passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Steam Thread

Hendo

Thought this was quite funny.

Mischevious Steam users have begun hijacking Steam's new game-tagging feature to label games with humourous tags and some colourful new descriptions.

In news that should come as a surprise to no one, users have decided to exploit Valve's new cataloguing tool to troll others - and air their thoughts on particular titles.

Search for "casual" games and you'll be rewarded with Dark Souls and the upcoming Thief.

Deadly Premonition's top label is "beard simulator", while indie hit Gone Home's most popular tags are "not a game", "walking simulator" and "bad".

DmC Devil May Cry, a frequent target of gamer ire, is "edgy" "#TooEdgy4U" and simply "f*** you".

Fez is described with the tag "choke on it" (one of the many memorable phrases from developer Phil Fish's Twitter tantrums) and "diva dev" (which also appears as a popular choice for Peter Molyneux's Godus).

Steam's game-tagging FAQ suggests that there is nothing publishers or developers can do about unwanted tags. In answer to the question "What if I don't agree with a tag that has become popular for my game?", the company explained:

"Tags can be a good indicator of when there is a mismatch between how you perceive your game, and how your game is perceived by customers. Often this is simply because there is some piece of information regarding the game that customers feel is missing from the store page."

First game I see on the store is South Park. Click on it, most popular? "Overpriced". Brilliant.

I'm frankly amazed Valve thought this was a good idea, I thought some intelligent people worked there. But then again, they introduced Greenlight and Trading Cards & Badges...

One look at any game's Steam forum should have shown them that the 'community" would turn tagging to shit within minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

So the user reviews were not enough to "shame" developers, we now have to put up with useless tags that have made the recommended for you section useless. I clicked on a recommended tag "rouge-like" and it brought up a fucken Barbie game. It's funny once, but it gets old quick when mismatched tags are on a majority of games. If you have an issue with the game write a bad user review. I know I'm in the minority here, but In my opinion the tags backfired on Valve.

• 6 months later...

might as well use this as a general Steam thread.

Steam has updated.I mean, Steam has always just updated, but this time the store front has changed. Firstly, everything is blue yeah. Secondly, it's now more geared towards recommending things to you.

For example, the feature bar, which usually has Civ, something zombie related, some early access shit, and a big new release £10 more expensive than it should be, now includes games Steam thinks you'd like. For example, because I played Borderlands 2 on Steam, quite a lot I might add, but played the first game on 360, Borderlands 1 is now a featured game with "recommended for you" on it.

There's also now a queue of games for you to yes/no through. This is how Greenlight worked, so if you ever voted on that then you'll get what's going on here. This is where I'm not sure it works that well. The first item in my queue is Wasteland 2, which I am kind of interested in, but the options are to add it to my wishlist, which I don't need to do because I'm unlikely to forget it exists, 'follow' so it goes in my community feed, nope, or say I'm not interested which I am. I'd rather be able to acknowledge that it's something I'd like without going the extra step (you can also skip it). Basically I want it to curate Steam for me, I'm fine with that, but I don't need AAA games on my wishlist because they're already featured everywhere on Steam and will definitely get featured in any sale. On the other side, I think Dying Light looks like it might be good, but I really don't want Steam recommending zombie game after zombie game to me, they might as well have not changed the store page if they're going to do that

You've also got the "Tags recommended for you"

Here's mine

Tags recommended for you

It's based around what you've recently been playing on Steam, so for me the 2 Metro games. The problem with them is, if you look at that list, I'm not sure FPS, Horror, or Stealth are the games you'd recommend to me. Atmospheric sure, and I do love some post-apocalypse, but it's not the best way to suggest new stuff. It's a self-fulfilling rabbit hole, you played an fps, so why not play another fps, and another fps etc. I'm not sure there's a better way of doing it, not without some complicated algorithm, but I'm not sure it can reach the hidden gems of Steam

there's also curators now. You can become one by being in a group and being an 'officer' (I think that might just be an admin, or maybe it's something new), then start recommending games, or you can follow ones. The top ones include Jim Sterling, NeoGaf, Total Biscuit, so if you see someone who's opinion you then it might not be a bad idea to get the odd obscure game from them

edit: This all reads like I'm down on it. I'm not, I'm glad they've changed Steam's store page, it really really needed it, hopefully the curation aspect lets Steam evolve and works better as time passes

My steam has had these features for a while, I thought everyone had them? I just had a look and they've changed the skin of the frontpage, but all those features have been in there for a month or so, whenever the ability to hide games in your library was added.

My tags.

FPS

Co-op

Shooter

Loot

Funny

I wonder which game it pulled those from?

My steam has had these features for a while, I thought everyone had them? I just had a look and they've changed the skin of the frontpage, but all those features have been in there for a month or so, whenever the ability to hide games in your library was added.

Maybe they've been rolling out updates to people in phases, because I read about the hiding games option a while ago but I never got it. Or it could be related to if you're a steam beta user.

Possibly. I've had a dig around steam and the only change I can see is the store page, it's just tying up all the other changes that have happened over the last few months. The library, community and activity pages have been like they are for yonks.

Thinking about it I seem to remember Bilge Rat over at g™ complaining that his steam went all blue a while back too.

they do sometimes bestow updates on some and not others. I'm on the beta but most of these features are new to me, but I got Big Picture and a couple of other things earlier than some

Yeah that's you alright.
Ben's tags aren't actually far off.

really? I wouldn't say I play a lot of fps games or a lot of horror games (comparatively to other genres, I play a lot of games so obviously I play a lot of fps) . Or stealth for that matter, Thief and I guess Deus Ex, but that's it

My tags seem a little bit literal. I played Hack N Slash last week:

Tags recommended for you
Hacking
Hack and Slash
Puzzle
Platformer
Programming

I haven't investigated the personalisation options on the store page yet, but being able to filter out Early Access for example would be quite handy.