passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Dragon's Crown

Uncle Dokuro

I've done about an hour of Dragon's Crown and I have to say I'm loving it. Hopefully Vanillaware and Atlus bring this to PlayStation 4 in 1080p 60fps, with cross save and unified set of trophies, so you don't have to have the game twice on your profile – that would be quite nice.

The animation on the PS Vita is amazing – simple the best I've seen on any console or hand held device. This was something I said about Rayman Origins, but Vanillaware out does that Ubiart power game by miles.

Dragon's Crown plays like an updated version of Capcom's Dungeons & Dragons games, which is not surprising seeing that director George Kamitani worked on those games.

The combat is similar Capcom's D&D games, buthas been slightly updates to make Dragon's Crown feel more fresh. There are six classes to pick from – Fighter, Archer, Dwarf, Wizard, Amazon and Sorceress. The character design is very stylized, but it's not as offensive as some western games journalists want you to think. I currently playing as the Archer with Japanese voice track.

Went you set out on your quests you're accompanied by Rannie the Rouge. He will unlock doors and chest for you. He does not fight in combat and will run in hide when you go into combat. There are two way to give Rannie orders – One which is the best IMO uses the touch screen. Just tap a chest or door and Rannie will pick it for you. The other method is better suited for the Dualshock and uses the right analog stick to move a mouse-like cursor to tap on chest and doors. Due to the size of the PS Vita this second method felt awkward to me.

On your quest you will find bone piles, which represents fallen adventurers. You can take those bone piles to the Chapel of Athena to resurrect them. You can then fill three slots and have them as AI partners on quests.

Capcom two Dungeon & Dragons games are up there with Sega Bass Fishing as some of my all time favorite games. Dragon's Crown is now up there with them. I think they just updated the game with a new dungeon that has over 1000 floors plus all the content on the game card and a new level cap will keep me busy for months if not years to come.

Like I said I love to see this on PS4 in the near future, so more gamers can experience this game.

I resurrected an Amazon warrior in the Chapel of Athena. I currently have her slotted as a companion anlong with a Dwarf that I resurrected. The Amazon warrior has a pretty brutal spin attack ... kinda like Blanka's Spinning Ball move, but with a fucken massive battle axe. She came in handy when i had to clear out some Wyvern.

I happy with my choice of the Archer, she is light weight and has quick melee attacks with brutal ranged attacks. I love how the game is layed out like a DMG (Dungeon Master's Guide) or a choose your own adventure. Ton of spoken dialogue from the narrator/dungeon master. Must own for anyone who has a PS Vita.

• 5 months later...

Free to PS+ members this month, Dragons crown,

I've installed the game and fired it up, so far it appears to be some kind of boob simulator.

There also appears to be a game vaguely hidden somewhere behind that, but I've not had enough time to really get past the boobs, er I mean tutorial.

There's a bloody brilliant game in there, once you get past the Sorceress' jugs. And that takes some doing ;-)

The main quest takes some getting through, played through the American version via import on ps3. Quite a few secrets to figure out, and the last boss is a proper bastard.

Genuinely worth playing, even more so when it's free.

perhaps I've become grumpy in my age, but much like last month's free offering of muramasa, the over the top proportions (and wibbling) of the female characters just really makes me feel cold about the game.

It just feels a bit.... sleazy... for want of a better word,

True, the over-the-top boobs may be a bit off putting. But the game is a lot of fun, so it'd be a shame if it put people off.

Pretty good how it let's you transfer your save-file across. Restarting with a Dwarf this time, went Fighter for my first playthrough.

<old man rant>

I feel embarrassed playing it in front of other people.

I play often in my lunch break at work, and sometimes people take a peep over my shoulder to see what I'm playing, which as led to some interesting conversations playing games like tearaway, but frankly I feel that this game is completely spoiled for me with the over the top (and somewhat derogatory) portrayal of female characters in the game.

The backgrounds and art style of the game look absolutely stunning, it's a shame that whoever gave the thumbs up on the art direction in this game has the mentality of a randy 14 year old.

</old man rant>

• 5 weeks later...

I was getting used to how this game worked and then BAM, it hit me with a bunch of B routes and a massive quest to get a load of talismans! Yea! I welcome that formula change up, and the fact that the B routes are fucking hard is pretty cool too, I've got some grinding to do, yeeeees sir.

I'm level 26 at the mo, the biggest boss on the B routes so far is level 30 so Im gonna give this a good hammering tonight, see if I cant get Normal complete.

Play a level, appraise and sell equipment, ressurect and bury bones, equip any new shit, repair old shit, spend skill points, hand in old quest/get new quests, play a level or 6, appraise and sell equipment...

I used 3 AI teammates, they seem to help out alot... Think I was early thirties level wise.

It took me several attempts to do it. First few goes they barely lasted 5 minutes. On my last attempt a dwarf stuck through til the bitter end. Soon as the announcer said "there's 2 more, harder dragons", I thought "aaand I'm done".