passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Dynasty Warriors Next

Sambob

Dynasty Warriors Get!

Downloaded this just now, going to have a little go and see where its at. Dont care if a thread existed for this, anything anybody said about it before is not relevant any more.

Straight off the bat, the campaign mode is a bit jigged up. You have fixed characters you play as rather than choosing who you want from several, and you appear to earn money depending on how many territories you hold. You can invade territories that are next to ones youve invaded, signalled by a white line. Theres some bullshit about stratagems, but as usual mine will be to fuck everybody up regardless of who I am and who they are.

So far, so likey. Its your good old fashioned Dynasty Warriors but with nicer graphics, touchey stuff and fancy effects. Ive always thought that these games were better on the handheld and my first one was the PSP one (I forget the number) and this has that lovely quality to it, mindless smashy. Its like being given a big role of bubble wrap and left to your devices.

If you havnt tried this kind of game before, or perhaps didnt like it then Id say give this a go, its free on psn plus and its a nice little time passer if nothing else.

Dynasty Warriors is brilliant, a lot better than the constant lazy "all you do is hit X a billion times" reviews make out.

Basically, you pick a character from 3 various factions. Though the basic controls for all characters are the same, each has their own individual moves as well.

You're put into a map, with AI controlled allies. The enemy has several generals, and hundreds of cannon-fodder soldiers. You get an objective (take over all these points/kill the leader/survive for 30 minutes), and a failure condition (don't die/lose these areas/don't let a specific ally die).

Then you pile in against hundreds of enemies. If you take out respawn points you make life easier for yourself. But if you have allies/areas to protect you need to keep an eye on them too.

There's a fair bit of slowdown now and then, from the huge ammounts of enemies. And it can be repetitive. But it's also a lot of fun if you're in the right frame of mind.

• 3 months later...

Im playing this at the moment, It's pretty beans.

At first it seems to chuck an absolute shit load of information at you, to the point where I was a thinking of just turning it off and playing something a bit less complicated. But it's pretty easily absorbed once you start playing. Only put in about an hour and a half but enjoying it so far.

Oh, and it isnt just mashing square. You have to mash triangle as well.

Im playing this at the moment, It's pretty beans.

At first it seems to chuck an absolute shit load of information at you, to the point where I was a thinking of just turning it off and playing something a bit less complicated. But it's pretty easily absorbed once you start playing. Only put in about an hour and a half but enjoying it so far.

Oh, and it isnt just mashing square. You have to mash triangle as well.

and sometimes you have to awkwardly tap and swipe on the screen for odd reasons

I maybe should have read the story or something, I gave up after 3 hours of mashing the buttons with no real end of mashery in sight.

I'm now playing muramasa, which is the same only 2D

I maybe should have read the story or something, I gave up after 3 hours of mashing the buttons with no real end of mashery in sight.

I'm about five hours in and yes, there's no end in sight. Well, there is, I've had a look at the trophy list and ive cleared 6 stages of the campaign and I have 6 to go. So it's roughly 10 hours of mashery. Plus the other modes.

I really don't know exactly why I'm still playing, I'm doing the same now in hour 5 or so than I was in hour one. There is something oddly addictive about fucking up entire armies pretty much on your own. Maybe that's it?

Its one of those really hard to explain games that when you just state what it is in essence, then it sounds shit, but you cant stop playing. Its just oddly satisfying, and the fact that you change up characters and get new weapons and therefore new combos sort of makes it feel fresh even though it is EXACTLY the same thing over and over. Ive played five or six of them on different consoles and I cant really tell you why. Maybe its relaxing or something.

Anyone have any idea if Dynasty Warriors 8 is better or worse than this one? I must have spent about 30 hours on this one total for the therapeutic destruction of identical soldier upon soldier. I tried 8 on PS3 a day or 2 ago and switched it off after getting my arse, and left nut handed to me by Lu Bu.

Good old Lu Bu and his trusty Red Hare. You realise there are some fights with him that you arent meant to win by the way?

Well, DW8 is on the consoles whereas this is handhelds so its apples and pears. The console versions are always a bit nicer looking and a bit fancier, but to be honest I always prefer having it on a handheld, and the Vita's quick hibernate and startup make it really convenient to get straight into it. Play it whilst you do a shit and take a selfie (Jimbo).

I think the DW series is generally a good chill out game. After a stressful day, it's fun to take on an entire army and kick their arses.

Currently going through Fist Of The North Star: Ken's Rage 2. It's DW, with added gore and exploding body parts. Fun for all the family.

• 2 weeks later...

What a fucking shame this game takes 13 hours or so to get interesting. It was only I after I saw the credits to the main campaign and loaded up my game save that I was given an optional campaign (Advance of the Tiger or summink like that). The very first mission was as hard as nails, it involves our trying to capture three outposts whilst under massive pressure to defend your base. You have to capture one outpost for the game to trigger a huge attack on your base. As the odds are pretty underwhelming a lot of your ally officers withdraw from battle, leaving you the job to turn the tide of war solo.

After defending home base I ran to the other side of the map and took and captured their weapons base which was right next t one of their outposts, then took the outpost itself, followed by the other two. As you capture enemy territories your fellow officers, inspired by your heroism, return to the field. Only after you capture the three outpost do the gates to the enemy main camp open. I had to fight what felt like a million enemy officers and the one inside their main base was a complete cunt.

Anyways, I did it and despite dieing 5 times previous and having to do the whole thing again each time I thought it was awesome, left me thirsty for more. You need that pressure on you, something the main game had failed to do. It looks like these extra missions offer hours of extra game play, I just hope they are as good as that one single mission otherwise I'll have to shelf you DYN.

Totes addicted to this game. There is no question as to if I shall play this, I will get home and put it on for an hour or two.

That last campaign was tough, the duels especially. I was having to use a really weak character and two duel opponents in particular had massive energy bars and my character was taking very little energy of them with each successful hit, it took about 50 or 60 decent swipes to take them down. In contrast they were killing me with three or four attacks, I must have died over 30 times, I was.... cross.

I havent got a fucking clue what the hells is going on with the plot. I don't need a reason to mash the attack buttons, if you have a red bar above your head expect a flurry of square and triangle combos up in your ass box with the occasional circle special for your japsy.

Three campaigns left I think. Roar etc.

Yay another convert to the cause. I think they made this title easier as previous outings had more missions like the one you described, with officers leaving and additional objectives cropping up mid battle, having to hold one particular bridge whilst the guy who is awesome with the spear rescues the general with two sword's kid and so on. I used to know all the characters from the romance of three kingdoms series and all the story etc.

I'm on the final campaign mission now, i'm expecting a long one as its called "The Endless Quest" but hoping the title isnt literal as I have other games on other systems to play, plus a job and a wife.