be generated, but the free user downloads the full game trial from the store and the paid user can invite them into their game.

I’ve no idea if it limits to just one person or you can do the same again with someone else.