passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Sonic Lost World

illdog

I'm just going to cut to the chase: this is terrible. Admittedly i've not even done the first world yet but at this moment in time I really dont want to.

It starts off ok, a blatent copy of Mario Galaxy but feeling more like Ilo Milo without any puzzles. Nice crisp graphics. Controls are ok. Sonic, like Mario but with less of an excuse, doesn't accelerate as quick as I would like but my immediate problem lies in the homing attack. It doesnt always home in. Instead Sonic bounces and then looses all his acceleration.

Anyway, after a terrible cut scene introducing some new badly designed enemies, the next level starts which was just a simplified version of all side scrolling Sonic levels. At the end I fought a boss, Zazz, which I didnt enjoy much. If you lock on and attack for some reason it hits but does no damage. What you have to do it time your air attack so you bounce just in front of him and hit the front of his face. You have to do this for a while.

Next level was back to Mario Galaxy, then another piss poor cut scene, then another Mario Galaxy level that becomes a side scroller half way through.

Then I had to fight Zazz again. There is a little chase that takes about a minute to get through, then you fight him. Again. He carries this massive yellow ball with a face on it, he chucks it at you 3 times, twice it bounces, once it rolls, repeat. My problem was hitting Zazz. Again. I kept homing him which hits him without damage, you just sort of bounce off. So i was trying to bounce in front of his face like last time but he's standing still this time round: last time he was running at you which made it easier to time as he pretty much ran in to you. This time it just seemed pot luck. I was hitting him sometimes but not really understanding why. Anyway, i died loads.

What i havent mentioned is that I used all my lives up and had to continue TWICE before I even got to this boss encounter. Once you get to him and you inevitably die because he's really hard to hit you have to repeat that minute long chase sequence before you get to fight him and his stupid ball again. So I did that five times, repeating that shitty chase sequence and then dying because I coudnt hit Zazz. On the fifth and final time, on the chase sequence I died by trying to homing attack a pinball thing ( you know, red and blue thing with a yellow star) that makes Sonic ping through the air at speed but it didnt home in, it missed, so instead i just plummeted to my death down the gap next to it. Then I turned it off.

I dont know why I bother. I honestly had no fun what so ever in the 30 minutes or so I played.

Sonic game for sale, only used once. Anybody?

according to gaf it gets better after the first world. I'm still interested in playing it but it's not just not realising it was out that's stopped me dropping money on it straight away. I really liked Generations on the pc, but there's been something about this one that's not got me excited, it doesn't help that there's no demo. Still if you want to send it to me I'll play through it for you and call someone a cunt

Sonic was quick to print a retraction when he fucked up playing illdog Adventures 7 so I can at least extend him the same courtesy.

The L trigger. I missed that. It revs up Sonic and you can pound on Zazz with that. The boss fight is a piece of piss. I'm sorry Sonic Lost World, I'm an idiot.

So on to the next world. Cant remember what its called but its Dry Dry Desert in Mario terms. The first level was a little long and uninspired but I did get some enjoyment out of it. Things are looking better. *blush and that*

To be fair to Sonic The HedgeHOG, illdog Adventures 7 was a pile of wank, once youve played through the first 6 games, capturing children, eating dry meats and avoiding Betty gets a bit old anyway. There was that bit in 3 where you meet the handsome scoundrel and the bearded bard which was a highlight but after that it was same old same old.

Alternative opinion time. I quite like what I've played of it so far....I'm at the end of the 4th world. I haven't noticed any problems with hitting the bosses and doing no damage to them...basically if you bounce on or homing attack them and they flash, you've hit them. The only thing that did confuse me a little at first is that both A and B can be used to jump but once you're airbourne only A can be used to do the homing attack (B will just make Sonic do a double jump, though A will also do this if there's no enemies around). If you jump next to a group of enemies as well, you only have to hit the homing attack button once and Sonic will immediatly bounce on all targeted enemies in succession. It's pretty simple once mastered and I've had no issues with it being feeling unfair or anything like that, only when I've pressed the wrong button once or twice which is entirely my own fault.

It tries really, really hard to be Super Mario Galaxy at some points and very nearly succeeds (especially in the third world), but the level designs and prescision control just aren't quite there. But it is what it is, and what it is...is easily one of the best modern Sonic games. A solid 8/10 and a recommendation from me to anyone who likes the look of it.

I'm interested in getting the 3DS version now as well at some point.

I haven't noticed any problems with hitting the bosses and doing no damage to them...basically if you bounce on or homing attack them and they flash, you've hit them.

I must have done that homing attack on Zazz in the first world about 6 or 7 times in a row without him flashing, it made think I was doing something wrong. Sonic would hit him and just bounce off, Zazz would not flash with any consistency untill I discovered the spin attack with the L trigger. Then I was getting him 100% of the time.

I must have done that homing attack on Zazz in the first world about 6 or 7 times in a row without him flashing, it made think I was doing something wrong. Sonic would hit him and just bounce off, Zazz would not flash with any consistency untill I discovered the spin attack with the L trigger. Then I was getting him 100% of the time.

