passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

4g hhmmm

Manicm

Just figuring out if its worth it, my OH got a new Iphone 5s yesterday with 4g £47 a month is a bit steep for me for a phone, she gets unlimited mins/txt and 5gb of data.

Did a speed test, my virgin bb 20mb download 1.33mb upload which I thought was ok, but the 4g was 10mb download and 2,5mb upload, my 3g was 5mb download and again 2.5mb upload. How come phones are quicker to upload?? doesn't seem right?

Anyone have 4g and use it all the time? my OH isn't the best gauge as she hardly uses the phone which makes me wonder why she went for a 4g contract, must be the shiny shiny phone.

The extra money and the fact I don't live and work in a big city means it's not for me right now.

When it covers the whole country then I'll think about it but having a 5 gig limit seems counter-intuitive to having a fast connection.

I'm paying £11 a month for unlimited 3g which I rarely have any worries with about watching youtube videos or people streaming their ps4 videos.

I can't really think of any use for a mobile where you'd want to push more bandwidth through your phone, unless you're steaming your phone output to a tv for watching netflix in hd..

When 4g is £11 a month, I'll think about the switch, worth also putting a network usage tracker on your phone for a month to see exactly how much data you're pulling down onto your phone, (I use 3G watchdog, but that's android)

Also thinking about how you actually use your phone. I could really live without 3g, by pre-loading things i watch in my lunchbreak on my home network, but I got the unlimited 3g for free when I went to cancel my contract, so there that is.

Just figuring out if its worth it, my OH got a new Iphone 5s yesterday with 4g £47 a month is a bit steep for me for a phone, she gets unlimited mins/txt and 5gb of data.

That's is a great deal!! I have 4G unlimited from Metro, which is owned by Deutsche Telekom. I pay $60 a month for unlimited text/mins and my data cap is at 3 gigabits. On the phone side of things Metro does not do monthly payments on phones - you buy the phone out right day one. Which is nice because I'm not locked to a phone or plan. If I want a new phone I just buy it and slip in my sim card.

I thought that UK mobile phones were obscenely over-priced until I heard a US pod cast talking about how much they are over there. :(

yeah, Metro just got the Samsung Galaxy Mega and they want $399.99 for the hand set, which is an up front payment. They want $169.99 for the Kyocera Hydro XTRM, which has a tiny 3.5" screen.

I upgraded a few weeks ago. I was on Orange, but was convinced to go to EE in the shop. I ended up with a Sony Xperia SP with 2 gig of data, and unlimited texts and minutes for £23.99 a month. Plymouth gets 4G via EE in a couple of weeks. I've been told that my phone will automatically go over to 4G at no extra charge. But I should keep an eye on my data usage.

I'm with Three. Apparently Birmingham are getting a limited role out during December, with a complete roll out coming in January. My contract will automatically be upgraded to 4G as well. As I'm on the "All you can eat" package, I'll get unlimited 4g data. Which is nice as my home broadband has as much connectivity and speed as a sack of spanners, so I'm hammering the tethering at the moment. Lot of tool analogies in this post.