passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Comic Book Thread

hinn888

I’ve fallen down the weirdest rabbit hole of reading Spider-Man fan mail printed in the first issues of Amazing Spider-Man. It’s crazy, funny and heart warming to see people give just as much of a shit back then as they do today! People arguing over whether Spider-Man should have a sidekick, people saying how much they hate JJ for defaming Spider-Man, people saying “Have him join the FF!” then fan mail in the next issue calling those people out being like “Don’t you dare!”. They even print stuff that is not flattering. A lot of people saying Ditko draws Spider-Man well but his FF suck and how they like the characters but the plots aren’t very good. Even to stop making every super villain obsessed with nuclear/atomic sciences lol. Sorry, guys, you’ll have a long time to wait for that last one to stop.

It’s sort of wild to read. It’s almost like it’s not real. 

This was a fan letter first printed in Amazing Spider-Man #3 in 1963. The first Spider-Man comic to publish fan mail because of timing issues with the printer

EZea5_PX0AEBGJ-?format=jpg&name=900x900

Variants for Amazing Spider-Man #692 in 2013

1960s1.jpg

Hope you enjoyed, Phil ?

Legendary Batman Writer/Editor Dennis O’Neil Passes Away at 81

dennis-oneil.jpeg?resize=768,432

Dennis O’Neil, who wrote and/or edited Batman comics for 30 years, passed away Friday at the age of 81. As a writer, he was responsible for countless classic comics, both in Gotham City and around Marvel and DC. As an editor, he oversaw several industry-moving shifts and nurtured new talent that set high water marks for comics. And outside of comics, he wrote several novels, as well as some fan-favourite episodes of Batman: The Animated Series.

Nowhere is O’Neil’s influence on comics more evident than his influence on Frank Miller. O’Neil took over Batman comics in the 1970s, following the bright camp of the television series, and turned the Bat to the Dark Knight, adding edge and brood to a previously colourful character. O’Neil introduced Ra’s al-Ghul and Talia, Leslie Tompkins, Richard Dragon, and later Azrael to Gotham. He gave the world the Joker that we recognise today in “The Joker’s Five Way Revenge,” and revived Two-Face. And he wrote Miller’s first Batman story in a 1980 Christmas short. O’Neil then went on to Marvel, where he introduced Madame Web to the Spider-Man mythos; put Jim Rhodes in the Iron Man armor; and edited Frank Miller’s eternal classic run on Daredevil.

But while his impact on comics may have been greatest through his influence on Miller, his greatest works as a comics creator came elsewhere. He and Neal Adams worked together on seminal DC books – from Superman vs. Muhammad Ali to the Hard Travelling Heroes era of Green Lantern/Green Arrow, pitting the space lawman with the magic wishing ring and the Robin Hood knockoff with boxing glove arrows against new enemies like heroin and racism. He also reportedly gave Optimus Prime his name.

Arguably his greatest work, O’Neil teamed with Denys Cowan and Rick Magyar on a revival of The Question. This was a dense, cerebral noir about a city collapsing under the weight of its own corruption, and was accompanied in single issue format (and not yet recreated in digital form) by reading lists for each issue that went well beyond the world of comics. 

O’Neil later taught at the School of Visual Arts, influencing even more generations of comic creators. He served on the board of the Hero Initiative, a charity dedicated to taking care of comic creators in need. And in late 2018, he was honoured by the Jimmy Carter Presidential Library as the keynote speaker at their “Comic Books and Social Justice” event.

?

My much delayed Superman/Batman Omnibus vol 1 finally turned up today. Been waiting for this for ages. 

Ea9b6LBXkAAtLHl?format=jpg&name=large

Next to a standard 6 issue trade for reference

Ea9b6sKXsAQ5aO-?format=jpg&name=large

It collects #1-43 plus a couple of annuals. The only part of this series I’ve ever read is actually the second half which will be collected in a second Omnibus later. So I think this is all new for me. 

• 2 weeks later...

Daredevil continues to be awesome. After accidentally murdering a guy in a fight, giving up being a hero, being retrained by Elektra, DD is put to the test when Bullseye, Rhino, Crossbones, Bullet, Stiltman and The Owl all attack Hells Kitchen at the same time. Really nails what DD is about and the art is phenomenal. Reminiscent of Born Again in a lot of ways with huge city destruction and heroic shots of Daredevil against huge walls of fire. Completely earned story, though, and not just a story about inner strength but redemption as well.

nn5w6AYA0uBmBdYO2rFAGhQzcYRLis7HzGuQ9MGG
FBQzfNECW5rmSrEcXj34PocLKUZzBTQc_qZNH_IE

2NXuOwo9gq_AnEVlLsL7cdlfl1URbZqF-lJf2UDw

Marvel have acquired the Aliens and Predator comic license 

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/marvel-comics-grabs-alien-and-predator-licenses-from-dark-horse/

Last year they got Conan and made him part of the Marvel Universe. He almost banged Scarlet Witch and temporarily joined an Avengers team. So I guess then there is a very good possibility that Marvel characters will interact with Aliens and Predator as well. 

DC did this years ago. Superman, Batman and Green Lantern have all fought Aliens, Predators and even Terminators before.

Instead of the Kree/Skrull war they could have the Aliens/Brood war or maybe Galactus gets an Alien egg in his chest lol

I used to like crossovers but it's an idea I find rather dumb these days. Not too fond of the idea that buying a Predator comic puts money in Disney's pockets either but I guess it makes sense as they already acquired the movie IP when they bought FOX.

