passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Twitch Thread

DANGERMAN

Google has lost it bid to own Twitch. Amazon has bought the outstanding Twitch shares for $970 million cash.

Dear Twitch Community, It’s almost unbelievable that slightly more than 3 years ago, Twitch didn’t exist. The moment we launched, we knew we had stumbled across something special. But what followed surprised us as much as anyone else, and the impact it’s had on both the community and us has been truly profound. Your talent, your passion, your dedication to gaming, your memes, your brilliance - these have made Twitch what it is today.

Every day, we strive to live up to the standard set by you, the community. We want to create the very best place to share your gaming and life online, and that mission continues to guide us. Together with you, we’ve found new ways of connecting developers and publishers with their fans. We’ve created a whole new kind of career that lets people make a living sharing their love of games. We’ve brought billions of hours of entertainment, laughter, joy and the occasional ragequit. I think we can all call that a pretty good start.

Today, I’m pleased to announce we’ve been acquired by Amazon. We chose Amazon because they believe in our community, they share our values and long-term vision, and they want to help us get there faster. We’re keeping most everything the same: our office, our employees, our brand, and most importantly our independence. But with Amazon’s support we’ll have the resources to bring you an even better Twitch. I personally want to thank you, each and every member of the Twitch community, for what you’ve created. Thank you for putting your faith in us. Thank you for sticking with us through growing pains and stumbles.

Thank you for bringing your very best to us and sharing it with the world. Thank you, from a group of gamers who never dreamed they’d get to help shape the face of the industry that we love so much. It’s dangerous to go alone. On behalf of myself and everyone else at Twitch, thank you for coming with us.

Emmett Shear, CEO

• 3 weeks later...

I have a quick question for the Twitch experts among the MFer’s. Is it possible to switch off the chat feature or limit the chat feature on Twitch while streaming a game?

I ask because while streaming Deer Hunter 3 I had around twelve or so very bigoted folks mocking my southern accent, the game I was playing and my followers. It went far beyond what I would call friendly trolling into a very bigoted and racist place.

The only thing I can see is to delist my channel from being displayed as a feature channel. Is there not a feature where only my followers can use my chat box during live streams? This seem like it should be a basic feature.

I've had people get abusive before, I don't see it until after though as I don't look at the comments, I always have the game ful screen so don't have those areas where comments are displayed to distract me. Maybe look at Twitch's setting on the website and see if you can lock it down to sub viewers only?

• 2 weeks later...

You need to sort your Playstation settings out of Uncle... Last time I tried to send you a friends request met with dismal failure due to your settings...

Xbox?? I just check my smartglass it says you, Sly and Spatular are my friends, but on Sly is following me. Not sure why it says your not following me anymore. I'll check when I get home.

Playstation 4 was sent from rural Virgina to me on the west coast and my parents sent it ground. Whenever it shows up I check then.

Just getting into twich, so far it seems like somebody plays a game whilst the chat is filled with cunts. Normally if the gamer is male then the people are cunts to everyone else, and if its a female then the people are also cunts to the gamer.

• 2 weeks later...