passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Rocket League

Sly Reflex

20200824230650_1.jpg

This might be the longest overtime I've seen in a while. I was shaking like fuck because the two other players were just cramming up trying to score and were just generally ball chasing, so each time the ball broke lose it was a squeaky bum time clearing it for them to start the same whit over again. On this occasion the opposing team was all up in our shit trying to finish it and left their own goal open from a own half lob.

Rocket League. Maybe one of the finest games of last decade.

I reckon September 1st. That's when the new Rocket Pass starts. It'd make sense for it to happen then, even though the ticker in game says going free to play "this summer". Funny idea of summer, but then again I don't think they planned for Corona to ruined 2020 for everyone.

• 3 weeks later...

I really do not like the way they've redesigned the UI for this update, it's all kinds of crap. Sort of reminds me of the Windows 8 look, all the options are big tiles that don't need to be big tiles, it just looks really messy. Also for some mad reason everything is in italics.

I do like how they added the challenges to the scoreboard though, as well as showing you stuff you are ready to claim. Same for the accolades like showing if you bumped a lot of players or centred a lot of balls, this is actually very nice. The rest? Not so much.

It's a weird thing when you think about it, you know this game has been going for such a long time that the UI really needed a bit of a facelift as it was looking dated, but they really didn't need to go altering stuff about. A like for like on placement would have been fine, just make it look more up to date and have done with it, don't make me do more button presses than I had to do originally to start a game.

The old adage fits here. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Apparently they changed the hitbox of the Merc as well, but I've not witnessed anyone using it in my sessions today. I heard a few people saying it was overpowered, but I don't really think any of the cars are overpowered. Nearly all the cars used the same hitbox anyway, I'd rather they didn't but it sort of makes sense from a competitive standpoint, I guess.

Put this on for first time in a few months today. God I’m rusty!! 

I agree with Sly regarding the new UI. It takes longer and more button presses to get into a game from the main menu now which is never a good thing. Used to only take 2 presses and a couple of seconds, now it’s a bit more faff. Not terrible and I’ll get used to it but still annoying.

I tried that cross play friends thing @Sly Reflexbut couldn’t find you? And when I press RT it shows “epic friends” but it just said my standard username and nothing else. I sent a friend request to “SlyReflex” don’t know if that’d get through to you? 

Think my level is too high for the FTP noobs too. First few games I’ve been in had some high level players are in. Flying and twirling about the place scoring loads of goals. Bastards. 

I tell you what I really hate about the new update. The weekly, season and event challenges have to be claimed manually.

For instance the Fortnite antenna. Something like this before the update, you'd finish the match and it'd go "Hey, you hit the requirements! Here's you're reward!" and then present you with an "OK" or  "Equip" button. This meant if you were in a nice lobby you could just carry on playing until you'd had enough or everyone left and made you restart matchmaking because it put you in a looped queue.

Now there's a menu for all this where you have to physically go in once they're complete and claim them. Since the update I am finding myself having to back out to claim stuff that should just be auto claiming. The most annoying one if the Llama-Rama event, there's a repeatable challenge that gives you a ton of XP for completing 10 matches. Instead of just throwing the Llama-Rama stuff on the XP screen you have to mentally keep track of it to see where you are and then return to menus to claim it. It's proper wank.

To be perfectly honest, I'd put all the new UI right in the bin, these changes were completely uneeded, they just decided to tinker with them for no other reason than maybe if they forced people back into the menu's more, they might buy something from the store.

Also the new UI doesn't fully support controller, I can't remember if it's the season page or the Llama-Rama event page, but you have to mouse it. I don't know if the blame lies at Psyonix's or EPIC's doorstep, but someones head deserves to be on the chopping block for this decision and execution. It's a travesty.

• 4 weeks later...

Ghostbusters event on for Halloween. 

There's a glut of items you can get that are Ghostbuster related if you play for a decent session. I unlocked everything in maybe an hour of play.

They're a new mode that plays like tennis where the ball moves back and for and auto aims for the goal. I can see it becoming a main fixture in the game, although I'm not sure I like it that much. Games tend to be very short, the scores only go up top 7 and and the level I play at they tend to be done before the clock gets down to 3 minutes. It's good for practicing saves, I guess. 

Also played a bit of ranked 3v3 and managed to climb back into Plat. I doubt I'll be able to stay there, but it's nice to know that it is possible.

Did I add you @mfnick? I can't remember if I did or not. It's doing quite well among my friends currently, so you should be able to get a game with people your level, unless you're way higher than Plat. I think the spread in my group is high silver to low platinum.

I added again specifically this time I played. If you use the same name there you should have an invite.

I got passed level 70 of the Rocket Pass and am now getting random painted items. Really all I am playing for now it the credits so I can get the future Rocket Pass' for cheaper.

• 4 weeks later...

I am having the worst time on this recently. Was a teetering on the edge of gold and plat, but today I dropped a rank in gold after god awful performances. Both from me, but I often look at my team mates and wonder if they have any cognitive ability.

I cannot remember a time when the game actually matched me up with people that were on the level that the other team are on. The other team flying up for the ball and I've got a team mate humping the goalpost like a complete moron. I wish they never did away with the solo queue, I know it might have been terrible for the people up at the Grand Champ bracket, but it was a god send for normal players that didn't want to face stacked teams.

• 4 months later...

After a season off I'm back. Ranked 2's and 3's.  Needless to say, it's been rough. Real fucking rough. I have no idea where all the gold players are, but I'm not really seeing many. I am seeing plat after plat though, I'm losing a lot but it's either on overtime or by 1 goal. I have had a couple of serious dickings, and I feel bad for the silvers that pulled us, we kicked them into the stratosphere in about a minute.

Fun game still, but I can feel it getting sweaty already.