I think Daredevil vs Predator would be a good fight. Do Predator 2 but with Daredevil as the main character instead. 

“There’s a demon in Hell’s Kitchen” yada, yada

I think DD’s powers match up well against Predator

The thing is though, Marvel already have The Brood as the Xenomorph parallel...

528b0bb511b3635fae7a30635e27825d.jpeg

Plus Death's Head, The Fury and a few others to parallel Predator. I don't really know how they will integrate them without annexing the established "knock-offs"?

marvel-predator.jpg?resize=768,1171&ssl=

That said, this image does look pretty cool.

How many Marvel characters have fire powers, or have wings, or are geniuses, or are red headed, supporting females. Marvel has no concern for overcrowding or having too similar characters this will be fine.

Also like I said on the last page an Alien/Brood war could be fun. Or Aliens team up with Annihilus and become part of his new Annihilation wave and only Predators know how to beat them or something. 

Disney does

I don’t think Disney cares about comics, though, at least not about Marvel comics hoarding all the licenses. They don’t make enough money. Only recently IDW have started doing comics with Marvel characters. I bet that was a Disney decision because they look more like the movies, which I bet Marvel doesn’t like but they don’t have a say in. 

9 minutes ago, Maf said:

Marvel has no concern for overcrowding or having too similar characters this will be fine.

True. Plus, most of the time, more than half of the alien races of the Marvel Universe go unused anyway.  Movie-creep is ever present though. Since the films raised the profile of the Chitauri, who were originally just the Ultimate Universe name for the Skrulls. They have been shoe-horned into regular continuity, casting the Badoon - the traditional go-to evil aliens (and classic enemies of the GoTG) - into obscurity.

I was watching a Let’s Play of Spider-Man PS4 and it reminded me of that time that Doc Ock body snatched Peter, left him for dead and became Spider-Man for 2 years. Given the same guy who wrote the comics helped write the game I think there will be some version of this in the future. 

Spoiler
wCDrUGfaLBU3fBpFHI4xRiDaTjtpAmvvgQmFSFgg
Pgs46toLfitB6qRCrRpCrg75Z2qGXHzlZFfvsE6I

xJWAavWbwhMU0DI6lt9XRTU8kffaXSELyRMZQdSC
yQhIu7JOhAartt7DlpYsYSQkgDrvpvKTjMICGaCc

3KaQvWeV1JXCxOxiRef6nTdA8Fwf6x-jjUhc6FE8
dJQzZ4bTEc5EYzj6lWSnURnF3nvvrh0km1ftNhkR

-tRV2ktJwk9_gPqlUCnjiccMDleWhrvJtSBKJK8d
mE_cQ_bl0QaiXytqxCSxCYn0VuxYZzdnK9od6T9J

GvHnsNeMsw1rFsmRUXphn5nHhZQaODnsx50L2liL
b4vVpqYKFbBdHv9dUODC_E08ot6TMa10CVh0TlTc

V5zHv3CwwUK67O-jTdFZKhUCGEukUFheFfV3hS6x
Rvgl_3t9kPl-g8eFiaa3K_MXCq_S9WtDgiu-CZ0_

oWN0W5QoWiBrTxHVB5YVu-8X0TIpqoHCZ05DMPJC

• 2 weeks later...

coms.jpg

These turned up today.

FF #21 - unfortunately, it's a tie-in to an event book. Don't be fooled by the cover either, those costumes aren't in it. Nor is there any real conflict that warrants that image.. yet. It was an ok issue, but as it was part of a separate book's story, I view it as more a break to the ongoing series than an issue in its own right. 6/10

Doom Patrol #7 - I've pretty much ceased to care what is going on in this book. The protracted periods of hiatus have shattered whatever agency the plot one had. Oddly enough this one and done issue does play out like a series finale. Albeit a somewhat meek and largely lacklustre one. Which at this point, wouldn't surprise me at all. 5/10

After having a few video game heavy weeks I started to catch up on comics again. 

Batman #93. The new Designer bad guy has shown to be just a device to lead into Joker War. I was wondering how one would transition in to the other. Pretty decently actually. Joker’s first steps. Have Harley’s throat cut open, use Catwoman for Wayne’s account information, have her shot and then take all of Batman’s money. Not bad for the first leg. 

dsWs4xtHvetKbxUaTnmNQIcqEyoUWtSk-WT1WQVe

Thor 5. Donny Cates continues to be what I would call a perfect ‘pop’ writer. All of his ideas are big, simple, built out of the familiar but to do things exciting and surprising. Thor and Galactus face off against the Black Winter, which Thor was lead to believe was the thing that destroyed the previous universe. That might not be true though and really Galactus might want to kill this thing because Galactus used to be the Black Winter’s herald. Familiar concept, surprising result. 

KVsZY_r8kqVRKEJwlpOW1N1npN6gfmuUuAyfSzmO

Dark Nights Death Metal #1. There is so much going on in this comic I have no chance of remembering most of it by the time I read #2. Doom beat Justice. Every Crisis has been instigated by Perpetua. Earth has been turned into a prison planet controlled by The Batman Who Laughs. An evil Bruce Wayne is being made in to Doctor Manhattan. There is a robot T-Rex Batman. Wonder Woman is the queen of hell, melted down her invisible jet and used it to create an invisible, magic chainsaw. Birth of the Anti-Crisis. Curly turds.

rYSs8KtI4lkoTrxqjHXzhkDV3OCL_JMyuveB2HFI