Weirdness.

I beat him as easily as any first world Sonic boss by just jumping, waiting a split second for the lock on reticule to appear and then hitting A to homing attack him.

The challenge of the game overall ramps up a fair amount in world 5, that's something I will say. It's not unmanageable, but it's noticeably more difficult. In some ways, it's nice to see the Game Over screen now and then though, and have to pick yourself up, dust yourself off and try the level again from the beginning old school style....most games nowadays have forgotten what a Game Over screen is, for better or worse.

Playing Sonic Lost world is like pulling down the panties of a beautiful blonde and finding out she has a cock.

Its ok but its only ok, thats the highest praise I can lavish on it. Its trying so hard to be Mario Galaxy (for shame Sega) but it falls very short. I find the levels a little dull, its A to B shit with nothing you havent ever seen before in the middle. It has some instant deaths on some of the stright long levels hich I just love and I found another boss fight that makes you do a pointless bit of running before you get to re-fight him again - why not just start at the boss again? Stupid.

Oh and speaking of stupid, Sonic newst enemy? Big fruit. Oh no, here comes a massive apple, i should probably be able to hit it or at least run on top of it - oh nope, ive just lost all 180 of my rings, brilliant. Curse you sentient pomaceous spawn, you've bested me again.

And the cut scenes are awful.

I dont hate it, it just annoys me because it isnt as good as it feels like it should be.

• 5 weeks later...

there's a demo up on the eshop for this, it's only the first level, then a cutscene, that's it. It does mean I played the first level a few times, got all the red circle things, and it's impressive how many routes there are through the level. Most of them it's just running in a different straight line, but there are some very different routes in there.

Apart from that it's a bit of a shit demo, that level is fine, but it's nothing like enough to convince you to buy the game

• 4 months later...

I ask my self why I boot this up after about 5 minutes of play every single time, but I carry on. Its like there's a carrot dangled in front of me and I cant help but run toward it.

Ive got stuck a couple of times. Not get help from Gamefaqs stuck, just stuck on what seems a fairly linear level but with no idea how to proceed. Some of this may come from playing on the pad. When you play on the TV it tells you there is a hint on the gamepad. Ive no idea why this just couldnt pop up on the pad screen but hey.

You roll over these little octopus dudes in jars and they give you a 'colour' power. The first time i got one of these particular powers on some shitty ice level I had no idea what to do with it. I used it, following the instructions that appeared on the screen and all it did was bounce me off a wall once then it was depleted. So I was confused. The natural route from this point is actually through a pipe at the end of the platforming area but this takes you back to an earlier part of the level. Ok, i thoight, ive used that shitty power wrong. So i travel back, (only takes about two minutes) and the power hasn't respawned. Despite thinking that that was pretty shit I went back through the pipe ran, through the level again and there was the power up. Used it again, wrongly again.

After a bit of this and some fucking ridiculous deaths from these drill beak creatures that spawn underneath you no matter how how hard you seem to dodge them I discovered the use of the stupid colour power. I had noticed these crystals that were between two platform walls earlier but they were on a field of spikes, i thought maybe you could home attack them but I was wrong, i just lost all my rings. Turns out you use this colour power on the crystal and it sort of pings you to where you want to go. What I cant understand is why arent these crystals right by the power up placement? I mean if its the first time you use something in a game you shouldn't have to guess how to fucking use it.

And that's why this game is a bit pants, it's poorly designed in lots of places, The amount of random deaths you have is infuriating. It lacks any sort of flow. I'm not even trying to zoom around everywhere, that doesnt seem to be what Sonic is about too much these days, just going hell for leather gets you killed. Not that there isn't room to do this sometimes but you can only do it when the game tells you too.

But I cant stop playing it.

• 3 weeks later...

You're not allowed to enjoy this game. It's so riddled with cheap deaths that it spoils any good idea. It just shits on you all the time.

I think i might be at the last boss, there's probably one after him but the level to get to him (Sky Road 4) is just so awful and un-fun I want to punish the developers by never bothering with it again. But I will because I need to beat it and then do horrible things to the game disc.

It has a really horrible habit of making you do mundane platforming or worse really easy mini boss killing just after a checkpoint, then not giving you another checkpoint and chucking a hard or confusing section at you. Then you die and have to do the boring bit again, maybe two or three times before you get past the hard bit and hit a checkpoint.

There was no need for it to be this way. I can see a good game underneath its scabby cunt of an asshole layer on top which is all the more frustrating.

Honestly, fuck this game.

• 1 month later...

illdog sent me this and said I'd probably like it more than him. That's possibly true but it's hardly rocking my world, I can't even place what's wrong with it, but it controls weird, slidey, like you aren't really in control. I don't feel like I can rely on the homing to trigger all the time either.

That all being said I wasn't hating it either, it wasn't a game I was looking forward to, I'd no great interest in ever playing it, but the first few levels were fine. I've just got to the ice world though and it's terrible, or the first act was. I don't think I understand the running along wall mechanics well enough either which I needed to do at one point, managed to sort of hop along the wall, but I don't know how I managed it